Singapore Expats

Electrician to change socket type

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
nina.bhatt

Electrician to change socket type

Post by nina.bhatt » Tue, 04 Jan 2022 5:10 pm

Dear all

I am returning to the US. I have about 30 electrical appliances including lamps I would like to take home but the plus/sockets I have are for SG. Does anyone know of a professional who can help me switch the plug types. Happy to pay well to get someone reliable!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Electrician to change socket type

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 04 Jan 2022 6:52 pm

nina.bhatt wrote:
Tue, 04 Jan 2022 5:10 pm
Dear all

I am returning to the US. I have about 30 electrical appliances including lamps I would like to take home but the plus/sockets I have are for SG. Does anyone know of a professional who can help me switch the plug types. Happy to pay well to get someone reliable!
You know there is a voltage and frequency difference as well? Lamps need new bulbs.... some other appliances (esp with motors like hair dryers and blenders) can't be used at all on a different voltage / frequency.

Changing the plugs is a relatively simple job but unfortunately it's not easy to find good quality US pattern plugs here in Singapore IME. The good ones need to be ordered in and are expensive...

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mains-pl ... ts/8606738
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 04 Jan 2022 11:04 pm

For some items you can buy a replacement cord with a US plug, for example, items with an external “brick” transformer, so long as it states something like 110~240v on the brick. I’d suggest buying those on Amazon or similar when you get back to the US.

If the item doesn’t have a brick, check the back of the item and see if it even allows for a voltage range that includes 120v — many items won’t - - in that case it’s better to get rid of them before you go… because the only other option is to get a step up transformer which is going to be expensive.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Wed, 05 Jan 2022 2:09 am

Some of this is easy to do, other stuff, not so easy.

It is very easy to replace the plug ends that go into wall outlets. Anyone with a basic knowledge of electricity and a bit of handyman ability can swap out the ends.

But, that's only the beginning. The appliances must be capable of running on 120 volts or 240 volts in order for them to work in the USA. Most electronic devices these days, especially those sold internationally, will work on multiple voltages. This would include computers, TV sets, stereo systems, etc, but you need to check or risk burning out the device. Some will switch automatically, some require that a switch be turned to the new voltage. I killed my stereo amplifier when I brought it back to the USA... forgot to set the voltage switch. Fortunately, I really didn't like that amp very much at all.

Now, it gets more complicated. Appliances like hair dryers _may_ have a switch on them. Almost certainly, things that heat up, like toasters, kettles, electric griddles, and the like will only operate on one voltage. They won't work properly in the USA.

Almost all appliances with electric motors in them won't work, either, because they will be single voltage. Besides mixers, fans, vacuum cleaners, etc, most printers will only work on one voltage. And if they do happen to be dual voltage, they will run faster in the USA than in Singapore because of higher frequency electricity in the USA (60 Hz vs 50 Hz).

And finally, you will need to change out all the light bulbs in your light fixtures. But, Singapore uses European sizes while the USA uses... surprise... USA sizes. So, your standard screw in light bulb in Singapore is an E27, in the USA, an E26. Candelabra bulbs are E12's in the USA, E14 in Singapore. So, you may be able to simply swap bulbs because the USA bulb bases are slightly smaller, but depending upon the fit, it may not work. Example: I have two candelabra base lamps. The US bulbs fitted too loosely, such that as the light bulb heated up, the connection would be lost and the light would go out. I managed to find E24 base, 120 volt bulbs on Amazon.

One other thing. Your Singapore TV will work just fine in the USA (assuming it is dual voltage) if it is connected to HDMI inputs. But, it will not work for over the air TV or direct connect cable TV because of different TV signal standards. Even FM stations are different, although it appears that most FM radio receivers work in both places.

nina.bhatt

Post by nina.bhatt » Wed, 05 Jan 2022 8:37 am

Dear All

THANK YOU for the time and care given to respond. I am better educated now. I have two remaining questions:

1. Do I just need to replace the sockets or also the cord once I have ensured your feedback is incorporated

2. Is there someone or a highly reliable outfit here in SG that can help me with the switch outs? I heard there is an electrician at LIMs that does such switch outs. Can an ordinary electrician do the switch out reliably or is that risky? I don’t want to risk an electrical fire back in the US.

Thank you again🙏🏽

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 05 Jan 2022 9:12 am

Wow, FM radio… almost forgot about that! When I moved to Singapore in 1996 I brought my walkman and the FM radio worked well.

Nowadays, the only time I tune into FM radio is in the car. At home I tune into live streams via the TuneIn or iHeart radio apps… especially during Christmas, since they rarely play Christmas music on local radio.

For hair dryers, in our experience it’s better to buy a two separate ones (for each voltage) rather than one with a switch — it can work in a pinch, but not so great in terms of performance.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 05 Jan 2022 11:11 am

nina.bhatt wrote:
Wed, 05 Jan 2022 8:37 am
Dear All

THANK YOU for the time and care given to respond. I am better educated now. I have two remaining questions:

1. Do I just need to replace the sockets or also the cord once I have ensured your feedback is incorporated

2. Is there someone or a highly reliable outfit here in SG that can help me with the switch outs? I heard there is an electrician at LIMs that does such switch outs. Can an ordinary electrician do the switch out reliably or is that risky? I don’t want to risk an electrical fire back in the US.

Thank you again🙏🏽
1. No need to change the cord. Only the plug (FYI the plug is the male bit, the socket is the female bit).

2. I would probably find an electrician stateside to do it as you can buy a box of plugs there much easier than here.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 05 Jan 2022 12:36 pm

nina.bhatt wrote:
Wed, 05 Jan 2022 8:37 am
Dear All

Thank you again🙏🏽
Let me try to make this simple, step by step:

1. Check if the appliance can handle 120v - if it doesn’t, you probably can’t use it in the US, so no point changing anything. You will probably want to sell it or give it away locally. If it can handle 120v, proceed to step 2.

2. Check if the appliance has a cord that can be detached with a universal interface, IEC C7 being the most common (Google it). If it has that kind, it’s probably better to replace the cord. Goodwill or similar in the US would have tons of used ones for next to nothing.

3. If it doesn’t have a detachable cord, you can then look at replacing the plug. You could use a travel adapter temporarily until you sort it out.

Good luck and safe travels.