Singapore Expats

Best vegetarian meat alternatives

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Best vegetarian meat alternatives

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:32 am

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 03 Feb 2022 2:16 am
malcontent wrote:
Thu, 03 Feb 2022 1:32 am
I’m not vegetarian but I don’t miss meat when it’s Indian vegetarian. My favorite is anything with nice big chunks of paneer! It’s nothing like western cottage cheese, paneer is added to dishes like squares of tofu, but denser & tastier… I could eat that all day!
Seeing that you are into DIY (from the other thread on food), you should probably give home made paneer a shot. The good freshly made stuff is soft and silky smooth in texture unlike the ready made stuff you get in supermarkets. The texture is similar to silky tofu but the taste is different obviously. You don't get it anywhere in Singapore or at least not that I'm aware of.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t making homemade cheese involve using Rennet? Wouldn’t that, then, make it not vegetarian?

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:44 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:31 am
malcontent wrote:
I’m not vegetarian but I don’t miss meat when it’s Indian vegetarian. My favorite is anything with nice big chunks of paneer! It’s nothing like western cottage cheese, paneer is added to dishes like squares of tofu, but denser & tastier… I could eat that all day!
I’m not sure I’ve ever tried paneer, does it taste like cheese at all? Or is it more of a texture thing.
You might mistake it for squares of tofu, but it’s more firm and flavorful.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:47 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:32 am
smoulder wrote:
malcontent wrote:
Seeing that you are into DIY (from the other thread on food), you should probably give home made paneer a shot. The good freshly made stuff is soft and silky smooth in texture unlike the ready made stuff you get in supermarkets. The texture is similar to silky tofu but the taste is different obviously. You don't get it anywhere in Singapore or at least not that I'm aware of.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t making homemade cheese involve using Rennet? Wouldn’t that, then, make it not vegetarian?
While I love freshly made paneer, I'm not quite sure what they use to make it. I'd be very surprised if it's anything which is not vegetarian given the number of vegetarians who eat it in India. I'm not a vegetarian, so I don't care if it's not vegetarian, but I believe it does conform to the definition of vegetarian.

To your question about what it tastes like, a good paneer should be rich and creamy and a similar texture as silken tofu. Probably slightly more firm. You can eat it without cooking it.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 2:20 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:44 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:31 am
malcontent wrote:
I’m not sure I’ve ever tried paneer, does it taste like cheese at all? Or is it more of a texture thing.
You might mistake it for squares of tofu, but it’s more firm and flavorful.
Ahh, sounds interesting. I’ve always been a little turned off to the idea of cheese in Indian food, but if it’s more like tofu it might be pretty nice.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 2:21 am

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:47 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:32 am
smoulder wrote:

While I love freshly made paneer, I'm not quite sure what they use to make it. I'd be very surprised if it's anything which is not vegetarian given the number of vegetarians who eat it in India. I'm not a vegetarian, so I don't care if it's not vegetarian, but I believe it does conform to the definition of vegetarian.

To your question about what it tastes like, a good paneer should be rich and creamy and a similar texture as silken tofu. Probably slightly more firm. You can eat it without cooking it.
I’m not strictly vegetarian either, just wondering since I’m not sure how else cheese would be made.