Singapore Expats

Unwed Singaporean/Expat parents

Discuss parenting issues with other moms here.
Cassiopeia

Unwed Singaporean/Expat parents

Post by Cassiopeia » Sun, 02 Jan 2022 2:20 am

I am an expat on EP and pregnant. Child's father is Singaporean and, although we are not in a relationship, is willing to take some responsibility from his side. If I understand correctly, my child will get Singaporean citizenship as long as I write down the father's name on the birth certificate. Does anyone know whether the fact that my child is Singaporean will increase my chances of getting a PR and eventually the citizenship? I can't seem to find much info about that.
Appreciate your feedback.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Re: Unwed Singaporean/Expat parents

Post by therat » Sun, 02 Jan 2022 9:18 am

Cassiopeia wrote:
Sun, 02 Jan 2022 2:20 am
I am an expat on EP and pregnant. Child's father is Singaporean and, although we are not in a relationship, is willing to take some responsibility from his side. If I understand correctly, my child will get Singaporean citizenship as long as I write down the father's name on the birth certificate. Does anyone know whether the fact that my child is Singaporean will increase my chances of getting a PR and eventually the citizenship? I can't seem to find much info about that.
Appreciate your feedback.
https://singaporelegaladvice.com/why-mi ... cal-child/
Citizenship
An illegitimate child’s citizenship status depends on whether the child’s mother is a Singapore citizen.

The Constitution of the Republic of Singapore requires the mother of the illegitimate child to be a Singapore citizen in order for the child to acquire citizenship by birth. Therefore, if the child’s mother is not a Singapore citizen, the child will not be able to acquire Singapore citizenship by birth even his or her biological father is a Singapore citizen. Having an Adoption Order will not, in itself, affect the citizenship status of the child.

7 Brutal Truths About Having an Illegitimate Child in Singapore
https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-ar ... singapore/