Singapore Expats

How to pick movers ?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Nisha2020

How to pick movers ?

Post by Nisha2020 » Sat, 04 Dec 2021 5:29 pm

Hi all !
I am new to Singapore and been here for about a year now and the landlord decided to move in so I am relocating..
Saw many movers advertise but not sure how to pick as I don't want to be scammed. I will be able to dismantle my furnitures however for packing I would need help..
Also planning to buy a second hand furniture as I am upsizing, but the pickup cost is more than the cost of the furniture .. :o does anyone know reasonably priced mover for moving just a single item like a dining table or a bed frame ?
Please if anyone has had any experience that I should be aware of or any good movers contact please let me know..
Thank u !
by abbby » Sun, 05 Dec 2021 4:19 pm
For single items, should be easy any local mover can do it or even lalamove. Just take note if your moving sofas and more expensive items do look out for the more reputable companies, i had my sofa and bed frames moved and they didn't wrap with cardbox then cling wrap, but only used cling wraps, my leather bed frames peeled because of their cling wraps...they should have protected with cardboard first...sigh.
Go to full post

Search By

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: How to pick movers ?

Post by abbby » Sun, 05 Dec 2021 4:19 pm

For single items, should be easy any local mover can do it or even lalamove. Just take note if your moving sofas and more expensive items do look out for the more reputable companies, i had my sofa and bed frames moved and they didn't wrap with cardbox then cling wrap, but only used cling wraps, my leather bed frames peeled because of their cling wraps...they should have protected with cardboard first...sigh.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 05 Dec 2021 8:13 pm

abbby, were your 'leather' bedframes PU leather or real leather??? I wouldn't think cling wraps would peel real leather from itself. But yeah, it will peel PU leather off it's material backing.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Nisha2020

Post by Nisha2020 » Tue, 07 Dec 2021 12:46 pm

Hi abbby, thank u for the reply :) will look into lalamove.. also will stay careful about the wrapping!

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Tue, 07 Dec 2021 6:44 pm

Lalamove isn’t really known for house moving, it’s more for small items (like deliveries for food or packages) to one or two big items.

Most house movers here will ask you how many boxes you intend to move. From there, they will then provide a quote based on the size of the truck they will use on that day.

Some movers give you free cartons that are secondhand but like new along with a few rolls of packing tape.

Other movers give you brand new cartons and you have to pay a deposit, then when you return the cartons, your deposit is refunded.

And some movers do a site visit to your place, estimate how many boxes you need and see how many bulky furniture you intend to move, then provide a quote in what size of lorry they will provide.

I personally used Mover 168 which was recommended by my friend who used the company too. The guy did a site visit and I told him which furniture and stuff I’ll be moving, he estimated I needed X number of boxes and his men sent me boxes a few days later. On the moving day, the men were on time, knew how to disassemble my bed and re-assemble it at my new place. Everything was good, my fridge, washing machine, dryer were moved as well and they are still in great condition.

Other common movers would be Shalom, The Trio Movers, etc.

Nisha2020

Post by Nisha2020 » Wed, 08 Dec 2021 3:18 pm

Hi MOCHS ! :) Thank you for explaining in detail.. I will definitely checkout mover 168 if they are helping with reassembling too..

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Dec 2021 3:03 am

Lalamove/Grabexpress/Qexpress are not really known for moving, mostly transport one or two loose (and relatively small) items. Benefits are cost, convenience and speed of delivery.

Therese White

Post by Therese White » Tue, 10 May 2022 8:28 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 27 Dec 2021 3:03 am
Lalamove/Grabexpress/Qexpress are not really known for moving, mostly transport one or two loose (and relatively small) items. Benefits are cost, convenience and speed of delivery.
I guess you have some fruitful insights. Do you know some international movers? we have to move JVS Dubai and move all our b O:) elongings