Singapore Expats

'Re-instate' PR probability

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
intoview5

'Re-instate' PR probability

Post by intoview5 » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 8:15 pm

Hi all,

I am a PR since 2001 (started as a dependent of my parents who are malaysians at the time). In 2010, I further my studies abroad and stayed there to work to gain Chartership status. In order to do so, I am not able to renew my re-entry permit in 2016. In 2019, I obtained my Chartership status but sod law Covid happened. Now that SG border is relaxed now, I am making plans to come back. I have a job offer from a company in SG who is applying EP for me now. My plan is to apply PR when i return SG. The ICA website did not state minimum qualifying period to apply PR as an EP pass holder. Question is, how long do you think i should be EP pass holder before applying PR; and what are the chances it will be approved? I had my secondary and diploma education in Singapore. My parents are now Singaporean. All of my siblings are either Singaporean or Malaysian PR who resides in Singapore. I felt like i have a high probability as i have strong ties in Singapore but it will be good to hear from others. Thank you.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: 'Re-instate' PR probability

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 10:06 pm

I'd venture a guess if you start work, give it 6 months and then apply duly noting your reason for losing your PR in the first place, this will 'possibly' work, what with the family ties here, but the codicil would be provided that the job was contingent on having your charter. It still may work without but if you want to go hunting bear, you don't try to bag it with a 22 Cal. bullet. ;-) Good Luck. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 10:24 pm

the 1st question will.
Did you do your NS?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 11:02 pm

Good catch, therat! I totally missed it! But he might have done it before going for further studies. A lot would depend on whether he had a 5 or 10 year REP back then. Let's see what he says.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 4:32 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 27 Nov 2021 10:06 pm
I'd venture a guess if you start work, give it 6 months and then apply duly noting your reason for losing your PR in the first place, this will 'possibly' work, what with the family ties here, but the codicil would be provided that the job was contingent on having your charter. It still may work without but if you want to go hunting bear, you don't try to bag it with a 22 Cal. bullet. ;-) Good Luck. :cool:
Is it common for applicants to have their PR reinstated? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone being successful.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 10:55 pm

It has, but the codicil from the government is that if you want to have your PR re-instated, (if they're willing consider it) Then any and all CPF monies that may have been withdrawn (along with all the interest AND any interest that would have accrued during said period on Non-PR is returned to the CPF board to your CPF account, it will be the only way they will consider re-granting it. I didn't mention it because it appears that OP has been schooling most of the time so it was rather doubtful that it would have been withdrawn. This especially so, considering it wasn't a conscious decision to give up PR but a conscious decision to gain the educational charter. Therefore, his reason for giving it up was, in theory, for the betterment of his academia and qualification on his return to Singapore. I think he's got a decent chance. And yes, it is a thing.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 10:56 pm

However, my oversight on the NS issue could very well be a stumbling block, but he may well have performed his NS before going for his degree. We haven't heard back from him yet.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 3:39 am

I see, never heard of such a case before, I guess then like any other immigration application, the process is discretionary.

intoview5

Post by intoview5 » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 6:06 am

I’m a woman. No NS. I didn’t withdraw my cpf. I’m tempted to apply PR in my first month in Singapore when I have my EP. Do you think it’s a defo no and I should wait at least 6 months?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 11:53 am

You can try. But be prepared for an initial rejection. If so, then wait the customary 2 years from the rejection. This is not engraved in stone, but by many years of anecdotal evidence. Obviously there are outliers in there but they are few and far between.

You gave your PR up once. The government is going to want to see if you are going to stick around for the long haul and seriously want the PR back, or are going to disappear again to get your Masters or PhD or leave again if a better opportunity crops up somewhere else. You need to show your staying power.

intoview5

Post by intoview5 » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 6:43 pm

Oh my. Is that the norm - 2 years from initial rejection? sounds harsh. How did you know this?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 6:52 pm

Check my join date on this forum......
intoview5 wrote:
Mon, 29 Nov 2021 6:43 pm
Oh my. Is that the norm - 2 years from initial rejection? sounds harsh. How did you know this?
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 29 Nov 2021 11:53 am
You can try. But be prepared for an initial rejection. If so, then wait the customary 2 years from the rejection. This is not engraved in stone, but by many years of anecdotal evidence. Obviously there are outliers in there but they are few and far between.

You gave your PR up once. The government is going to want to see if you are going to stick around for the long haul and seriously want the PR back, or are going to disappear again to get your Masters or PhD or leave again if a better opportunity crops up somewhere else. You need to show your staying power.

intoview5

Post by intoview5 » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 9:06 pm

all right then. thank you for your advice!