is haze season back again?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 8:50 pm
Answers: 1
Location: East Coast

is haze season back again?

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Wed, 12 Jan 2022 9:38 am

Since yesterday I could definitely smell that familiar burned smell in the air in the east: Changi, Bedok area. yesterday NEAs map still looked normal, now for east 24h PSI si upto 52 Moderate level.

Still all the maps look like there's no fires in Indonesia, but only in Cambodia-Myanmar region. Can the smell come from that far with right winds and no rain for a few days?

User avatar
abbby
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1549
Joined: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 3:00 am
Answers: 2
Location: Tiny Island

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by abbby » Wed, 12 Jan 2022 9:44 am

I smelled burnt smell yesterday afternoon, was very unsure what it was..Until now that you mention about haze. But the skies looks quite clear.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 13 Jan 2022 2:40 am

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Wed, 12 Jan 2022 9:38 am
Since yesterday I could definitely smell that familiar burned smell in the air in the east: Changi, Bedok area. yesterday NEAs map still looked normal, now for east 24h PSI si upto 52 Moderate level.

Still all the maps look like there's no fires in Indonesia, but only in Cambodia-Myanmar region. Can the smell come from that far with right winds and no rain for a few days?
Doubt its haze… perhaps a barbecue? Hahaha, frankly I quite like the “burned” smell, but not the haze that comes with it.

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 13 Jan 2022 2:40 am

abbby wrote:
Wed, 12 Jan 2022 9:44 am
I smelled burnt smell yesterday afternoon, was very unsure what it was..Until now that you mention about haze. But the skies looks quite clear.
Yes, skies seem pretty clear, although I do live in the West so may be different.

User avatar
SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 3:41 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by SGBoyxxx » Thu, 13 Jan 2022 5:48 pm

NEA claim no haze in news . I feel due to Malaysia side.

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 15 Jan 2022 2:19 am

SGBoyxxx wrote:
Thu, 13 Jan 2022 5:48 pm
NEA claim no haze in news . I feel due to Malaysia side.
What do you mean Malaysia side?

Myasis Dragon
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 7:13 am
Answers: 3

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sat, 15 Jan 2022 3:14 am

It could be Malaysia because there is still plenty of corruption in the country, as government officials look the other way. However, as a rule, Malaysia does a better job of plowing and burying old growth forests and old palm oil plantations than does Indonesia, where rampant corruption permits slash and burn to take out huge swatches of old forests, as well as old plantations.

You won't go wrong betting on Indonesia as the source of the smoke.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38943
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 Jan 2022 12:37 pm

It would appear that it could be haze/smoke from fires in the Riau Province of Sumatra.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?i ... 8b7418b653

Open link then click map viewer on right side of page. Once it opens zoom into the area and the individual hotspots will be shown. They could be wild fires or signs of thermal activity of one sort or another.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 2:44 am
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Pal » Sat, 15 Jan 2022 11:32 pm

I don't think there is any haze like before.

Recently been very windy and cool, lovely weather :)
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property
Image

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38943
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Jan 2022 2:35 am

I haven't noticed it at all. Just decided to see what was actually out there. Isn't much. Not like 3 or 4 years ago.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 2:44 am
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Pal » Sun, 16 Jan 2022 8:32 am

Oh yes, few years ago was so bad even visibility was a problem!

I remember my family nearly wanna buy tickets to get out of the country for a month or two.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property
Image

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:01 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Sat, 15 Jan 2022 3:14 am
It could be Malaysia because there is still plenty of corruption in the country, as government officials look the other way. However, as a rule, Malaysia does a better job of plowing and burying old growth forests and old palm oil plantations than does Indonesia, where rampant corruption permits slash and burn to take out huge swatches of old forests, as well as old plantations.

You won't go wrong betting on Indonesia as the source of the smoke.
I see, wouldn’t be surprised by Indonesia in the slightest.

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 15 Jan 2022 12:37 pm
It would appear that it could be haze/smoke from fires in the Riau Province of Sumatra.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?i ... 8b7418b653

Open link then click map viewer on right side of page. Once it opens zoom into the area and the individual hotspots will be shown. They could be wild fires or signs of thermal activity of one sort or another.
Do they ever stop burning? Seems like every time there is a haze issue they are the culprits. So inconsiderate both to their neighbors and to the environment.

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 2

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:04 pm

Pal wrote:
Sat, 15 Jan 2022 11:32 pm
I don't think there is any haze like before.

Recently been very windy and cool, lovely weather :)
Lots of rain especially! Although seems to have cleared in the last week or so. Previously most of my exercise sessions were cut short due to the rain.

Myasis Dragon
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 7:13 am
Answers: 3

Re: is haze season back again?

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 17 Jan 2022 1:46 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:03 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 15 Jan 2022 12:37 pm
It would appear that it could be haze/smoke from fires in the Riau Province of Sumatra.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?i ... 8b7418b653

Open link then click map viewer on right side of page. Once it opens zoom into the area and the individual hotspots will be shown. They could be wild fires or signs of thermal activity of one sort or another.
Do they ever stop burning? Seems like every time there is a haze issue they are the culprits. So inconsiderate both to their neighbors and to the environment.
Indonesia's environmental record is absolutely atrocious. Vast swatches of virgin old rain forest are cut and burned every year, to plant... guess what... oil palms.

Oil palms will grow for about 20 to 25 years before becoming non-productive. The soil under oil palms is depleted of nutrients, so the thing to do is cut and bury the old trees so that they decompose to replenish the soil.

But Indonesian oil palm growers don't want the time or expense of recycling plantations. Instead, they (illegally) burn the forests to grow more palms. It takes rampant corruption for this practice to continue. The situation is so bad that many animals native to the rain forests are in danger of extinction due to habitat loss, particularly orangutans.

I will not purchase anything with palm oil in it. Peddled as "green" by the palm oil growers, palm oil plantations are anything but green. Take a trip into northern Malaysia and see how they are trying to deal with elephants and many other forms of wildlife that have been displaced by unfettered palm oil growth.

At least Malaysia, beset with its own top to bottom corruption problems, is trying to do something about the burning and habitat loss. Not so the Indonesians where corruption ensures that environments will be destroyed, from oil palms, to destroying the landscape for sand used to build Singapore's buildings.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests