Singapore Expats Forum

Taxis

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Taxis

Postby Guest » Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:31 pm

Just wondering if this is the norm...Tonight at about 1730 my daughter & I were next in line at Plaza Singapura for the taxi. We put the groceries in the trunk/boot and hopped in the backseat. I told the driver "Upper East Coast Road" and I saw this strange look in the mirror. "Too Far" to which I replied "20 minutes top" He repeated himself several times "Too far". I asked jokingly, "What do you want me to do, get out?" I know, stupid remark coming from me, but I'm sure you can guess the reply..."CAN!"
So we did, slammed the doors and warned the people next in line (also expats) that they better live close. The next taxi had no problem and got a rather nice tip for his effort. I'm kicking myself for not taking his number down or name or something. Anyone else had a similar problem or am I the only one?

Taxis

Postby Guest » Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:20 pm

Dortake down the TAXI company name, license plate number and the time and date of the incident, and report it to the TAXI company.

The driver will be questioned by the company. In actual fact, they are not supposed to pick and choose their customers.

I once complained about the rudeness of a taxi driver, and the company came back to me quite quickly and asked if I wanted a public apology for what he has done. :wink:

Taxi driversin Singapore are a bane, it's either they're very reckless on the roads, otherwise, they are very rude or picky with customers.

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Fri, 01 Apr 2005 1:03 pm

You see this every day at a lot of taxi ranks, especially if it is the taxi driver's last trip for the day and he want to drop someone off near where they live.

I'm in two minds about this but the drivers are effectively self-employed and they are not public servants so it's up to them whether they want to drive you or not the same as any other business. If they were on a salary with the cab firm maybe then that's different. I say just get in the next cab.

shift change?

Postby shift change? » Fri, 01 Apr 2005 2:14 pm

Did you happen to notice whether or not he had his shift change light on (or sign in the window)? When a driver is at the end of his shift he puts the shift change light on with the area/destination he needs to get to -- perhaps he needed to get out towards Jurong or somewhere west at the time. It's not that uncommon.