is haze season back again?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 8:50 pm
Answers: 1
Location: East Coast

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Tue, 18 Jan 2022 9:59 pm

Burned smell was back tonight with the winds. But seems it is only in the east area, which can give some hint where it's coming from

User avatar
jwoods1864
Regular
Regular
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 3:00 am

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by jwoods1864 » Wed, 19 Jan 2022 6:56 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:03 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 15 Jan 2022 12:37 pm
It would appear that it could be haze/smoke from fires in the Riau Province of Sumatra.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?i ... 8b7418b653

Open link then click map viewer on right side of page. Once it opens zoom into the area and the individual hotspots will be shown. They could be wild fires or signs of thermal activity of one sort or another.
Do they ever stop burning? Seems like every time there is a haze issue they are the culprits. So inconsiderate both to their neighbors and to the environment.
Indonesia's environmental record is absolutely atrocious. Vast swatches of virgin old rain forest are cut and burned every year, to plant... guess what... oil palms.

Oil palms will grow for about 20 to 25 years before becoming non-productive. The soil under oil palms is depleted of nutrients, so the thing to do is cut and bury the old trees so that they decompose to replenish the soil.

But Indonesian oil palm growers don't want the time or expense of recycling plantations. Instead, they (illegally) burn the forests to grow more palms. It takes rampant corruption for this practice to continue. The situation is so bad that many animals native to the rain forests are in danger of extinction due to habitat loss, particularly orangutans.

I will not purchase anything with palm oil in it. Peddled as "green" by the palm oil growers, palm oil plantations are anything but green. Take a trip into northern Malaysia and see how they are trying to deal with elephants and many other forms of wildlife that have been displaced by unfettered palm oil growth.

At least Malaysia, beset with its own top to bottom corruption problems, is trying to do something about the burning and habitat loss. Not so the Indonesians where corruption ensures that environments will be destroyed, from oil palms, to destroying the landscape for sand used to build Singapore's buildings.
The whole thing is sickening and really upsets me personally. Makes me ashamed to be human quite frankly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2651
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 21 Jan 2022 1:18 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 17 Jan 2022 1:46 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:03 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 15 Jan 2022 12:37 pm
It would appear that it could be haze/smoke from fires in the Riau Province of Sumatra.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?i ... 8b7418b653

Open link then click map viewer on right side of page. Once it opens zoom into the area and the individual hotspots will be shown. They could be wild fires or signs of thermal activity of one sort or another.
Do they ever stop burning? Seems like every time there is a haze issue they are the culprits. So inconsiderate both to their neighbors and to the environment.
Indonesia's environmental record is absolutely atrocious. Vast swatches of virgin old rain forest are cut and burned every year, to plant... guess what... oil palms.

Oil palms will grow for about 20 to 25 years before becoming non-productive. The soil under oil palms is depleted of nutrients, so the thing to do is cut and bury the old trees so that they decompose to replenish the soil.

But Indonesian oil palm growers don't want the time or expense of recycling plantations. Instead, they (illegally) burn the forests to grow more palms. It takes rampant corruption for this practice to continue. The situation is so bad that many animals native to the rain forests are in danger of extinction due to habitat loss, particularly orangutans.

I will not purchase anything with palm oil in it. Peddled as "green" by the palm oil growers, palm oil plantations are anything but green. Take a trip into northern Malaysia and see how they are trying to deal with elephants and many other forms of wildlife that have been displaced by unfettered palm oil growth.

At least Malaysia, beset with its own top to bottom corruption problems, is trying to do something about the burning and habitat loss. Not so the Indonesians where corruption ensures that environments will be destroyed, from oil palms, to destroying the landscape for sand used to build Singapore's buildings.
Absolutely horrific. Incredibly unethical and inconsiderate, not to mention the fact that palm oil is so unhealthy. The product is definitely not worth the sacrifice.

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2651
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 21 Jan 2022 1:19 am

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Tue, 18 Jan 2022 9:59 pm
Burned smell was back tonight with the winds. But seems it is only in the east area, which can give some hint where it's coming from
So disheartening. I’m surprised there aren’t more laws prohibiting this kind of incessant burning.

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2651
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 21 Jan 2022 1:21 am

jwoods1864 wrote:
Wed, 19 Jan 2022 6:56 am
Myasis Dragon wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:03 pm


Do they ever stop burning? Seems like every time there is a haze issue they are the culprits. So inconsiderate both to their neighbors and to the environment.
Indonesia's environmental record is absolutely atrocious. Vast swatches of virgin old rain forest are cut and burned every year, to plant... guess what... oil palms.

Oil palms will grow for about 20 to 25 years before becoming non-productive. The soil under oil palms is depleted of nutrients, so the thing to do is cut and bury the old trees so that they decompose to replenish the soil.

But Indonesian oil palm growers don't want the time or expense of recycling plantations. Instead, they (illegally) burn the forests to grow more palms. It takes rampant corruption for this practice to continue. The situation is so bad that many animals native to the rain forests are in danger of extinction due to habitat loss, particularly orangutans.

I will not purchase anything with palm oil in it. Peddled as "green" by the palm oil growers, palm oil plantations are anything but green. Take a trip into northern Malaysia and see how they are trying to deal with elephants and many other forms of wildlife that have been displaced by unfettered palm oil growth.

At least Malaysia, beset with its own top to bottom corruption problems, is trying to do something about the burning and habitat loss. Not so the Indonesians where corruption ensures that environments will be destroyed, from oil palms, to destroying the landscape for sand used to build Singapore's buildings.
The whole thing is sickening and really upsets me personally. Makes me ashamed to be human quite frankly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree, although its also crazy to think about how the actions of a few can cause such a large scale effect. A couple burning plantations creates pollution issues for countries hundreds of miles away.

Myasis Dragon
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 7:13 am
Answers: 3

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Myasis Dragon » Fri, 21 Jan 2022 1:35 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 21 Jan 2022 1:21 am
Agree, although its also crazy to think about how the actions of a few can cause such a large scale effect. A couple burning plantations creates pollution issues for countries hundreds of miles away.
If only it were a "couple burning plantations". More than 2.4 million acres was burned last year. That's 9,700 square kilometers. By comparison, Singapore is 718 square kilometers.

https://www.ran.org/indonesian-rainforests/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforesta ... _Indonesia

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2651
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 22 Jan 2022 2:07 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Fri, 21 Jan 2022 1:35 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 21 Jan 2022 1:21 am
Agree, although its also crazy to think about how the actions of a few can cause such a large scale effect. A couple burning plantations creates pollution issues for countries hundreds of miles away.
If only it were a "couple burning plantations". More than 2.4 million acres was burned last year. That's 9,700 square kilometers. By comparison, Singapore is 718 square kilometers.

https://www.ran.org/indonesian-rainforests/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforesta ... _Indonesia
Also relevant to consider the size difference between the 2 countries.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39226
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 6
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Jan 2022 4:48 pm

Why?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2651
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 24 Jan 2022 2:30 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 22 Jan 2022 4:48 pm
Why?
Singapore is over 2600 times smaller than Indonesia. The figures may be staggering at first glance, but a closer look at the size difference between the two countries helps to put these figures into perspective. Doesn’t make any of the burning okay, it’s still obviously excessive, but it does help to contextualize them.

Myasis Dragon
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 7:13 am
Answers: 3

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Myasis Dragon » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 12:32 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 24 Jan 2022 2:30 am
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 22 Jan 2022 4:48 pm
Why?
Singapore is over 2600 times smaller than Indonesia. The figures may be staggering at first glance, but a closer look at the size difference between the two countries helps to put these figures into perspective. Doesn’t make any of the burning okay, it’s still obviously excessive, but it does help to contextualize them.
You want context? 2.4 million acres is 80 percent of the size of Grand Canyon national park. It's 110 percent the size of Rhode Island. It's 130 percent of Yosemite national park. It's 10 times as large as all of New York City.

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2651
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 3:29 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Tue, 25 Jan 2022 12:32 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 24 Jan 2022 2:30 am
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 22 Jan 2022 4:48 pm
Why?
Singapore is over 2600 times smaller than Indonesia. The figures may be staggering at first glance, but a closer look at the size difference between the two countries helps to put these figures into perspective. Doesn’t make any of the burning okay, it’s still obviously excessive, but it does help to contextualize them.
You want context? 2.4 million acres is 80 percent of the size of Grand Canyon national park. It's 110 percent the size of Rhode Island. It's 130 percent of Yosemite national park. It's 10 times as large as all of New York City.
Believe me, I get it. My intention is not to excuse or diminish the scale of the burning in Indonesia, rather I just wanted to place the figure into perspective. As far as the burning goes, I think it’s disgustingly inconsiderate and I’m completely against it.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests