Singapore Expats

Dependant Pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
SGBrit

Dependant Pass

Post by SGBrit » Sun, 21 Nov 2021 9:30 pm

Is a dependant pass guaranteed to be granted to the newly wed wife/husband of an EP holder or could the MOM reject application if it appears that marriage was held just as an attempt to secure a DP? (i.e. application is submitted one week after marriage is official).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Dependant Pass

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Nov 2021 1:44 am

Bingo. Marriage of convenience. They are very wise to that one.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SGBrit

Post by SGBrit » Mon, 22 Nov 2021 9:58 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 22 Nov 2021 1:44 am
Bingo. Marriage of convenience. They are very wise to that one.
Thanks - although I should have been more clear that I am not referring to a 'staged' marriage since my girlfriend and I will inevitably be getting married genuinely in the next 3 years anyway (we have been a couple living together since 2018), however we are considering signing the marriage paperwork asap as her job is at risk and we do not want to be separated in the event that she loses her EP. Are MOM still likely to reject a DP application on those grounds?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 22 Nov 2021 10:10 am

Be prepared to prove the legitimacy of the marriage.

Letters, proof of long term relationship (phone call records, WA message etc), mutual savings or bills help, evidence of regular sexual intercourse (a diary, sharing a bed for example or evidence of birth control used in mutual agreement - the point here is to show that the relationship is longer term and not just for convenience which normally involves no intercourse), and of course children (or discussions about having children) together all help.

Note: Sexual intercourse is not a be all, end all; however the ICA has made it clear in newspaper articles that a purely celibate arrangement is one factor that would cause them concern in addition to other factors (separate sleeping arrangements were cited in one case I recall). Obviously a Josephite type relationship or other religious reason for celibacy should be stated as a defense on this charge.

Rest assured this avenue you're exploring is well known and WORKS if the relationship is legitimate. I know of four couples who have done this is in the Covid-19 era with no issues.

(For shits and giggles - google Josephite Marriages)......
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

SGBrit

Post by SGBrit » Mon, 22 Nov 2021 11:09 am

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 22 Nov 2021 10:10 am
Be prepared to prove the legitimacy of the marriage.

Letters, proof of long term relationship (phone call records, WA message etc), mutual savings or bills help, evidence of regular sexual intercourse (a diary, sharing a bed for example or evidence of birth control used in mutual agreement - the point here is to show that the relationship is longer term and not just for convenience which normally involves no intercourse), and of course children (or discussions about having children) together all help.

Note: Sexual intercourse is not a be all, end all; however the ICA has made it clear in newspaper articles that a purely celibate arrangement is one factor that would cause them concern in addition to other factors (separate sleeping arrangements were cited in one case I recall). Obviously a Josephite type relationship or other religious reason for celibacy should be stated as a defense on this charge.

Rest assured this avenue you're exploring is well known and WORKS if the relationship is legitimate. I know of four couples who have done this is in the Covid-19 era with no issues.

(For shits and giggles - google Josephite Marriages)......
That was super helpful, thank you for sharing! :)