Singapore Expats

EP visa application time/ visitor visa option

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
BlueOrchid

EP visa application time/ visitor visa option

Post by BlueOrchid » Fri, 07 Jan 2022 5:04 am

Hi all,

Has anyone had recent experience applying for an EP visa? How long did it take?

I booked a flight to enter Singapore as I thought it would be approved before my start date (it still might be). the application will be submitted 3 weeks before my departure date.

Just need to understand whether I can still go to Singapore on a visit visa and wait for my EP visa to arrive , I won’t work until does. There’s a high chance my EP visa will be successful based on what I understand due to my high salary and level of experience.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: EP visa application time/ visitor visa option

Post by malcontent » Fri, 07 Jan 2022 1:41 pm

No experience post-Covid, but I have plenty of EP experience over the last 25 years. Rejections take longer than approvals.

The longest processing time I have ever experienced was a rejection after 2 months.

The shortest processing time I have ever experienced was an approval within 2 weeks.

You can stay in Singapore while you have an EP under processing, no issue.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

BlueOrchid

Post by BlueOrchid » Fri, 07 Jan 2022 10:17 pm

Thank you, that’s super helpful!

Hoping it will be closer to 2 weeks.

I will enter Singapore using my British Passport as a visitor if my approval in principal letter doesn’t come though in time for my flight. Do I need to advise immigration in Singapore that my EP visa is being processed?

Will be going with quite a bit of luggage as I plan to live in work and live in Singapore when the EP is processed, so thinking they might question why I have so much luggage.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 08 Jan 2022 10:49 am

BlueOrchid wrote:
Fri, 07 Jan 2022 10:17 pm
Thank you, that’s super helpful!

Hoping it will be closer to 2 weeks.

I will enter Singapore using my British Passport as a visitor if my approval in principal letter doesn’t come though in time for my flight. Do I need to advise immigration in Singapore that my EP visa is being processed?

Will be going with quite a bit of luggage as I plan to live in work and live in Singapore when the EP is processed, so thinking they might question why I have so much luggage.
Like any other country, the officer could (not always) ask the nature of your visit, and you should be totally honest.

In case they do ask, having evidence of the pending EP ready to show can avoid potential delays — this should have been provided to you by your employer.

But know that this is NOT going to change the outcome, they will still stamp your passport for a 90 day social visit pass. Therefore, if they don’t ask and just stamp your passport… just say thank you and be on your way.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

BlueOrchid

Post by BlueOrchid » Mon, 10 Jan 2022 1:01 am

That's great advice thank you!

musical box
Regular
Regular

Post by musical box » Mon, 10 Jan 2022 1:06 pm

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 07 Jan 2022 1:41 pm

The shortest processing time I have ever experienced was an approval within 2 weeks.
In year 2018 my IPA letter was issued 4 working days after my EP application.

intoview5

Post by intoview5 » Tue, 11 Jan 2022 12:29 am

Hi,

What salary and years of experience do you have with EP application?
Mine was submitted 30th Nov, SGD7K with 9 years experience. Coming to my 7th week now and am still waiting for results...
I'm starting to wonder if its delay due to the festive seasons or there's a problem with my application.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Tue, 11 Jan 2022 1:35 pm

intoview5 wrote:
Tue, 11 Jan 2022 12:29 am

I'm starting to wonder if its delay due to the festive seasons or there's a problem with my application.
There’s also an ongoing pandemic… work-from-home was the default working arrangement last year too and we don’t know what is ICA’s current work arrangement. Just give it time.

BlueOrchid

Post by BlueOrchid » Fri, 21 Jan 2022 3:36 am

**UPDATE

My visa application was submitted on 10 Jan 2021 and it was approved yesterday so it took just 9 days! I am absolutely ectastic particularly knowing how long it has taken other people to have theirs approved. I work for a large global financial company who used a local law firm to submit- I'm not sure whether this helped facilitate a quick turnaround.

A big thanks to everyone for your advice, especially to Malcontent. Pleased now that I don't have to worry about taking lots of luggage with me!

Good luck everyone with your visa applications!

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 21 Jan 2022 11:46 am

BlueOrchid wrote:
Fri, 21 Jan 2022 3:36 am
**UPDATE

My visa application was submitted on 10 Jan 2021 and it was approved yesterday so it took just 9 days! I am absolutely ectastic particularly knowing how long it has taken other people to have theirs approved. I work for a large global financial company who used a local law firm to submit- I'm not sure whether this helped facilitate a quick turnaround.

A big thanks to everyone for your advice, especially to Malcontent. Pleased now that I don't have to worry about taking lots of luggage with me!

Good luck everyone with your visa applications!
Glad it worked out well for you. Generally, the more prominent the company and the higher the salary, the faster the decision.

My company had initially expected a quick EP approval when I was first hired, because they are a prominent employer here and had never seen a rejection before — but back then I was only a year out of college and coming in fresh at an entry level salary (and I wasn’t Malaysian or Chinese).

musical box
Regular
Regular

Post by musical box » Sat, 22 Jan 2022 1:11 pm

FYI just got EP approved......... 6 working days from application.