Singapore Expats

Isn’t it easy to get EP now?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
NP999

Isn’t it easy to get EP now?

Post by NP999 » Sun, 09 Jan 2022 10:09 pm

Hello all,
I used to hold EP from another company but it was cancelled during covid. I am currently working remotely for a SG company through an agency (common practice in SG). Now I would like to ask my agency to apply EP for me to go back to SG but they told me it is not possible to apply EP for now. Does government apply new rule or becoz they set the quota for EP?
Really appreciate your sharing.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Isn’t it easy to get EP now?

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 10 Jan 2022 9:21 am

Nope. This gahmen gone parochial as they are scare of losing next election.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

NP999

Post by NP999 » Mon, 10 Jan 2022 10:50 am

Seems my agency does not want to apply EP. can I ask them to do so now? Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Jan 2022 5:30 pm

NP999 wrote:
Mon, 10 Jan 2022 10:50 am
Why would you want to work for a company that doesn't even want you? :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 10 Jan 2022 6:53 pm

Are you getting paid in SGD in Singapore? Is this income taxable in Singapore? I'm wondering just which part of the arrangement isn't bending rules.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:07 pm

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 10 Jan 2022 6:53 pm
Are you getting paid in SGD in Singapore?
It doesn't matter. Where one is getting paid and the currency in which one is paid are both irrelevant to the tax situation.
Is this income taxable in Singapore? I'm wondering just which part of the arrangement isn't bending rules.

While there is incomplete information here, almost certainly the person is working as an independent contractor. "Working remotely" indicates he/she is in her/his home country performing the work. Therefore, this person would be considered an independent contractor/self employed in her/his home country and income tax would be due there.

Example: Dell Singapore hires me. They get me an EP. They pay me into my US bank account in the USA in USA dollars. I live in Singapore. I am tax resident in Singapore. I pay Singapore income tax.

Example 2: Dell figures I am working remotely from home in Singapore anyway, so they decide to cancel my EP, send me back to the USA and I work remotely for Dell in Singapore as an independent contractor. I now pay my taxes in the USA as a self employed person.

Example 3: Dell figures I am working remotely from home in Singapore anyway, so they decide to cancel my EP, send me back to the USA , only this time, Dell USA hires me onto their payroll. Now, I am a US Dell employee, and I pay tax as a working stiff in the USA.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 11 Jan 2022 8:57 am

You're fixated on Dell MD.... :)
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Tue, 11 Jan 2022 1:31 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 11 Jan 2022 8:57 am
You're fixated on Dell MD.... :)
Only because Round Rock likes to count the paperclips used in APAC.

NP999

Post by NP999 » Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:08 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 10 Jan 2022 5:30 pm
NP999 wrote:
Mon, 10 Jan 2022 10:50 am
Why would you want to work for a company that doesn't even want you? :-k
Lol. As long as they pay me so I don’t mind to work for them. The issue is they are not able to get EP so I have to work remotely.

NP999

Post by NP999 » Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:13 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:07 pm
smoulder wrote:
Mon, 10 Jan 2022 6:53 pm
Are you getting paid in SGD in Singapore?
It doesn't matter. Where one is getting paid and the currency in which one is paid are both irrelevant to the tax situation.
Is this income taxable in Singapore? I'm wondering just which part of the arrangement isn't bending rules.

While there is incomplete information here, almost certainly the person is working as an independent contractor. "Working remotely" indicates he/she is in her/his home country performing the work. Therefore, this person would be considered an independent contractor/self employed in her/his home country and income tax would be due there.

Example: Dell Singapore hires me. They get me an EP. They pay me into my US bank account in the USA in USA dollars. I live in Singapore. I am tax resident in Singapore. I pay Singapore income tax.

Example 2: Dell figures I am working remotely from home in Singapore anyway, so they decide to cancel my EP, send me back to the USA and I work remotely for Dell in Singapore as an independent contractor. I now pay my taxes in the USA as a self employed person.

Example 3: Dell figures I am working remotely from home in Singapore anyway, so they decide to cancel my EP, send me back to the USA , only this time, Dell USA hires me onto their payroll. Now, I am a US Dell employee, and I pay tax as a working stiff in the USA.
Exactly the 2nd is my situation

Hanmi1974

Post by Hanmi1974 » Wed, 07 Dec 2022 7:14 am

Has anyone - perhaps hiring or working in HR - heard more about difficulties getting EPs now? I previously had an EP in Singapore (I'm currently back in the US) and was approached about a job. It's a senior role in a niche field so a good fit as there really aren't many locals for the role. Now, everything's on hold as some senior person is worried about the cost/difficulty of getting an EP. Pre-pandemic I don't think I've ever seen this to be an issue.

I know the COMPASS rules go into effect Sept 2023. And even under those guidelines (if they are looking ahead to renewals) I'd still pass. Anything anecdotally even that would explain what's going on these days?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Dec 2022 12:05 pm

Getting close to election time.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hanmi1974

Post by Hanmi1974 » Thu, 08 Dec 2022 1:01 am

Elections? There's a presidential election next year but I thought the next parliamentary elections weren't until 2025

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Dec 2022 3:09 pm

True but this one has already been declared that the will be getting a change of PM as well. Lot more into play with this type as the wheels are already set in motions by them naming the next PM in waiting. Frankly it will be also an acid test as to how the government handled, in the public view, the covid pandemic as the last election was in the beginning of the pandemic in 2020. It was after the 2020 election that all the too'ing and fro'ing of restrictions started to take place, making the government look like they didn't have a clue. Lot's of other things will be remembered or brought up by the opposition, e.g., foreign workers locked up in dormitories. They did a lot of things right but also a lot of things could have been handled better with better human relations (something the gahment has always been short on).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Dec 2022 3:15 pm

Having said that, EP holders who still maintain a cushion over the new entry requirements will normally not have any issue getting their EP renewed but one also has to remember that the entry requirements has a shifting goal post that we are not privy to at the momenmt. The salary amounts has to be at least commensurate with the experience claimed. At the moment we have know idea of the ranking/years to be used and if it's a floating time bomb or not.