Singapore Expats

Can employer know about EP application from other company

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
blackbag

Can employer know about EP application from other company

Post by blackbag » Tue, 23 Nov 2021 4:38 pm

Hi all,

Can my current employer get to know that another (prospective) future employer has already applied for EP? Will they get any notification or can check in the EP Online portal?

Best,

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Can employer know about EP application from other company

Post by smoulder » Tue, 23 Nov 2021 5:13 pm

I don't think so.

kjose88

Post by kjose88 » Tue, 23 Nov 2021 6:33 pm

If employer want to know it deliberately, they can easily do so on EP online portal as they have your personal particulars (e.g. NRIC/FIN, DOB, Passport number, etc.). However, they won't do it unless there is a need to do so.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Nov 2021 7:24 pm

kjose88 wrote:
Tue, 23 Nov 2021 6:33 pm
If employer want to know it deliberately, they can easily do so on EP online portal as they have your personal particulars (e.g. NRIC/FIN, DOB, Passport number, etc.). However, they won't do it unless there is a need to do so.
An employer can, via EPOL, put in, as noted, NRIC/FIN, DOB Passport and anything else, but all you will received is whether or not there is an application filed or an IPA issued for that FIN number (there will be no NRIC as you only get that if you are a PR or Citizen and you don't need a work pass if you are.

Post edited to reflect misreading the OP's post.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kjose88

Post by kjose88 » Tue, 23 Nov 2021 7:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 23 Nov 2021 7:24 pm
kjose88 wrote:
An employer can, via EPOL, put in, as noted, NRIC/FIN, DOB Passport and anything else, but all you will received is whether or not there is an application filed or an IPA issued for that FIN number (there will be no NRIC as you only get that if you are a PR or Citizen and you don't need a work pass if you are.
blackbag has asked if his/her current employer can know that EP has been filed by another employer, not if they can know future employer details. By checking on EP online portal, one can know if a new EP has been filed for an applicant after entering personal particulars.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Nov 2021 8:03 pm

NRIC Not required, only FIN. PR & SGC do not need work passes of any sort. Otherwise, true. I misread OP's post to mean potential employers details. Will edit my reply accordingly.
kjose88 wrote:
If employer want to know .......... However, they won't do it unless there is a need to do so.
I beg to differ with you on this as well, I spent the last 25 years in HR and the last 15 as the HR & Fin Mgr of a 225 man SME here, in an industry where competition was stiff for manpower/quotas, etc. I only retired 2.5 years ago, nine months before Covid stuck it's' ugly head out. Anyway...

My HR Exec had standing instructions from me to check all work passes once a month via EPOL just to see who had applications and or IPAs that were current. This is actually a good practice to have. This way, when the economy is bad, and the work isn't out there and you have to anticipate downsizing, who you going to let go? Me? I'm going let go those who are obviously wanting to move on anyway. This is also good during the end of the year when bonuses and increments go out as well. It's a good practice in uncertain times and a better practice in boom times as, if the employee is any good, it might be worth having a chat with that employee to see if the company and the employee can find mutual ground.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

blackbag

Post by blackbag » Thu, 25 Nov 2021 6:52 pm

Thank you all for your feedback and for sharing real-life experiences! Always good to hear from someone who has been in HR.

Looks like the next 2-4 weeks will be an anxious one!