Singapore Expats

Interesting PR approval (IPA -applied remotely).

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Interesting PR approval (IPA -applied remotely).

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 23 Nov 2021 9:00 am

A friend in UAE. UK/Australian PP, Caucasian, late 50's, Singapore Chinese wife, no kids. He is an engineer. He has just received IPA for PR here. He did work here for a decade up until about 2010.

He applied from the UAE remotely. I think this is an interesting data point that might give some of you hope (no, not you Sahib, Rajesh, Karim, Ganesh or Mustaffa).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Interesting PR approval (IPA -applied remotely).

Post by smoulder » Tue, 23 Nov 2021 11:43 am

Does he have some kind of niche skills?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 23 Nov 2021 11:54 am

smoulder wrote:
Tue, 23 Nov 2021 11:43 am
Does he have some kind of niche skills?
Oil and Gas engineer, policy development for UAE, some business start up skills. But at almost 60 seems odd.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Tue, 23 Nov 2021 2:47 pm

Are you saying he was out of Singapore for the past 11 years and still got PR approved?

Was his wife in SG all these years and he visited her as a short term visitor or she went with him in whichever country he’s posted to?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Nov 2021 3:01 pm

Tis happened before with certain westerners who have easily transferrable skills. We had another regular who some of our long-time regulars will remember, 'Saint'. He was also married to a Singaporean Chinese, and were childless. Wife was with him in the UK. Applied and received his PR whilst still in the UK and moved here when he received the IPA. He was in Int'l Insurance (I believe shipping oriented but won't swear to that). He came here, wife managed to get pregnant after they came back to SG and had twins, opened a pub down on Boat Key, which we gave lots of business to while it was open. Got involved in charity with Tuk-Tuk races across parts of India raising money to buy school books for impoverished children. In 2020 They held it in Sri Lanka.

https://www.facebook.com/PimpMyTukTuk/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umNYMNvPS78
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 23 Nov 2021 3:37 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Tue, 23 Nov 2021 2:47 pm
Are you saying he was out of Singapore for the past 11 years and still got PR approved?

Was his wife in SG all these years and he visited her as a short term visitor or she went with him in whichever country he’s posted to?
Yes outside
No she followed him
Yes she was w/ him but I don't think it matters.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 24 Nov 2021 1:55 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 23 Nov 2021 9:00 am
A friend in UAE. UK/Australian PP, Caucasian, late 50's, Singapore Chinese wife, no kids. He is an engineer. He has just received IPA for PR here. He did work here for a decade up until about 2010.

He applied from the UAE remotely. I think this is an interesting data point that might give some of you hope (no, not you Sahib, Rajesh, Karim, Ganesh or Mustaffa).
Credit for past contributions, plus family ties?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 24 Nov 2021 3:42 pm

My point I guess is that maybe, just maybe the PR approvals will pick up. Singapore is now competing for talent on a much broader front as evidences by an article in today's NYT.

RoastBeefBaron

Post by RoastBeefBaron » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 11:32 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 23 Nov 2021 3:01 pm
Tis happened before with certain westerners who have easily transferrable skills. We had another regular who some of our long-time regulars will remember, 'Saint'. He was also married to a Singaporean Chinese, and were childless. Wife was with him in the UK. Applied and received his PR whilst still in the UK and moved here when he received the IPA. He was in Int'l Insurance (I believe shipping oriented but won't swear to that). He came here, wife managed to get pregnant after they came back to SG and had twins, opened a pub down on Boat Key, which we gave lots of business to while it was open. Got involved in charity with Tuk-Tuk races across parts of India raising money to buy school books for impoverished children. In 2020 They held it in Sri Lanka.

https://www.facebook.com/PimpMyTukTuk/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umNYMNvPS78
Off-topic, but didn't the PMTT guy run a bar in Siglap, not Boat Quay?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 12:41 pm

The guy in Siglap is not the same guy, but both involved in PMTT. You have mail.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 4:30 am

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 24 Nov 2021 3:42 pm
My point I guess is that maybe, just maybe the PR approvals will pick up. Singapore is now competing for talent on a much broader front as evidences by an article in today's NYT.
Definitely. With COVID, I’d imagine that the government will be much more welcoming of foreign capital, especially labor.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 11:00 pm

They are currently between a rock and a hard place. Grab the foreign talent before all the other first world countries grab it, and if they do, taking a chance on losing the next election as the minions who vote, are against FTs at the moment. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 1:56 am

Sun, 28 Nov 2021 11:00 pm
They are currently between a rock and a hard place. Grab the foreign talent before all the other first world countries grab it, and if they do, taking a chance on losing the next election as the minions who vote, are against FTs at the moment. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Just my opinion.

I see the anti FT sentiment as predominantly anti Indian FT. Maybe Filipinos a distant second and PRCs probably giving them a tough fight. I think most of the non Indian FTs, especially the ones who are not in the aforementioned groups are generally "tolerated". So with that in mind, no harm in giving out a few PRs to Caucasians.

Talking about it from the gahmens point of view of course.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 3:25 am

Agree. Anti foreign sentiment tends to be directed at Indians and other minorities, very rarely caucasians. Double standards at its finest.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 11:31 am

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 29 Nov 2021 1:56 am
Sun, 28 Nov 2021 11:00 pm
Just my opinion.

I see the anti FT sentiment as predominantly anti Indian FT. Maybe Filipinos a distant second and PRCs probably giving them a tough fight. I think most of the non Indian FTs, especially the ones who are not in the aforementioned groups are generally "tolerated". So with that in mind, no harm in giving out a few PRs to Caucasians.

Talking about it from the gahmens point of view of course.
Actually it's from the Gahment POV I'm looking at as well. Can you see the backlash if they modify Immigration policy in the open in order to quell the rant against FT? They cannot cut themselves off at the knees when looking for Talent (an frankly looking at the number of COEs in the US Fortune 500, Indian talent IS a force to be reckoned with and one that the government needs to NOT shut out. If they are selective, it will decrease the demographic percentages and the Gahment is adamant that doesn't change (unless you are talking about increasing the Chinese demographic back from 75% currently to 78% where it was in the 1980's. The locals would love that, but I don't think businesses will like it much. Talent is talent, I don't care were it comes from. Most of the Angmohs that are tolerated are those who have been here donkey's years already. But look at the new breed of Angmohs in the last 4 or 5 years. Look at the numbers who are just as guilty of demasking and other crap over the last two years. You say, but look at how many locals do it. Yeah, and what is their percentage of jerks against their total population versus the Angmoh jerks versus the total Angmoh population? And usually in the most visible locations.