Singapore Expats

Possible/How to Evict Noisy Neighbour?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
unbelievable1981
Answers: 1

Possible/How to Evict Noisy Neighbour?

Post by unbelievable1981 » Mon, 27 Dec 2021 10:30 am

Dear expats,

Firstly you can refer to my previous post from some months ago if you want some context:
viewtopic.php?t=142036

Basically my neighbour continues to be a nuisance, if his friends are not screaming at 3am in the morning we've had this:
-The couple living there had an argument early in the morning where they banged the doors non-stop. It actually shock my floor and at first I thought Thor was fighting Thanos inside my living room!
This was a very scary situation, especially for children in the condo. Management has sent them a formal letter.
-They've a small dog. So if they go out, this dog barks non-stop for that time. If they go out 12 hours, then it barks for 12 hours. Generally they leave home at 8pm (yes at night) and do not return until 5am (yes the morning because they are KTV worker). So our sleeping hours are gone, not good as a professional that needs to be at their best for work each day of the week.

I've made multiple Police Reports, NEA/AVA about the dog, animal welfare groups, etc. with no response.
Condo Management and Security have tried their best but tenant just ignores them.
Now I've talked to my neighbours extensively and the one 2 floors below me is coming up for his TA renewal but he does not want to move, everything else in this condo is fantastic. The dog barking is driving us insane! We haven't slept a peaceful night in months.

Question:
Would it be possible to use our LL to write to Condo Management or even the offending Tenant's LL directly seeking eviction for multiple nuisance of other tenants?

I read through this but nothing in here about that they need to keep quite. Only that they need written permission from LL to keep pets:
https://www.cea.gov.sg/docs/default-sou ... s-2020.pdf
However I do know that some TA include that they can't disturb other people. But if Police and NEA are just ignoring my photos, videos and audio recordings of the incidents...I don't hold out much hope.
PS: I reviewed mitigation, seems long term most ppl are not successful and can take 5+ years with no relief.
by unbelievable1981 » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 4:43 pm
hey all, thanks for all your inputs! Some good help here so would like to summarise what someone else could do if this happens to them, basically my lessons learnt in this Singapore land of rules that don't actually get enforced.
Today the noisy neighbour is gone, he moved out...due to his lease expiry. I couldn't get any traction on this issue on every single thing that people mentioned.

-First time a noise incident happens, call your condo Security. Be polite, explain the noise, your name, your unit number and the unit with the noise. If they can't hear it outside, they may not take action.
-Start an incident log, use OneNote or a Word doc. Simply place the date, time and brief description of the issue. You will need this info later if you go to court.
-Ensure you make an audio or video recording using your phone. Again add it to you incident log. Try your best to rename the file to for example [01-January-2022]-[23:30]-[Dog Barking non-stop]
-Ensure you send an email to condo Management next day explaining the issue.
-Engage in friendly chats with Security and Management if the issue persists, hopefully Management will send a letter or email to the neighbour.
-Talk to any other neighbour that may be impacted, get their WhatsApp. Call Security at the same time if issue occuring.
-If Security are cool and the issue persist more than 3-4 times, call Police Hotline 1800 255 0000. The police will not come but it is more good evidence to collect.
-If issue still occurs maybe after several times. lodge a Police Report online. It's a very simple process that will take you 5-10 minutes but you need to use SingPass to login. Do not expect a reply but again it is good evidence. And if you know anyone else in condo having same issue, ask them to lodge a Police Report.
My experience is that Police called me after the third report to say don't call us about barking dogs.
-Regarding Landlords, nothing they can do and they only care about their money. Luckily after talking lots I sent an formal letter to my LL requesting they talk to my neighbour's LL, which they did but that neighbour's LL did not reply.
-Second last possible step is to go to Community Mediation Centre. Simply fill up their simple form with addresses and brief issue description. They then sent an official "On Government Service" letter to me and the offending neighbour. They have two weeks to reply and of course the neighbour did not reply.
Definitely do this if the issue is nearing one month old, CMC will call you by next business day to confirm they'll take up your issue. However if neighbour doesn't reply, nothing they can do beyond sending another letter stating as such.
https://cmc.mlaw.gov.sg/
-Last possible step you can take is this. Now you've all your evidence, audio recordings, incident log, letters from Management, Police Reports....you can go through the Community Disputes Resolution Tribunals (CDRT). It's very simple to lodge online but remember this is the State Courts, your evidence needs to be labelled correctly and you should try find the full name of your neighbour. The cost is $150 for you as the Plaintiff to lodge and if any other neighbour want to be part of this, they need to lodge their own "Claim Form" onto "CJTS" portal.
What you then do is serve documents on your noisy neighbour, wait two weeks for them to respond and earliest court date is four weeks away. For me it didn't come to this, I was about to file with my other neighbours against this noisy neighbour during upcoming long weekend.
Anyway some info on this process:
About:
https://www.judiciary.gov.sg/civil/file ... pute-claim
Prepare:
https://www.judiciary.gov.sg/civil/prep ... pute-claim
How to file:
https://www.judiciary.gov.sg/civil/how- ... pute-claim
CJTS website to perform file:
https://cjts.judiciary.gov.sg/home
Go to full post

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Possible/How to Evict Noisy Neighbour?

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 27 Dec 2021 11:51 am

Move out. There's nothing that can be done here. The law is weak and the cops are pussies, except of course if YOU retaliate they'll be all over you like a shower of shit. Don't ask me how I know.

I have had success before with barking dogs using SPCA.

For moving out you can fight for return of deposit etc with the help of a lawyer and the SCT. The house in not fit for purpose and you cannot enjoy peace and quiet. Make it your LL problem. They are the only one who can move the MA.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

unbelievable1981

Post by unbelievable1981 » Mon, 27 Dec 2021 12:53 pm

Thank you PNGMK! Perfect advice, will follow through with the agent to break lease.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Dec 2021 3:14 am

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 27 Dec 2021 11:51 am
Move out. There's nothing that can be done here. The law is weak and the cops are pussies, except of course if YOU retaliate they'll be all over you like a shower of shit. Don't ask me how I know.

For moving out you can fight for return of deposit etc with the help of a lawyer and the SCT. The house in not fit for purpose and you cannot enjoy peace and quiet. Make it your LL problem. They are the only one who can move the MA.
You’ve been through the ringer yourself? I’m having a similar issue with nuisance neighbors, but nowhere on this scale.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Dec 2021 3:15 am

unbelievable1981 wrote:
Mon, 27 Dec 2021 10:30 am
Dear expats,

Firstly you can refer to my previous post from some months ago if you want some context:
viewtopic.php?t=142036

Basically my neighbour continues to be a nuisance, if his friends are not screaming at 3am in the morning we've had this:
-The couple living there had an argument early in the morning where they banged the doors non-stop. It actually shock my floor and at first I thought Thor was fighting Thanos inside my living room!
This was a very scary situation, especially for children in the condo. Management has sent them a formal letter.
-They've a small dog. So if they go out, this dog barks non-stop for that time. If they go out 12 hours, then it barks for 12 hours. Generally they leave home at 8pm (yes at night) and do not return until 5am (yes the morning because they are KTV worker). So our sleeping hours are gone, not good as a professional that needs to be at their best for work each day of the week.

I've made multiple Police Reports, NEA/AVA about the dog, animal welfare groups, etc. with no response.
Condo Management and Security have tried their best but tenant just ignores them.
Now I've talked to my neighbours extensively and the one 2 floors below me is coming up for his TA renewal but he does not want to move, everything else in this condo is fantastic. The dog barking is driving us insane! We haven't slept a peaceful night in months.

Question:
Would it be possible to use our LL to write to Condo Management or even the offending Tenant's LL directly seeking eviction for multiple nuisance of other tenants?

I read through this but nothing in here about that they need to keep quite. Only that they need written permission from LL to keep pets:
https://www.cea.gov.sg/docs/default-sou ... s-2020.pdf
However I do know that some TA include that they can't disturb other people. But if Police and NEA are just ignoring my photos, videos and audio recordings of the incidents...I don't hold out much hope.
PS: I reviewed mitigation, seems long term most ppl are not successful and can take 5+ years with no relief.
Have you taken any measures to soundproof your home? Might do something to block out the noise and make living there much more bearable.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Dec 2021 3:16 am

unbelievable1981 wrote:
Mon, 27 Dec 2021 12:53 pm
Thank you PNGMK! Perfect advice, will follow through with the agent to break lease.
Didn’t even see this till I had typed up my previous response. Are you sure about moving? You seem to really like your condo, if you think everything else is perfect then why move? Unless you feel you have completely exhausted your options.

unbelievable1981

Post by unbelievable1981 » Tue, 28 Dec 2021 10:29 am

Thank you Lisa! Just out of interest what is your nuisance neighbour being up to please?
Good points you have. I've tried to soundproof but the noise is coming from the floor below me, rugs and rubber mats do nothing...even this sound can be heard in opposite rooms from where the dog is locked in. I think because we've very high ceilings for a 1-level unit, it acts like some kind of amplifier...note to go condos with medium ceilings that do not echo when you talk up to them ;)

If you can only sleep less than 1 hour per night and you've meetings starting at 7am, even 6am in the morning and where 5am to 8am is the only quite period if you're lucky...then moving is the best option for my mental health to keep my job.

Honestly wish there was a legal recourse in criminal and civil courts for the anguish but seems you just have to put up with it and hope that someone else can help.
Leave it with me for now, I'll try communicating with all relevant parties again...perhaps can swap condo and some other poor person can put up with a barking dog.

PS: I contacted SPCA again, they mentioned I need video evidence of the dog being tied up or the like. Simply because I've recordings from outside the unit, I've never seen the dog itself, then this is not a matter for SPCA but instead I should take up with AVS.
However AVS, if they do respond, simply refer you to their barking dog leaflets to somehow supposedly resolve the issue. If you truly love dogs, you would know that such barking is a sign of distress from the dog and you're also neglecting it's health...just as much as mine.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 Dec 2021 10:39 am

We live in a land of pimps and whores. Turn this into a monetary problem for your LL and it will resolve itself one way or the other.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 Dec 2021 10:40 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 28 Dec 2021 3:14 am
PNGMK wrote:

You’ve been through the ringer yourself? I’m having a similar issue with nuisance neighbors, but nowhere on this scale.
Yes we have right now a particularly difficult neighbour (a young skinny PRC guy who is now too scared to go in the elevator with me or even be outside if I am out in the corridor - I swear I haven't touched him). The last person you want to irritate is a guy who just spent 29 days offshore working hard.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Dec 2021 11:47 pm

unbelievable1981 wrote:
Tue, 28 Dec 2021 10:29 am
Thank you Lisa! Just out of interest what is your nuisance neighbour being up to please?
Good points you have. I've tried to soundproof but the noise is coming from the floor below me, rugs and rubber mats do nothing...even this sound can be heard in opposite rooms from where the dog is locked in. I think because we've very high ceilings for a 1-level unit, it acts like some kind of amplifier...note to go condos with medium ceilings that do not echo when you talk up to them ;)

If you can only sleep less than 1 hour per night and you've meetings starting at 7am, even 6am in the morning and where 5am to 8am is the only quite period if you're lucky...then moving is the best option for my mental health to keep my job.

Honestly wish there was a legal recourse in criminal and civil courts for the anguish but seems you just have to put up with it and hope that someone else can help.
Leave it with me for now, I'll try communicating with all relevant parties again...perhaps can swap condo and some other poor person can put up with a barking dog.

PS: I contacted SPCA again, they mentioned I need video evidence of the dog being tied up or the like. Simply because I've recordings from outside the unit, I've never seen the dog itself, then this is not a matter for SPCA but instead I should take up with AVS.
However AVS, if they do respond, simply refer you to their barking dog leaflets to somehow supposedly resolve the issue. If you truly love dogs, you would know that such barking is a sign of distress from the dog and you're also neglecting it's health...just as much as mine.
Having an issue with hoarder neighbors who stuff the common stairwell full of their own belongings, to the point where you can’t even walk through all their crap. Have complained to the management multiple times but to no avail. Poses not only a fire risk, but is also inconvenient for residents like myself who like to get exercise by climbing the stairs when it is not possible to exercise outdoors due to rain for example. As for the soundproofing, if you’ve tried the mats I can’t imagine what else can be done on your end, maybe the best thing is really just to move out and end your own misery. Although if I were you, I’d leave a not so nice message for my neighbor right before I leave, give them a real piece of my mind.

We own a dog, lucky for us he doesn’t really bark but incessant barking can be a sign of separation anxiety- in this case, the neighbor being away at work all day must leave the poor dog feeling pretty anxious and abandoned, and unfortunately you are the one who feels the effects, not them.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Dec 2021 11:48 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 28 Dec 2021 10:39 am
We live in a land of pimps and whores. Turn this into a monetary problem for your LL and it will resolve itself one way or the other.
LOL! Strongly worded, but yes, money does seem to get the ball rolling when nothing else can.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Dec 2021 11:49 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 28 Dec 2021 10:40 am
Lisafuller wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

Yes we have right now a particularly difficult neighbour (a young skinny PRC guy who is now too scared to go in the elevator with me or even be outside if I am out in the corridor - I swear I haven't touched him). The last person you want to irritate is a guy who just spent 29 days offshore working hard.
Why would he be hesitant to enter the lift with you? Have you had negative interactions with him in the past?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 Dec 2021 11:54 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 28 Dec 2021 11:49 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

Why would he be hesitant to enter the lift with you? Have you had negative interactions with him in the past?
I'm a stir crazy guy who spent 100 days offshore in the last 150 days working like a man in the sun while he's been playing with his computer and with his mummy washing his clothes. I walk out of the house carrying 20kg bags of tools while he can barely carry a laptop. I routinely fix things in the car park with large hammers and saws and power tools. He knows not to get too close. I have told him explicitly and very loudly to never to speak to me or my family again after he swore at us in Chinese. He literally ran behind his mother. If you want to win a fight be the less predictable one.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 29 Dec 2021 12:00 am

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 28 Dec 2021 11:54 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 28 Dec 2021 11:49 pm
PNGMK wrote:

I'm a stir crazy guy who spent 100 days offshore in the last 150 days working like a man in the sun while he's been playing with his computer and with his mummy washing his clothes. I walk out of the house carrying 20kg bags of tools while he can barely carry a laptop. I routinely fix things in the car park with large hammers and saws and power tools. He knows not to get too close. I have told him explicitly and very loudly to never to speak to me or my family again after he swore at us in Chinese. He literally ran behind his mother. If you want to win a fight be the less predictable one.
Why would he swear at you? So uncalled for. And what a coward for hiding behind his mom, is he one of those young spoiled brats? I hate to stereotype, but the experiences I've had with PRC residents have not been too positive either, to say the least. Pre-COVID they were constantly drinking by the pool, being rowdy and recklessly jumping off the pool ledge while inebriated. When confronted, they would just pretend they didn’t understand English and when confronted in chinese, they would cuss out the security guards. Really entitled, awful behavior, and they were kids too! International students from the St Francis International School, seemed to live in a group without any parents or other guardians. Not sure where they got the booze either, they were definitely underage.

Audsgd

Post by Audsgd » Sun, 30 Jan 2022 10:38 am

This really should be a condo management issue to resolve. I'm sure this violates some of the BI Laws which is enforceable through fines, and eviction.

However if the condo management is weak and will won't act which is apparently the case here, then I think moving out is a genuine option as mentioned by some of out previous posters. Plenty of great choices here is Singapore.

Why don't you negotiate with landlord for hardship costs (reduced rent). This will help you cover costs of move which you can explore in the background and get your full deposit back, get it all in writing. I'm sure the landlord doesn't want to get dragged into SCT or legal proceedings aswell.

Sent from my SM-N9860 using Tapatalk