FDW called MOM and complaint

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
Post Reply
Northstar82
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 2:16 am

FDW called MOM and complaint

Post by Northstar82 » Sun, 21 Nov 2021 2:25 am

Need guidance
My FDW called MOM and complaint for not giving her bank account ( however salary been paid timely and all necessary support if she want remit ) with the call she exaggerated over work( to get her hrd more ) , no wifi access ( exaggerated again as I intentionally paused wife after 11:30 for everyone body including myself n spouse and told her it’s for everyone body betterment to get timely rest ) ,medical problems ( she thought it’s SG gov or Our ownership and insurance covers all , though not told to us before , this also she may told as specifically asked by MOM Perosn ).
This call she did outside our home after a argument and shouting insane also provoking me n spouse to hit her while advancing on us yelling “hit me , u want hit me hit me , dare u ( obviously on her language )”
Then she left home saying want to call home , we let her as talking her at that moment was like whole apartment will hear and she can do any tantrum .

Once she was back we politely ask her to sit besides and 1 by 1 ask all problem ( she did nt told she had complaint ) and explain all problems , medical assurance as she told feeling stomach pain , work optimisation techniques ( though all normal routine of 6-9 then 12-3 and then 5:30 to 10 , in between she took enough read , calling frnds , bank account and all other problems resolution I assured , she calm down ..

Later same week I took off from office and get her account open on branch , her prepaid phone number was not accepted , I gave application to telco on her behalf to get proof of ownership and next week that too submitted to bank ( another time off from office )

Now the twist .. after 3 weeks MOM called me that they want FDW to visit and interview , when I asked to her she revealed that she had called on that day .

Any way my wife took her to MOM for interview , all done m they back home , she told mom that all issue resolved but also told exaggeration of her work , that she is assisting my wife in her office work by dropping posts to post box near to our house ( 3 times week , quite eggagerates since it was 2 times a month ) and passing stuff to people on mrt ( 1 or 2 such case whiel she was going to ntuc or leave) .

All fine at that time , now after 3 month of that incidence , MOM investigation officer called as this is the case of illegal deployment , non domestic work , officer took both me n my wife statement , my wife honestly told it all happen last year during pendamic when we try to be at home and minimal movement of household members n hence either my wife or FDw was going for grocery n when she used to go my wife used to give her errand if any since post box , mrt , ntuc are all adjacent , unintentionally n unknowingly it carried away after circuit breaker but was never forced and most of time she volunteer n asked herself if any post to drop ( she like to go out n trying pretext to ask her )
Later when I realise ( end of 2020 ) I only ask strongly that her help not required for any such office work and no such.

Investigating officer wrote out statements( individually ) in form ( thought they were not discriptive with all details as my wife explains as office said it’s not related with case ) and get our sign .

Now I am worried what will be the implications , is there be any criminal case , prosecution etc ?
Should we go for some legal counselling ?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38871
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: FDW called MOM and complaint

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Nov 2021 12:19 pm

You better get a lawyer. Had I been your FWD I'd have reported you a long time ago. You are guilty as hell of maid abuse (Psychological which may be worse than physical). I know for a fact you have gotten the regular emails from the MOM address to the person who name is on the hiring of the FDW. I get them often. I even have a folder where I keep them in my email. I also forward them to my FDW just incase she doesn't receive them. Mom has her email address as well.

One other thing, besides a lawyer. You better pray.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

Northstar82
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 2:16 am

Re: FDW called MOM and complaint

Post by Northstar82 » Sun, 21 Nov 2021 1:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 21 Nov 2021 12:19 pm
You better get a lawyer. Had I been your FWD I'd have reported you a long time ago. You are guilty as hell of maid abuse (Psychological which may be worse than physical). I know for a fact you have gotten the regular emails from the MOM address to the person who name is on the hiring of the FDW. I get them often. I even have a folder where I keep them in my email. I also forward them to my FDW just incase she doesn't receive them. Mom has her email address as well.

One other thing, besides a lawyer. You better pray.
@SM — I only told her what police number , where the station is , where hospital is and what’s mom contact number for any emergency , send and explains her all the letters , even did nt allow her to clean window etc albait hired professional service .

What’s ever small or big she assisted my wife is also her own decision and involvement out of curiosity or whatever , she and my wife living like frnds or rather sisters ,eating together , singing , playing board games and also sharing ladies talk n stuffs ( obviously she does nt have much resource so sense of this statements is she used my wife products and my wife uses the herbal stuff she prepares at our home )

What ever she did was a heat of movement( mental state at that time due her family issues etc ) , neither she is guilty nor I .

What I need is sincere direction or atleast understanding of course of action from wise people of this group

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38871
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: FDW called MOM and complaint

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Nov 2021 1:21 am

Read the first line of my post and the second half of the last line. That is sincere direction based on what you wrote. Just because an FWD volunteers to do something doesn't mean you should let her do it if you know it's not legal in Singapore to do so. You are supposed to be intelligent. Somehow you got a work pass. She is your employee, not your daughter or cousin or whatever. You are legally bound to do certain thing and not allow her to do certain things, whether or not she want to. Do you work for her or vice-versa. What she did, if illegal according to the rules of the MOM, you allowed to happen, then you are responsible and irresponsible as the rules were made known to you before you were allowed the get a FDW.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

Myasis Dragon
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 7:13 am
Answers: 3

Re: FDW called MOM and complaint

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 22 Nov 2021 2:56 am

You are guilty of maid abuse.
  1. Why didn't you give her a bank account. You are not permitting her to manage her own financial affairs, and MoM specifically requires that maids have control over their own finances.
  2. Why do you cut off internet? She is an adult and can make her own decisions about what she does in the evening.
  3. You have struck your maid. This is physical abuse. There is NO EXCUSE for ever striking your maid.

There are many other examples in your post. Your maid should have called MoM to report your abusive behavior. And you are deserving of whatever punishment you get.

Northstar82
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 2:16 am

Re: FDW called MOM and complaint

Post by Northstar82 » Mon, 22 Nov 2021 3:45 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 22 Nov 2021 2:56 am
You are guilty of maid abuse.
  1. Why didn't you give her a bank account. You are not permitting her to manage her own financial affairs, and MoM specifically requires that maids have control over their own finances.
  2. Why do you cut off internet? She is an adult and can make her own decisions about what she does in the evening.
  3. You have struck your maid. This is physical abuse. There is NO EXCUSE for ever striking your maid.

There are many other examples in your post. Your maid should have called MoM to report your abusive behavior. And you are deserving of whatever punishment you get.
What are your talking about ? With due respect r u reading something else or interpreting some aliens language ???

1 . No one struck her , don’t know where did u read that .
2. Bank account is personal , how can I give ? Branches were closed during circuit breaker just before she joined and online opening was not accepting fdw acc opening , I filled form at that time as well which came back asking address proof ( wp card was not in the list of address proof and that the only doc she have for her address in singapore ), mobile number ownership proof ( she had prepaid no such provision ) , she got salary every month end dot day n time n not a single penny remain with me .. she told this to mom that no finance issue ever happen n she is happy , she manages her financial herself . I Time to time educating her as well on savings , small investment , keeping for rainy day , better remittance rate portal , i even took her and open her SingPass account so she can leverage other singapore gov portals . Don’t confuse managing finances is bank account . Even if that was also assisted , she even got message from bank for additional info which she never read for 7-8 month ( I keep asking if she for any but she was not aware , she was checking whatsapp mesaganer , did nt know sms was the platform )

2. It’s not evening, it 11:30 pm ( mid night of sg ) and giving wifi is not a necessary thing ( u go read rules again ) , I am responsible for giving her rest ,and house rule was discussed with all house member then applied , if she would have told that she want exception for her that also would be considered ,
still being an adult she can use her 4g as required , for all other situation she have access to our house common phone 24/7 even isd calls which she herself taking n using ( I gave her blanket approval to use house phone for isd calls n save her money )

She have access to our house keys for all the room n door , many a time she went out at night till 2 am as well , roaming in condo while calling her frnds , I did nt had any concern ever apart from her well being and rest .

First of all , remove the judgemantal gown and focus on intent of this post , I need advice not a opinion in her n me ( she and me n family are good and gelling together ) .

Northstar82
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 2:16 am

Re: FDW called MOM and complaint

Post by Northstar82 » Mon, 22 Nov 2021 3:54 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 22 Nov 2021 1:21 am
Read the first line of my post and the second half of the last line. That is sincere direction based on what you wrote. Just because an FWD volunteers to do something doesn't mean you should let her do it if you know it's not legal in Singapore to do so. You are supposed to be intelligent. Somehow you got a work pass. She is your employee, not your daughter or cousin or whatever. You are legally bound to do certain thing and not allow her to do certain things, whether or not she want to. Do you work for her or vice-versa. What she did, if illegal according to the rules of the MOM, you allowed to happen, then you are responsible and irresponsible as the rules were made known to you before you were allowed the get a FDW.
Thanks SM , it’s blunt and not completely related, I was not at all aware about her n my wife exchanges till last year end when I was clearing my office leaves and was at home , in fact I only realised n stop her and strongly instruct my wife , I felt that is some thing hurt her as I talked strongly but reason was to give message as strong to my wife, however again that’s not why i m here to justify n explain but to have guidance on next action and implications , I got your point and wise advice , thanks much

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8286
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: FDW called MOM and complaint

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 22 Nov 2021 10:23 am

You will not be permitted to hire a new FDW if this continues. You may face charges in court. You certainly will have MOM keeping an eye on you. I have some sympathy to you however (having had to re-read your posts a few times). I suggest you immediately transfer this current FDW to another employer or repatriate her. You are in a situation that will only get worse. I would then carefully consider if you should hire another FDW. In your case I would only do it if your wife and you work through the MOM approved courses for FDW employers and fully understand your obligations.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

the observer
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: FDW called MOM and complaint

Post by the observer » Mon, 22 Nov 2021 5:41 pm

What’s her nationality?

Just anecdotal and kopitiam talk.

Pinoy helpers usually will speak up, and are assertive of their rights.

Indonesians on the other hand usually have less demands, and have more grit.

Good chance to see if there’s truth to these generalizations. So what’s her nationality.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38871
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: FDW called MOM and complaint

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Nov 2021 5:58 pm

I'm afraid I must disagree. I've seen, had, and heard horror stories from all the S.E.Asian FDWs. I've seen good and bad from all races. Usually what causes FDWs to go bad is one of two things. One and probably the most common is 1st time domestic workers who didn't have a clue what they were getting into and decided no can do and quite often are terrible or they just do a runner. I had one of those from Indonesia. I had another who worked me 2 years (Pinay) and when she got ready to leave my wife was suspicious and searched her baggage. Found lots of our nicer clothes, nothing that couldn't be replaced but fortunately I have a home office which is always locked when I'm not home and the FDW was never allow to clean in there (a practice I still follow to this day). My MiL had one from Sri Lanka, was also a disaster and had to be gotten rid of. The best one I've had thus far for almost 4 years not is from Myanmar. And yes, we treat her almost like family. But she has earned the right during the 1st two years taking care of my Dementia ridden MiL who was an invalid as well.

There are good and bad from every country. But the treatment given out by members of their own who hire them is another story. It's a pretty bad backstory that has resulted in the deaths of some locals who hired them. The horror stories of the FWDs treatment here at the hands of the locals are endemic here.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

the observer
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: FDW called MOM and complaint

Post by the observer » Mon, 22 Nov 2021 6:14 pm

Tbh generalizations work to a certain degree. Especially with reference to the bell curve, and outliers being at the ends of either tails.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38871
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: FDW called MOM and complaint

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Nov 2021 1:21 am

the observer wrote:
Mon, 22 Nov 2021 6:14 pm
Tbh generalizations work to a certain degree. Especially with reference to the bell curve, and outliers being at the ends of either tails.
Sorry to hear that you judge on racial lines/tendencies.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

Myasis Dragon
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 7:13 am
Answers: 3

Re: FDW called MOM and complaint

Post by Myasis Dragon » Tue, 23 Nov 2021 1:57 am

the observer wrote:
Mon, 22 Nov 2021 6:14 pm
Tbh generalizations work to a certain degree. Especially with reference to the bell curve, and outliers being at the ends of either tails.
You are stereotyping. You assume that because some of a given class have a certain attribute, then all must have it. This is bigotry. This is racism. And it is faulty reasoning.

No man or woman should be judged by the sins of their brothers or sisters. Yet, this is what you seem to be implying.

the observer
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: FDW called MOM and complaint

Post by the observer » Tue, 23 Nov 2021 8:03 am

It isn’t a broad sweeping generalization of Indonesians vs pinoys.

It is a fragmented observation.
Because Pinoy “fdws”are typically better educated and some are highly educated.

Indonesian “fdws”on the other hand are mostly not, to that extent.

Hence I seek truth to that rumor from the OP.

the observer
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: FDW called MOM and complaint

Post by the observer » Tue, 23 Nov 2021 8:15 am

You are stereotyping. You assume that because some of a given class have a certain attribute, then all must have it. This is bigotry. This is racism. And it is faulty reasoning.

No man or woman should be judged by the sins of their brothers or sisters. Yet, this is what you seem to be implying.

No, a bell curve does not imply all must have it.
There are tails in the curve
. I did not state everyone possesses the same traits. Generalization works to a certain degree is what I said.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Domestic Helper & Babysitter Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests