Singapore Expats

SPASS Race Key In Wrongly By HR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
korosensei
Regular
Regular

SPASS Race Key In Wrongly By HR

Post by korosensei » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 3:56 pm

Hi, just want to ask for opinion, recently i just found out that the race put on by HR is wrong. they put malay instead of others. my spass has been approved. should I update in mom to correct it? will it have an impact on my current pass. thank you.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: SPASS Race Key In Wrongly By HR

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 5:13 pm

It should be corrected as soon as possible, however, it shouldn't have any impact on your pass itself, however, if they find it, it may. So do it soonest.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

korosensei
Regular
Regular

Post by korosensei » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 9:28 pm

noted. i did update it already hopefully wouldnt have any impact on my pass. thank you

sinkiepeasant

Post by sinkiepeasant » Tue, 04 Jan 2022 11:24 am

on a similar note (perhaps doesnt apply to OP), ethnic groups in the malay archipelago such as javanese, bugis, acehnese are categorized as malay for official record purposes. Knew a local malay (born and bred) who failed to have her race changed to Batak (according to her, idw some parliamentary committee to POFMA or haul my ass for lying).

Another case i knew was someone from kadazan (native group in sarawak) on work passes. again, was classified as malay on record. forgot what was the outcome of this, was some time back, but i think the HR can't be bothered.

korosensei
Regular
Regular

Post by korosensei » Tue, 04 Jan 2022 11:38 am

it has been updated already and they didnt bothered.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 04 Jan 2022 11:51 pm

Racial classifications can be unexpectedly sensitive and confusing here. Certain groups believe it is inappropriate to classify those who are ethnically identical to them into the same racial category, but less so with others. The minorities seem most particular about it.

I struggled with whether to put my children as Eurasian, despite them being half-Chinese and half-Caucasian. To me, it’s exactly the correct race by Singapore’s own definition - but historically, Eurasians here have their own sub-culture which my kids are not a part of.

Yet, for an ethnic Chinese from China who has little cultural affinity to straits born Chinese here, there is zero question, zero controversy… they are Chinese through and through.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

korosensei
Regular
Regular

Post by korosensei » Wed, 05 Jan 2022 7:58 am

well said. out of topic. seems like the forum is not so active as before.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 05 Jan 2022 9:30 am

korosensei wrote:
Wed, 05 Jan 2022 7:58 am
well said. out of topic. seems like the forum is not so active as before.
It takes a village. The forum lives or dies by those who post.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 06 Jan 2022 12:18 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 04 Jan 2022 11:51 pm
Racial classifications can be unexpectedly sensitive and confusing here. Certain groups believe it is inappropriate to classify those who are ethnically identical to them into the same racial category, but less so with others. The minorities seem most particular about it.

I struggled with whether to put my children as Eurasian, despite them being half-Chinese and half-Caucasian. To me, it’s exactly the correct race by Singapore’s own definition - but historically, Eurasians here have their own sub-culture which my kids are not a part of.

Yet, for an ethnic Chinese from China who has little cultural affinity to straits born Chinese here, there is zero question, zero controversy… they are Chinese through and through.
The approximate equivalent of Eurasian in India is Anglo Indian. There are apparently very specific rules around who can be classified as being Anglo Indian. Some that I'm aware of -
1. You have to have a British father and an Indian mother (the other way around will disqualify you) and you should be born before 1947.
2. If you are born after 1947, then you have to be able to trace ancestry back to someone who fits the description in #1.

So my cousin, born in the mid 90s, who has a Scottish mother and an Indian father is not an Anglo Indian.

I'm wondering whether the struggle you faced was just a matter of whether your kids belong to the subculture or whether it is cast in stone as it is in India with Anglo Indians.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 06 Jan 2022 3:37 pm

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 12:18 pm
malcontent wrote:
Tue, 04 Jan 2022 11:51 pm

The approximate equivalent of Eurasian in India is Anglo Indian. There are apparently very specific rules around who can be classified as being Anglo Indian. Some that I'm aware of -
1. You have to have a British father and an Indian mother (the other way around will disqualify you) and you should be born before 1947.
2. If you are born after 1947, then you have to be able to trace ancestry back to someone who fits the description in #1.

So my cousin, born in the mid 90s, who has a Scottish mother and an Indian father is not an Anglo Indian.

I'm wondering whether the struggle you faced was just a matter of whether your kids belong to the subculture or whether it is cast in stone as it is in India with Anglo Indians.
I don’t think it’s cast in stone, I believe my kids can choose a hyphenated race later on. But does that change who they are? It is definitely more about belonging, not just to a subculture, but to the Singaporean concept of what Eurasian is. When someone asks, the answer should not leave questions.

That can be a challenge because the Eurasian community is tiny and fragmented… plus many Singaporeans themselves don’t always know or agree on what means to be Eurasian (except someone famous like Denise Keller — they are quick to claim someone like that).

I think the Eurasian community here needs to do more to shape the Singaporean view, and also find ways to make the new generation of Eurasians feel like they belong, even if they don’t share the history or the subculture. If not, Eurasian as a race will go the way of the dodo bird.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 06 Jan 2022 4:06 pm

So the thing is that in India, the average person has little idea of who can officially claim to be an Anglo Indian - for instance, some people imagine that anyone who is a Christian is an Anglo Indian. However, the reality is that the community themselves have clear rules around it.

I'm surprised if they don't have those rules here. However, I do know that common people often have no idea. I've heard of Indian catholics in Malaysia and Singapore with no known European ancestry claiming to be Eurasians or people think that they are.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Thu, 06 Jan 2022 4:24 pm

In Singapore, Eurasian is refer to mixed European and Asian descent.
It is not purely European father and Indian mother.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_Singaporeans

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 06 Jan 2022 7:06 pm

therat wrote:
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 4:24 pm

European father, Indian mother is an analogy with India. Not saying that it is that way here.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 06 Jan 2022 9:48 pm

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 7:06 pm
therat wrote:
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 4:24 pm

European father, Indian mother is an analogy with India. Not saying that it is that way here.
That makes sense for India, where non-Indian Asians are in short supply. Eurasians in Singapore, while small, are organized and well established. They even have their own self-help group ECF (Eurasian Community Fund), just like CDAC, SINDA & MBMF, with salary deductions for anyone with Eurasian on their IC.