Singapore Expats

Police raids handphone shops

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Police raids handphone shops

Post by abbby » Mon, 17 Jan 2022 2:38 pm

This is a good start to find the root of the problem for scams...mobile numbers of scammers and shops who sell the SIM cards to them... :-" :-"

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapo ... am-2439256
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Police raids handphone shops

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 17 Jan 2022 2:43 pm

Also need to do block SenderID or require registration as this blogger / researcher points out.

https://captain-sinkie.com/articles/202 ... ngaporeans

"Edit: upon doing more research on this, I realise that there are countries which require registration before you are allowed to use a custom senderId. So Singapore could do this, for example if our law makers pass a law to enforce telcos to do so."
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Mon, 17 Jan 2022 2:54 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 17 Jan 2022 2:43 pm
Also need to do block SenderID or require registration as this blogger / researcher points out.

https://captain-sinkie.com/articles/202 ... ngaporeans

"Edit: upon doing more research on this, I realise that there are countries which require registration before you are allowed to use a custom senderId. So Singapore could do this, for example if our law makers pass a law to enforce telcos to do so."
Yes something needs to be done on this...
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 18 Jan 2022 9:08 am

To be clear while I am pleased OCBC are paying out to those scammed I do feel the gahmen here is really letting the side down on cyber security.

The SenderID issue (which is how these people were tricked) is a govt regulation issue. The theft of NRIC data from MyRepublic needs the govt to step in with a bloody big fine and shape up MyRepublic. First class country my ass.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Tue, 18 Jan 2022 1:10 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 18 Jan 2022 9:08 am
To be clear while I am pleased OCBC are paying out to those scammed I do feel the gahmen here is really letting the side down on cyber security.

The SenderID issue (which is how these people were tricked) is a govt regulation issue. The theft of NRIC data from MyRepublic needs the govt to step in with a bloody big fine and shape up MyRepublic. First class country my ass.
I am pleased with the OCBC outcome too..their system itself has some problem which needs a lot of tightening.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 18 Jan 2022 1:21 pm

Well - not just OCBD but the regulators as well. For a country that likes to micromanage it's systems there are some glaringly large holes in their systems.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 21 Jan 2022 1:22 am

abbby wrote:
Tue, 18 Jan 2022 1:10 pm
PNGMK wrote:

I am pleased with the OCBC outcome too..their system itself has some problem which needs a lot of tightening.
Same here, repaying those who were scammed is a great gesture, although could have been avoided entirely had they been more cautious.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 21 Jan 2022 1:23 am

PNGMK wrote:

Are you saying the scammers obtained the contacts of the victims through data leaks? I had assumed it was some sort of hack on OCBC itself, although I’m not too savvy so I could be way off.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 21 Jan 2022 10:36 am

I think there have been far too many data leaks here (and some really bad ones) and the gahmen has NOT slapped the source of the leaks (poorly secured data held by telcos etc) hard enough.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Fri, 21 Jan 2022 3:49 pm

Apparently the people let the guard down because the sender id came directly as legit OCBC..can't blame them especially sometimes you are busy/inattentive and to overlook the tiniest details. At least they have a happy ending receiving the goodwill payouts. Phew..

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 21 Jan 2022 11:32 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 21 Jan 2022 10:36 am
I think there have been far too many data leaks here (and some really bad ones) and the gahmen has NOT slapped the source of the leaks (poorly secured data held by telcos etc) hard enough.
I remember just some time ago there was a huge Singpass data leak… can’t imagine how they haven’t learned their lesson.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 21 Jan 2022 11:37 pm

abbby wrote:
Fri, 21 Jan 2022 3:49 pm
Apparently the people let the guard down because the sender id came directly as legit OCBC..can't blame them especially sometimes you are busy/inattentive and to overlook the tiniest details. At least they have a happy ending receiving the goodwill payouts. Phew..
The scammers are getting smarter and smarter nowadays, if countermeasures are not taken to prevent incidents like this from happening, it can be so easy to get scammed. Wish more was done to educate the public and to strengthen cyber security systems so we wouldn’t have to learn the hard way.