Singapore Expats

Should we have a FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
musical box
Regular
Regular

Should we have a FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT?

Post by musical box » Sat, 22 Jan 2022 1:23 pm

"Why is the Freedom of Information Act important?
Access to information helps the public make public authorities accountable for their actions and allows public debate to be better informed and more productive. Access to official information can also improve public confidence and trust if government and public sector bodies are seen as being open."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Should we have a FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Jan 2022 4:56 pm

Can-of-worms.jpg
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 24 Jan 2022 2:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 22 Jan 2022 4:56 pm
Can-of-worms.jpg
Hahaha you’re not wrong, but unfortunately useless we have these tough conversations a things will always stay the same.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 24 Jan 2022 2:22 am

musical box wrote:
Sat, 22 Jan 2022 1:23 pm
"Why is the Freedom of Information Act important?
Access to information helps the public make public authorities accountable for their actions and allows public debate to be better informed and more productive. Access to official information can also improve public confidence and trust if government and public sector bodies are seen as being open."
My vote is yes. Transparency is so important, and the one thing I feel Singapore sorely lacks. The lack of transparency opens the government up to a total lack of accountability at times, because nobody can question them for their actions.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Jan 2022 2:56 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 24 Jan 2022 2:21 am
Can-of-worms.jpg
Hahaha you’re not wrong, but unfortunately useless we have these tough conversations a things will always stay the same.
I've been here 5 months shy of 40 years now. Want to know how many times this has been discussed? And it still stays the same. When the PAP has a stranglehold on parliament it will always stay that way. Sadly, the alternative for the country is worse if an opposition here should win enough seats to unseat the current government, based on the performance of the current day opposition parties. Until the opposition starts calling themselves something besides 'the opposition' and realizing that they don't actually have to oppose everything, only then will they be able to approach having any credibility. The only non-PAP politician that has been worth anything was shafted by his own protégé, Chee Soon Juan, from within his own party. Chiam See Tong actually was a good politician and try as they might, PAP could not dislodge him. But to his credit he never faltered and he also voted aye with the PAP more times than not if it felt is was the best policy.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 3:27 am

Mon, 24 Jan 2022 2:56 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Can-of-worms.jpg
I've been here 5 months shy of 40 years now. Want to know how many times this has been discussed? And it still stays the same. When the PAP has a stranglehold on parliament it will always stay that way. Sadly, the alternative for the country is worse if an opposition here should win enough seats to unseat the current government, based on the performance of the current day opposition parties. Until the opposition starts calling themselves something besides 'the opposition' and realizing that they don't actually have to oppose everything, only then will they be able to approach having any credibility. The only non-PAP politician that has been worth anything was shafted by his own protégé, Chee Soon Juan, from within his own party. Chiam See Tong actually was a good politician and try as they might, PAP could not dislodge him. But to his credit he never faltered and he also voted aye with the PAP more times than not if it felt is was the best policy.
Frankly I believe that the PAP’s hold over Singapore may not be for much longer. This past GE was one of the first times when the PAP did not win by their usual landslide, instead it was one of the most (if not the most, I can’t seem to remember) successful elections for the opposition. No doubt the recent Raeesah Khan incident has dampened their credibility, but I wouldn’t say it so much dampened the WP’s credibility as it did Raeesah Khan’s. I think any competent government needs a strong opposition to keep them on their toes. I believe the WP is slowly but surely coming into this role.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 6:04 am

When has a FOIA truly been transparent?

We still don’t know who killed JFK…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 12:16 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 25 Jan 2022 3:27 am
Lisafuller wrote:

Frankly I believe that the PAP’s hold over Singapore may not be for much longer. This past GE was one of the first times when the PAP did not win by their usual landslide, instead it was one of the most (if not the most, I can’t seem to remember) successful elections for the opposition. No doubt the recent Raeesah Khan incident has dampened their credibility, but I wouldn’t say it so much dampened the WP’s credibility as it did Raeesah Khan’s. I think any competent government needs a strong opposition to keep them on their toes. I believe the WP is slowly but surely coming into this role.
I'll have to just agree to disagree. I've lived in Aljunied GRC for the past 22 years, long before the WP took over and ever since. My view is biased but based on day to day experience with them and their shenanigans.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 10:53 pm

Tue, 25 Jan 2022 12:16 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 25 Jan 2022 3:27 am

I'll have to just agree to disagree. I've lived in Aljunied GRC for the past 22 years, long before the WP took over and ever since. My view is biased but based on day to day experience with them and their shenanigans.
Fair enough, but I will say at the very least it is undeniable that the WP has really stepped up their game in recent years, even if you disagree about them eclipsing the PAP, you can’t deny they are closing in at the very least.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 10:54 pm

BBCDoc wrote:
Tue, 25 Jan 2022 6:04 am
When has a FOIA truly been transparent?

We still don’t know who killed JFK…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t we though…

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Jan 2022 11:04 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 25 Jan 2022 10:53 pm
Fair enough, but I will say at the very least it is undeniable that the WP has really stepped up their game in recent years, even if you disagree about them eclipsing the PAP, you can’t deny they are closing in at the very least.
I am sure you have seen this or at least heard it before, but it just about sums it up over here in Aljunied. Sadly they have inferior quality toilet paper.
1 oh shit.jpg

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 1:32 am

This is so true. One negative takes away the hundreds of positives.