Singapore Expats

SC approval likelihood and some general advices

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
coffeetea.or.me

SC approval likelihood and some general advices

Post by coffeetea.or.me » Wed, 08 Dec 2021 7:15 pm

Hello fellow people of expat forum!

I have been lurking around here for quite some time as a guest and I've decided to get myself some advise from the audience here. I have 2 questions generally but before that, here's how my background looks.

Race: Chinese
Citizenship: Malaysian
Marital status: Single
Highest education: Master's degree in IT from one of the reputable uni in UK
Employment sector: Global IT programs engineer in one of the MNC
Salary: $80k gross annually. (Not inclusive of bonus since it's a fluctuating value)
Family background:
- Father still works as a service advisor in enterprise HVAC company
- Mother retired as a legal clerk
- Younger brother graduated MBBS and currently situated in Australia

- Investor in both SG and US market. (Capital gains not calculated in salary since it's not a constant earning)
- Been a PR holder since May 2019.
- Submitted SC application back in May 2021 after fulfilling 2 years criteria.

That's basically what I have on the table, so here are my questions:

1. Just like any other topics around here is that, how likely am I getting an approval? Like... does the gov need a person/skillsets like mine?

2. Recently my partner and I had been talking about getting ROM somewhere around Oct-Nov 2022. She's mainland Chinese and a PR herself, have been in SG since the past 10 years. Since she is the only daughter of her parents, she did not consider applying for SGC for now as she expects to take care of her aging parents back at home in the future. So having her original citizenship gives her more flexibility to be with them longer, more often, and I respected that. Coming back to the original question, assuming that my SGC approval came (I'm being VERY optimistic per se) after we ROM, would this hinder either of us?
**TBH I am not very familiar with married applicants but I've heard stories where married couples saying when one of them approved, the partner was offered SGC invitations as well. And turning it down would leave a bad image that might impair future applications, or even REP renewals.**
Do note that my partner wasn't rejecting the idea of being part of SGC but rather she wants to fulfill her duty as the only daughter for her parent, by caring them and have the flexibility of being with them longer as they age.

Hopefully the community here may shed some light, as it will help us navigate our plans. Your input is much appreciated. :love:

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Re: SC approval likelihood and some general advices

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 08 Dec 2021 8:56 pm

Sharing an anecdote: My colleague and her husband are ex-PRC nationals, converted into SGC more than 10 years ago. Her husband is the only child too.

When my colleague’s daughter was born, her husband brought his mother (colleague’s MIL) to SG and applied LTVP for her to look after the grandchild. The MIL had LTVP for 10 straight years before going back home to China since grandkid is older and doesn’t need to be looked after any more. The MIL lives with her sister and nephew now in China.

To my knowledge the MIL could have converted to SGC too as an “aged parent of a Singaporean citizen”.

Many options for your girlfriend, I feel. She can convert to SGC, bring her parents in on LTVP… maybe convert them to SGC if they want to.

Does her parents have any siblings they can stay with back home if they don’t want to come to SG?

lot286
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lot286 » Wed, 08 Dec 2021 9:37 pm

On a stand-alone basis, married or not, you stand a good chance to get the SC.

coffeetea.or.me

Post by coffeetea.or.me » Thu, 09 Dec 2021 1:28 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Wed, 08 Dec 2021 8:56 pm
Sharing an anecdote: My colleague and her husband are ex-PRC nationals, converted into SGC more than 10 years ago. Her husband is the only child too.

When my colleague’s daughter was born, her husband brought his mother (colleague’s MIL) to SG and applied LTVP for her to look after the grandchild. The MIL had LTVP for 10 straight years before going back home to China since grandkid is older and doesn’t need to be looked after any more. The MIL lives with her sister and nephew now in China.

To my knowledge the MIL could have converted to SGC too as an “aged parent of a Singaporean citizen”.

Many options for your girlfriend, I feel. She can convert to SGC, bring her parents in on LTVP… maybe convert them to SGC if they want to.

Does her parents have any siblings they can stay with back home if they don’t want to come to SG?
Thanks MOCHS for the sharing! :love:

For the first part of the sharing, it is definitely some enlightening advise that we can look into. Really appreciate that!

As for the second part of the story, we did previously discussed with the parents side but unfortunately they are not interested to come over to SG. I understand, maybe it's rather hard for them accept the sudden change of environment and since they only speaks Chinese, it would be quite hard for them to fully integrate into the community.

All in all, it is a good suggestion and it's something my partner and I can further look into. Cheers mate! =D>

MixedMomma

Post by MixedMomma » Fri, 14 Jan 2022 8:46 pm

Hi, may i chk have u gotten any update on ur SC application?

As I am also submitted the same timing as you, but no update yet.
Thanks for sharing.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 Jan 2022 11:54 am

coffeetea.or.me wrote:
Thu, 09 Dec 2021 1:28 pm
MOCHS wrote:
Wed, 08 Dec 2021 8:56 pm

Thanks MOCHS for the sharing! :love:

For the first part of the sharing, it is definitely some enlightening advise that we can look into. Really appreciate that!

As for the second part of the story, we did previously discussed with the parents side but unfortunately they are not interested to come over to SG. I understand, maybe it's rather hard for them accept the sudden change of environment and since they only speaks Chinese, it would be quite hard for them to fully integrate into the community.

All in all, it is a good suggestion and it's something my partner and I can further look into. Cheers mate! =D>
My suggestion is apply for your SGC now while you are still single. That way you are a shoe-in, frankly speaking, but it might put your ROM off up to 12 months, but there will not be any if/ands or buts about your wife not being on the application as noted in the posts above. Everything MOCHS has said is good intel. In fact, I may start looking into SGC under the aged parent scheme as I now have two grown married children here, both SGCs. This will make it easier for your intended to return to China when the time comes if you marry after you obtain SGC and with her as a PR it will not be a problem for her to become a SGC once family issues in the PRC have resolved themselves.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 Jan 2022 12:05 pm

In addition to the above, one thing did occur to me. The timing and durations of your future wife's return to the PRC will have to be monitored carefully so as not to lose her PR. While it shouldn't make any difference, it has been known to be rather difficult to regain PR (If she does return to the PRC but with the purpose of returning to Singapore later, make sure she doesn't touch her CPF account because if she loses her PR she could theoretically withdraw all her CPF BUT, and it is a BIG but, she would have to return ALL the CPF & Interest and also all the interest that would have accrued had it all been left intact. Only then would they even entertain giving her PR again.

Again, if she doesn't have to remain back in the PRC for an extended period non-stop for several years, then regular trips back several times a year could preclude that problem. It's not an insurmountable problem though. In fact, it's possible that speaking to ICA at some point could provide special considerations. They are often flexible and willing to work with those who want to stay and they do understand the problem of aged parents not wanting to uproot after an entire lifetime.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

coffeetea.or.me

Post by coffeetea.or.me » Tue, 18 Jan 2022 9:57 pm

MixedMomma wrote:
Fri, 14 Jan 2022 8:46 pm
Hi, may i chk have u gotten any update on ur SC application?

As I am also submitted the same timing as you, but no update yet.
Thanks for sharing.
Hi MixedMomma,

Nope, I've not gotten any updates yet. But I do noticed at the ICA website the processing duration changed from the usual "6-12 months" to now only state "up to 12 months" with regards to "some cases may take longer".

Cheers and may luck be in your favor. :)

coffeetea.or.me

Post by coffeetea.or.me » Tue, 18 Jan 2022 10:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 15 Jan 2022 12:05 pm
In addition to the above, one thing did occur to me. The timing and durations of your future wife's return to the PRC will have to be monitored carefully so as not to lose her PR. While it shouldn't make any difference, it has been known to be rather difficult to regain PR (If she does return to the PRC but with the purpose of returning to Singapore later, make sure she doesn't touch her CPF account because if she loses her PR she could theoretically withdraw all her CPF BUT, and it is a BIG but, she would have to return ALL the CPF & Interest and also all the interest that would have accrued had it all been left intact. Only then would they even entertain giving her PR again.

Again, if she doesn't have to remain back in the PRC for an extended period non-stop for several years, then regular trips back several times a year could preclude that problem. It's not an insurmountable problem though. In fact, it's possible that speaking to ICA at some point could provide special considerations. They are often flexible and willing to work with those who want to stay and they do understand the problem of aged parents not wanting to uproot after an entire lifetime.
Hi SMS,

Oh wow, this piece of info is definitely something that is valuable to us. It had not came to our awareness there are such "caveat" in the process. Words cannot describe how much it means to our knowledge but definitely this is going to change how we see and plan for the future.

I took note on one of your statement where you start looking into SGC under the aged parent scheme. I wish you all the best and may luck be with you too! :D

Cheers, and stay safe!

Axeman11

Post by Axeman11 » Thu, 21 Apr 2022 11:17 am

Hi Coffee Tea, have you gotten your approval? I applied in late Mar-2021, and am still waiting anxiously. It seems to be a long time.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 21 Apr 2022 2:10 pm

^ Spamming the same question in multiple threads is not going to speed up your application in any shape or form.

SMS already said the processing timing varies from person to person. He already said 12 to 24 months. Just because one application gets processed faster/slower does not mean yours will be processed at the same speed too. We have seen someone wait at least 26 months for a result.

You just play the waiting game and in the mean time, do something else to distract yourself. The result will be out when it is ready. Rushing ICA will do more harm.

coffeetea.or.me

Post by coffeetea.or.me » Fri, 26 Aug 2022 9:29 pm

Thought of coming back to my thread and provide some updates about my application status.

It has been reaching 16 months into my SC application and I have yet to receive neither any updates nor approval news (Fingers crossed). I have been constantly keeping ICA up to date with my career progresses, compensation changes necessary biodata updates and etc. The most recent update I've shared with ICA is my intent of getting solemnized in a future date, by uploading a copy of the solemnization application receipt to my application. (I doubt this carries any weight but why the heck not? I shouldn't mind to be very clear with my intends and I have nothing to hide from them.)

Anyway, back to the main story. I have tried to slide in "innocent question" (aka baits) in my update emails to see if ICA will shed some light on my application progress but (as expected) they are in deed a bunch of smart people over at ICA. I get standard replies like "that your application is under consideration and will notify you on the outcome by email when it is known.".

I hope this update helps anyone who is in the same situation as I am, all the best to all of you on the same journey, cheers and stay safe!

coffeetea.or.me

Post by coffeetea.or.me » Fri, 11 Nov 2022 12:00 pm

Tis I, again. This time, I am coming back with (perhaps a shed of good sign?) on my application status.

My itchy behind told me I should login and check on my application status, since it has been quite a while I last look. Lo and behold I saw that very magical "Approved" word on the application summary page!

I should be jumping for joy by now. However as I clicked in to look at the details, I was instead shown "PENDING"

Not sure if I am being trolled by the system or there's a reason behind this but in summary, I am bamboozled. So let's see I guess... :???:

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 11 Nov 2022 12:42 pm

Look at the date of approval, it’s yesterday. Just wait for the hardcopy letter in the mail.

From my experience with ICA portal for my husband’s PR, some parts get updated first, others get updated later.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 11 Nov 2022 12:50 pm

It takes some time to update all the different status pages.... Or something like that. Congrats I guess?