Singapore Expats

Keep EP or Apply for PMLA+LTVP?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
bouncycastle

Keep EP or Apply for PMLA+LTVP?

Post by bouncycastle » Sun, 05 Dec 2021 9:20 pm

Hi all,

I am a Male EP holder. My fiancée (Singaporean) and I are planning to get married in early 2022. We are both in our mid-20s. Just wondering should we apply for my PMLA and subsequently, an LTVP? Or, should I continue staying on my employment pass? We want to have children while we're still young, and continue living in Singapore for the foreseeable future.

After doing some research, the PMLA and LTVP route seems the safest for now. Would an LTVP have any adverse effect, as my income range is 150K+? But I am not sure if I am overlooking something. Any advice, affirmation, or negation would be appreciated.

Edit: Also I am a bit concerned because her income is lower than mine. Would that have any negative bearing on an LTVP outcome?

Thank you in advance!

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Re: Keep EP or Apply for PMLA+LTVP?

Post by MOCHS » Sun, 05 Dec 2021 9:42 pm

Stay on the EP so you keep any relocation compensation (if any) until they decide to cancel your EP, then switch to LTVP.
Last edited by MOCHS on Mon, 06 Dec 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Dec 2021 1:26 am

I concur with MOCHS. Frankly, stay on your EP until such time as it is prudent to apply for PR (2 years after your marriage). Only give up the EP if/when the PR is approved.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bouncycastle

Post by bouncycastle » Mon, 06 Dec 2021 10:44 am

Really really appreciate your time and suggestions @MOCHS and @sundaymorningstaple, thank you both.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 09 Dec 2021 1:15 am

I married a SPR over 18 years ago and I’m still on EP. I might consider LTVP in retirement if we are still living here, but in the mean time, I will remain on EP.

My situation is a little unique though. First, I will probably never change employers… I’ve worked at the same company for 25 years. Second, I’m not missing out on CPF because my employer has a substitute program.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

bouncycastle

Post by bouncycastle » Fri, 10 Dec 2021 9:46 am

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 09 Dec 2021 1:15 am
I will probably never change employers… I’ve worked at the same company for 25 years. Second, I’m not missing out on CPF because my employer has a substitute program.
That's incredible! 25 years is quite a long tenure indeed. And your situation is indeed exceptional.

I was considering the LTVP route because last year, I got laid off after 3 years of employment. With COVID and the job market, I went through one of the most stressful times in my life. Also couldn't get STVP renewed, the request got rejected. That had quite a toll on our relationship with all that uncertainty. Thankfully, I could land a job and get a renewed EP 3 days before my STVP expired.

I am still recovering from that trauma, considering layoffs are a rather rare occurrence. Thank you all!

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Fri, 10 Dec 2021 12:32 pm

bouncycastle wrote:
Fri, 10 Dec 2021 9:46 am
malcontent wrote:
Thu, 09 Dec 2021 1:15 am
I will probably never change employers… I’ve worked at the same company for 25 years. Second, I’m not missing out on CPF because my employer has a substitute program.
That's incredible! 25 years is quite a long tenure indeed. And your situation is indeed exceptional.

I was considering the LTVP route because last year, I got laid off after 3 years of employment. With COVID and the job market, I went through one of the most stressful times in my life. Also couldn't get STVP renewed, the request got rejected. That had quite a toll on our relationship with all that uncertainty. Thankfully, I could land a job and get a renewed EP 3 days before my STVP expired.

I am still recovering from that trauma, considering layoffs are a rather rare occurrence. Thank you all!
I went through a similar situation when I first arrived on these shores. My GF (now wife) and I moved from the US to Singapore shortly after graduation from university. She grew up here and already had PR through family ties, so I started out on a SVP (back then only 30 days were given). She sponsored extensions for an additional 3 x 1 month. They were only supposed to give 2 additional months, but we just tried it and got lucky. Once I landed a job, it took 2 more months to get a rejection. The appeal took another 2 months and was also rejected. The final appeal was high stress because I would have to leave the country for sure. I had already sold all of my earthly possessions back in the US and my return ticket had long expired. I was living on borrowed money and borrowed time! Fortunately, my company intervened and got a one year EP approved for me after another month of waiting. In total, 9 months of joblessness. I honestly don’t know what I would have done had they rejected my final appeal. There was no plan B when we decided to move here!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr