Singapore Expats

Possible/How to Evict Noisy Neighbour?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Possible/How to Evict Noisy Neighbour?

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 30 Jan 2022 7:37 pm

Doubt the LL will reduce rent. Why should he care? Not like the noise is bothering him. You’d be lucky to meet such a compassionate LL, and if you don’t you’re on your own.

Search By

GeraldLim1

Post by GeraldLim1 » Mon, 31 Jan 2022 1:54 pm

Hi, very sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience.

What you can do is to call the police. You can speak to the management office to understand about the condominium’s by-laws and if any is flouted by your neighbours.

The last resort would be to file a Magistrate’s complaint. This costs money, and does not guarantee a win.

Important to keep all these in pictures/videos, should any require evidence.

unbelievable1981
Answers: 1

Post by unbelievable1981 » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 4:43 pm

hey all, thanks for all your inputs! Some good help here so would like to summarise what someone else could do if this happens to them, basically my lessons learnt in this Singapore land of rules that don't actually get enforced.
Today the noisy neighbour is gone, he moved out...due to his lease expiry. I couldn't get any traction on this issue on every single thing that people mentioned.

-First time a noise incident happens, call your condo Security. Be polite, explain the noise, your name, your unit number and the unit with the noise. If they can't hear it outside, they may not take action.
-Start an incident log, use OneNote or a Word doc. Simply place the date, time and brief description of the issue. You will need this info later if you go to court.
-Ensure you make an audio or video recording using your phone. Again add it to you incident log. Try your best to rename the file to for example [01-January-2022]-[23:30]-[Dog Barking non-stop]
-Ensure you send an email to condo Management next day explaining the issue.
-Engage in friendly chats with Security and Management if the issue persists, hopefully Management will send a letter or email to the neighbour.
-Talk to any other neighbour that may be impacted, get their WhatsApp. Call Security at the same time if issue occuring.
-If Security are cool and the issue persist more than 3-4 times, call Police Hotline 1800 255 0000. The police will not come but it is more good evidence to collect.
-If issue still occurs maybe after several times. lodge a Police Report online. It's a very simple process that will take you 5-10 minutes but you need to use SingPass to login. Do not expect a reply but again it is good evidence. And if you know anyone else in condo having same issue, ask them to lodge a Police Report.
My experience is that Police called me after the third report to say don't call us about barking dogs.
-Regarding Landlords, nothing they can do and they only care about their money. Luckily after talking lots I sent an formal letter to my LL requesting they talk to my neighbour's LL, which they did but that neighbour's LL did not reply.
-Second last possible step is to go to Community Mediation Centre. Simply fill up their simple form with addresses and brief issue description. They then sent an official "On Government Service" letter to me and the offending neighbour. They have two weeks to reply and of course the neighbour did not reply.
Definitely do this if the issue is nearing one month old, CMC will call you by next business day to confirm they'll take up your issue. However if neighbour doesn't reply, nothing they can do beyond sending another letter stating as such.
https://cmc.mlaw.gov.sg/
-Last possible step you can take is this. Now you've all your evidence, audio recordings, incident log, letters from Management, Police Reports....you can go through the Community Disputes Resolution Tribunals (CDRT). It's very simple to lodge online but remember this is the State Courts, your evidence needs to be labelled correctly and you should try find the full name of your neighbour. The cost is $150 for you as the Plaintiff to lodge and if any other neighbour want to be part of this, they need to lodge their own "Claim Form" onto "CJTS" portal.
What you then do is serve documents on your noisy neighbour, wait two weeks for them to respond and earliest court date is four weeks away. For me it didn't come to this, I was about to file with my other neighbours against this noisy neighbour during upcoming long weekend.
Anyway some info on this process:
About:
https://www.judiciary.gov.sg/civil/file ... pute-claim
Prepare:
https://www.judiciary.gov.sg/civil/prep ... pute-claim
How to file:
https://www.judiciary.gov.sg/civil/how- ... pute-claim
CJTS website to perform file:
https://cjts.judiciary.gov.sg/home

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 7:13 pm

Glad this ordeal is finally over for you. It’s been a long time. Also to any mods that may see this, why is OP’s post green?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 7:14 pm

GeraldLim1 wrote:
Mon, 31 Jan 2022 1:54 pm
Hi, very sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience.

What you can do is to call the police. You can speak to the management office to understand about the condominium’s by-laws and if any is flouted by your neighbours.

The last resort would be to file a Magistrate’s complaint. This costs money, and does not guarantee a win.

Important to keep all these in pictures/videos, should any require evidence.
Police typically will not intervene as they seem to consider such issues trivial and outside of their job scope.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 8:38 pm

The only way the police will get involved is if blood is drawn.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 8:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 28 Apr 2022 8:38 pm
The only way the police will get involved is if blood is drawn.
Yup. Speaking of blood, did you hear about the slashing case in Bugis? Crazy sh*t.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 8:47 pm

Severed the woman's hand. She's lucky, it was her husband because she was caught having an affair with guy in the restaurant next door. Was just down there a Friday night having a late bite.

Looking at all the sword/parang slashings recently and the axe episode in the school a year or so ago, I'm just damned glad we don't have the access to guns like the US does. However, I am an ardent 2nd Amendment supporter and used to have close to 2 dozen various and sundry firearms on the farm in the US.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 8:49 pm

The only reason she has her head is because the chopper blade was upside down and he was trying to cut with the back of the blade. (he was sawing on her neck the second time he attacked her).

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 9:00 pm

Thu, 28 Apr 2022 8:47 pm
Severed the woman's hand. She's lucky, it was her husband because she was caught having an affair with guy in the restaurant next door. Was just down there a Friday night having a late bite.

Looking at all the sword/parang slashings recently and the axe episode in the school a year or so ago, I'm just damned glad we don't have the access to guns like the US does. However, I am an ardent 2nd Amendment supporter and used to have close to 2 dozen various and sundry firearms on the farm in the US.
I’m all for firearms if they can be used responsibly. Unfortunately, though, they can’t as evidence by all the shootings and preventable deaths. Problem is, when you allow guns, irresponsible users buy them, then those who don’t want to buy them have to get them as well to protect themselves from the irresponsible.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 9:02 pm

Thu, 28 Apr 2022 8:49 pm
The only reason she has her head is because the chopper blade was upside down and he was trying to cut with the back of the blade. (he was sawing on her neck the second time he attacked her).
Not sure if this means you saw the video, then? Seeing it made me squirm, so much blood.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 9:29 pm

I think I saw all of them including some on Hardwarezone not found elsewhere. Some other accounts after the fact were also linked but text without photo from persons at the scene. (I had somebody who can translate Chinese which also helped.) I'm pretty immune to the sight of blood. Although never my own in large quantities. Only my victim.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 9:44 pm

I’m the opposite. Seeing my own blood never bothers me, but seeing other people’s always does.