Singapore Expats

Changing job during EP application advise

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
intoview5

Changing job during EP application advise

Post by intoview5 » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 6:49 pm

Hi all,

I am in the midst of EP application with company A now. Today, i received an interview opportunity from company B and if successful, I would love to join Company B.

If i am able to join company B - can i ask company A to notify MOM to stop the EP application halfway so company B can apply for me; or is that a big red flag for whatever reason? Any advise on this will be great.

Thank you.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Changing job during EP application advise

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 6:55 pm

It's the best way asap. Just have company A withdraw the application. No red flag. Better now than waiting till company A has the IPA in hand.

Applying now is okay, BUT, then it is a gamble which application get the IPA first. if it's Coy B, no issue, but if it company A it might take awhile to get it undone and then you run the risk of losing the offer from Coy B AND Coy A will know your mettle. MOM doesn't care. It's only your own reputation that could take a beating in a small place like Singapore and if you have a niche profession/occupation.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 7:19 pm

Yep. Loss of reputation is what I'd be most worried about. The HR and the hiring manager could well turn up at a future work place and they'll remember you as that mercenary.

intoview5

Post by intoview5 » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 9:04 pm

Thank you for the response. Company A applied EP for me since last friday (26/11). The EP application form says it takes maximum 8 weeks to get a response but Company A told me normally they'll have response in 4 weeks. So if i would like to join Company B, i will need them to confirm my employment with them within 3 weeks so i have sufficient time to halt Company A EP application before IPA is provided? That sounds like a plan. Thank you for your advice :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Nov 2021 1:02 am

Just remember, time are just an estimate and estimates fluctuate wildly. I know. I spent the last 25 years in HR and the last 15 as the HRM of a Mid-sized SME (225 staff). I've seen it all over the years. And yes, HRMs tend to talk among themselves, especially at see and be seen HR gatherings. And most HRMs know the other HRMs in the same industries. (for a good reason). So don't put of to tomorrow what can be accomplished today, if you know what I mean.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers