Singapore Expats

Moving to Glasgow - do we need a mover?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
afriendlymilkman

Moving to Glasgow - do we need a mover?

Post by afriendlymilkman » Sun, 26 Dec 2021 5:02 pm

Hi!

Not sure if this the appropriate forum, so please excuse me if it isn't.

We are planning to move to Glasgow in the first quarter of next year, and since we will be renting out our current flat with furnishings included, we don't really have a lot to move. We will have about 5-6 boxes of items such as clothes, small appliances and urm, snacks - I don't suppose we'll need to send these via an international mover and we can do so via whatever airline we're flying there on, and we'll rent a van to transport everything from the airport to our new home. What do you think the ballpark estimated costs would be? Thank you!

Jgrif96229
Regular
Regular

Re: Moving to Glasgow - do we need a mover?

Post by Jgrif96229 » Sun, 26 Dec 2021 5:34 pm

The other route you can go is a shared container for on the water shipping. Any shipping company can quote you in this.
Joseph griffin

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Dec 2021 2:17 am

afriendlymilkman wrote:
Sun, 26 Dec 2021 5:02 pm
Hi!

Not sure if this the appropriate forum, so please excuse me if it isn't.

We are planning to move to Glasgow in the first quarter of next year, and since we will be renting out our current flat with furnishings included, we don't really have a lot to move. We will have about 5-6 boxes of items such as clothes, small appliances and urm, snacks - I don't suppose we'll need to send these via an international mover and we can do so via whatever airline we're flying there on, and we'll rent a van to transport everything from the airport to our new home. What do you think the ballpark estimated costs would be? Thank you!
If it’s only a few small boxes then you may not need to hire a mover at all, can just fit the items into suitcases and pay the additional baggage fee. If this is not possible, however, then you’ll have to engage an international mover. Price wise, you’ll need to get a quote from the specific mover, I would recommend shopping around before settling so you can get the best price.

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 8:14 pm

If you are happy to wait for around 8 weeks (international shipping has a bit of a backlog atm), you shouldn’t find it especially expensive to send via sea freight. I moved about 15 large boxes from London to Singapore and the cost was circa $1,000

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 2:06 am

That’s pretty great value, I would have expected it to cost a lot more. I guess what you reap in savings you lose in time.

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Wed, 02 Feb 2022 9:49 am

We sent 3 crates via air freight for more immediate things that we couldn’t ship/get into the aeroplane hold when we flew. Those 3 crates via air cost about $3K, so shipping is definitely the most cost effective way to do it if you can afford to wait.