Singapore Expats

Length of Social Visit Pass for US Passport Holder

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
antonin

Length of Social Visit Pass for US Passport Holder

Post by antonin » Tue, 07 Dec 2021 10:35 am

Seeking information on recent experience by US Passport holders entering Singapore. What is the number of days granted on the Social Visit Pass for US citizens? Is it 30 days or is it 90 days? Also, if you leave Singapore to holiday elsewhere and come back to SG, are you granted a new Social Visit Pass for an additional 90 days? Many thanks for your response.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Length of Social Visit Pass for US Passport Holder

Post by malcontent » Tue, 07 Dec 2021 2:01 pm

I have never, in all of my 2.5 decades of international travel, gotten less than the maximum days that a US passport is entitled to, no matter what my intended length of stay, no matter Singapore or any other country.

A few of my stamps from Asia Pac —

Singapore 90 days
Malaysia 90 days (too many)
Indonesia 30 days (many)
Thailand 30 days (many)
Philippines 30 days (many)
Taiwan 90 days
Hong Kong 90 days (several)
Macau 30 days
South Korea 90 days (multiple)
Japan 90 days (several)
Australia 90 days (many)
New Zealand 90 days (several)

Is there anything special about you that would give them pause? Are you a recently naturalized US citizen from somewhere that normally requires a visa to enter Singapore? They do have the right to reduce your days if they feel justified in doing so.

As for moving in and out of Singapore, as long as it doesn’t appear that you are trying to do a visa run, it will be fine. They can deny you entry if they suspect you are, but if you are legitimately touring around, no issue. Just keep in mind that VTL is dynamic and can change.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

antonin

Post by antonin » Wed, 08 Dec 2021 4:36 am

There is nothing out of the ordinary about my US citizenship status. However, reports of the number of days a typical US visitor gets upon arrival to Singapore was a little fuzzy so wanted some recent experience. So thank you for your response. One point of clarification: so as long as you are not seen as making a visa run (which I am definitely not), every time you re-enter Singapore, they typically restart the 90 days?

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 08 Dec 2021 10:39 am

antonin wrote:
Wed, 08 Dec 2021 4:36 am
There is nothing out of the ordinary about my US citizenship status. However, reports of the number of days a typical US visitor gets upon arrival to Singapore was a little fuzzy so wanted some recent experience. So thank you for your response. One point of clarification: so as long as you are not seen as making a visa run (which I am definitely not), every time you re-enter Singapore, they typically restart the 90 days?
Correct. It doesn’t matter how many times you come and go, they always give the max. There was one year I made dozens of trips to Malaysia and got 90 days every time without fail. Like I said, I have never gotten less than the max stamped on my passport, and I must have well over a hundred stamps across 3 x 10 year passports over the last quarter century.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr