Singapore Expats

Foreign Spouse first extension STVP or LTVP?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Foreign Spouse first extension STVP or LTVP?

Post by JWNYsg » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 9:16 pm

Dear all,

I am a returning Singapore Citizen with my foreign spouse. We have been legally married for more than 3 years.

I am relocating back home permanently. I had received an ICA FTL approval via STO for my spouse to join me.

Once we arrive in Singapore, I presume she would be given a normal STVP. We are arriving from a Category 3 country which means a 10 day SHN is required.

Upon arrival, can I apply directly for an LTVP or should I extend the STVP first?

We had a PME approval in 2018 but it was not exercised as my job hunt in Singapore did not materialize, thus we got married overseas. I have officially registered this marriage via MSFD.

My wife is a homemaker with no formal education. As a sponsor my salary per annum is about SGD12k per month

Appreciate any guidance on which extension I should apply at first try. Thank you very much for your kind assistance

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Re: Foreign Spouse first extension STVP or LTVP?

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 10:03 pm

Both can actually be done at the same time… You can apply LTVP rightaway during your first day of SHN.

If LTVP still not approved close to the STVP expiration date, then apply for STVP extension. Follow ICA’s guidelines on how many days before expiration you should apply for extension.

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Post by JWNYsg » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 10:12 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Fri, 26 Nov 2021 10:03 pm
Both can actually be done at the same time… You can apply LTVP rightaway during your first day of SHN.

If LTVP still not approved close to the STVP expiration date, then apply for STVP extension. Follow ICA’s guidelines on how many days before expiration you should apply for extension.
Thank you very much MOCHS. It’s just that during SHN I won’t have the medical check up document required I think

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 11:30 am

Medical check up happens in the final steps of LTVP application, after you get in-principle approval, don’t worry about it for now.

Just concentrate on applying for LTVP the moment you are on SHN. The first step they will be mostly be looking at payslips, employment letter, marriage certificate.

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Post by JWNYsg » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 5:55 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Sat, 27 Nov 2021 11:30 am
Medical check up happens in the final steps of LTVP application, after you get in-principle approval, don’t worry about it for now.

Just concentrate on applying for LTVP the moment you are on SHN. The first step they will be mostly be looking at payslips, employment letter, marriage certificate.
Hey MOCHS

Thanks a million again

I’m taking your advice. LTVP once I clear Immigration.

If no good news in 10 days. Apply extension of STVP

Can’t bring my cat for time being though. Settle my wife first! :D

Thanks again

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 6:03 pm

I also relocated a cat too, you can PM me if you need advice when the time comes.

LTVP approval timings seem to vary. First time I applied for my husband was approved in 2 weeks, first renewal took 1 month, second renewal took 1 week.

Other people’s approval timings range from anywhere between 1 week to 3 months and above (can go up to 6 months).

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Post by JWNYsg » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 11:07 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Sat, 27 Nov 2021 6:03 pm
I also relocated a cat too, you can PM me if you need advice when the time comes.

LTVP approval timings seem to vary. First time I applied for my husband was approved in 2 weeks, first renewal took 1 month, second renewal took 1 week.

Other people’s approval timings range from anywhere between 1 week to 3 months and above (can go up to 6 months).
:D

Indeed you already gave me advice on that topic previously. But I think that will be a challenge as my Persian is almost 10 years old. I will assess the feasibility still. Thank you

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 8:42 am

As long as the vet says the pet is healthy enough to fly and the pet has no other health conditions, the older age does not matter.

My husband’s 8 year old cat made the 48h journey from US to SG. The distance between Thailand and SG is shorter and the journey will definitely be completed in less than a day.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 3:37 pm

The vet can also inject your pet with a little something to take the edge off, if you think it will get too stressed during the flight - as that can be life threatening.

Depends on the animal; we did inject our hyper nervous dog we brought over from the US last time… would definitely have been flipping out on the entire flight without it.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 5:40 pm

Hmm, they generally do not recommend any sedatives for pets when they fly because their vitals have to be closely monitored by the vet and no humans are allowed in the cargo hold. Even pet relocation companies do not recommend sedatives either. The cargo hold is temperature controlled though so they will be comfortable, it’s just gonna be noisy when the plane flies.

Do not forget that upon arrival, they have to be checked by the AVS vet and if something is off with the pet when it is usually otherwise normal, you’re jinxing its relocation.

Look up KittenLady on YouTube, she has great videos on how to prep a cat (or any animal for that matter) for a big move. My in-laws acclimated my husband’s cat by putting its food, toys, and blanket in the kennel a few months it was due to fly so that it associated the kennel with a positive experience. I was told by my in-laws and the relocation staff that cat was well behaved on moving day.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 3:44 am

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 28 Nov 2021 3:37 pm
The vet can also inject your pet with a little something to take the edge off, if you think it will get too stressed during the flight - as that can be life threatening.

Depends on the animal; we did inject our hyper nervous dog we brought over from the US last time… would definitely have been flipping out on the entire flight without it.
Sedatives are a no-no. Never know what can happen during the flight.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 3:47 am

MOCHS wrote:
Sun, 28 Nov 2021 5:40 pm
Hmm, they generally do not recommend any sedatives for pets when they fly because their vitals have to be closely monitored by the vet and no humans are allowed in the cargo hold. Even pet relocation companies do not recommend sedatives either. The cargo hold is temperature controlled though so they will be comfortable, it’s just gonna be noisy when the plane flies.

Do not forget that upon arrival, they have to be checked by the AVS vet and if something is off with the pet when it is usually otherwise normal, you’re jinxing its relocation.

Look up KittenLady on YouTube, she has great videos on how to prep a cat (or any animal for that matter) for a big move. My in-laws acclimated my husband’s cat by putting its food, toys, and blanket in the kennel a few months it was due to fly so that it associated the kennel with a positive experience. I was told by my in-laws and the relocation staff that cat was well behaved on moving day.
Exactly. Sedatives tend to do more harm than good, messing with the cats vitals artificially. Once in the sky, there is no way to check on its condition until touchdown, hence they are strongly discouraged.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 30 Nov 2021 5:30 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 29 Nov 2021 3:44 am
malcontent wrote:
Sun, 28 Nov 2021 3:37 pm

Sedatives are a no-no. Never know what can happen during the flight.
We must have had a bad vet advising us. Highly possible!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Post by JWNYsg » Sat, 04 Dec 2021 10:05 am

Hi guys,

Just to share progress.

Applied LTVP and STVP extension simultaneously

LTVP has more document submission and you pay after all the documents are uploaded.

STVP extension is quite straightforward

Hoping for the best.

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Post by JWNYsg » Sat, 04 Dec 2021 1:32 pm

I’m genuinely in a daze now.

I applied for the LTVP and the application is being looked at. In the same email, there was an important notice that a valid visa pass is needed and there was a link for a visit pass extension online. So I did that too.

This morning ICA sent me an email that the STVP application is rejected. (Looks computer generated)

Can I apply again or did I do something wrong. Her current STVP visa runs until New Year date exactly

Appreciate any advice. Thank you