Singapore Expats

Why are we NOT being given an anti-body test after being double jabbed?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
musical box
Regular
Regular

Why are we NOT being given an anti-body test after being double jabbed?

Post by musical box » Sat, 20 Nov 2021 11:18 am

Be good to know present day anti body level (immunity) before deciding whether to take the 3rd dose.

Am I missing something?

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Why are we NOT being given an anti-body test after being double jabbed?

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 20 Nov 2021 2:53 pm

musical box wrote:Be good to know present day anti body level (immunity) before deciding whether to take the 3rd dose.

Am I missing something?
Political issue. They don’t want to show Chinese vaccines are lower performing than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sun, 21 Nov 2021 3:15 pm

musical box wrote:
Sat, 20 Nov 2021 11:18 am
Be good to know present day anti body level (immunity) before deciding whether to take the 3rd dose.

Am I missing something?
Is someone stopping you? Just go and take. Or are you expecting someone else to pay it for you?

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sun, 21 Nov 2021 3:33 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
musical box wrote:

Am I missing something?
Is someone stopping you? Just go and take. Or are you expecting someone else to pay it for you?
What is the antibody test result going to mean to you or the MOH?

The tests haven’t been standardised either, so one reading may not be relevant to the next measurement if you get a different brand test.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 1:30 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Sat, 20 Nov 2021 2:53 pm
musical box wrote:Be good to know present day anti body level (immunity) before deciding whether to take the 3rd dose.

Am I missing something?
Political issue. They don’t want to show Chinese vaccines are lower performing than others.

Why would that be the concern? Not like the government is a huge proponent of the Chinese vaccine anyway.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 1:31 am

Sun, 21 Nov 2021 3:15 pm
musical box wrote:

Am I missing something?
Pretty sure the question is not about price or ability but more about why its not standard practice. Although I’m not too bothered, probably won’t know how to interpret the results anyway.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 1:32 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Sun, 21 Nov 2021 3:33 pm
musical box wrote:

Am I missing something?
What is the antibody test result going to mean to you or the MOH?

The tests haven’t been standardised either, so one reading may not be relevant to the next measurement if you get a different brand test.

How would the results differ? Are the readings not the same, just manufactured by different firms.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 12:38 pm

Lisa (and others)

Currently the antibody tests from all manufacturers are not the same. You cannot compare the number across the different hospitals/ labs.

In most instances, the GPS wouldn’t even know which test they are offering, and won’t know if the change in value between measurements is due to real immune response or just a different test being used.

WHO also has not supported antibody testing after vaccination, since there is not established reference value for each test.

All in all, a global mess that demanded leadership nearly 2 years ago, but everyone dragged their heels in brining this stage forward.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 5:15 am

I see, had no idea. Always assumed it was just like any other standard lab test, doesn’t really make sense for the values not to be standardized though does it?

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 27 Nov 2021 5:45 am

Lisafuller wrote:I see, had no idea. Always assumed it was just like any other standard lab test, doesn’t really make sense for the values not to be standardized though does it?
It’s phenomenally hard to standardised antibody tests. Usually the WHO has responsibility for the tests relating to infectious diseases.

Some tests like HBV has been standardised, relating to vaccine boosting. C19 needs to happen, but could risk embarrassing some manufacturers for making weak products.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 4:08 am

I see, really do learn something new every day.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sun, 28 Nov 2021 2:23 pm

Personally, I don’t really care what the antibody test shows, it’s not like you’re going to overdose if you get a booster while your antibody count is still high. For me personally, I don’t want to get poked an additional time just to satisfy my curiosity.

Similar situation during my last Heath checkup, the doc said I’ve got insufficient immunity against Hep B and recommended I test for Hep A. I told them, I got my Hep A & Hep B jabs over 20 years ago, so I’m due for both. They argued that they had never seen a case where Hep A was not good for life…. so I asked, then why do I need to test? The doc said, just to be sure. I then said, what is the harm then in just taking the vaccine… after all, it’s been over 20 years. I even pulled up the MOH info on the web that showed a Hep A booster is recommended after as few as 10 years. The doc said you can find lots of things on the web, but only the test is for certain. Finally, I told them, look — just give me the vaccine for both A&B or I’ll find another doctor!

Imagine if I went along with this doctor, I would have gotten poked 2 additional times, one to test and probably one for the separate Hep A.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 3:12 am

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 28 Nov 2021 2:23 pm
Personally, I don’t really care what the antibody test shows, it’s not like you’re going to overdose if you get a booster while your antibody count is still high. For me personally, I don’t want to get poked an additional time just to satisfy my curiosity.

Similar situation during my last Heath checkup, the doc said I’ve got insufficient immunity against Hep B and recommended I test for Hep A. I told them, I got my Hep A & Hep B jabs over 20 years ago, so I’m due for both. They argued that they had never seen a case where Hep A was not good for life…. so I asked, then why do I need to test? The doc said, just to be sure. I then said, what is the harm then in just taking the vaccine… after all, it’s been over 20 years. I even pulled up the MOH info on the web that showed a Hep A booster is recommended after as few as 10 years. The doc said you can find lots of things on the web, but only the test is for certain. Finally, I told them, look — just give me the vaccine for both A&B or I’ll find another doctor!

Imagine if I went along with this doctor, I would have gotten poked 2 additional times, one to test and probably one for the separate Hep A.
Fair point, I personally have no issue with needles so I wouldn’t mind, but definitely seems pointless to get tested unless there is a greater reason.

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by MikeJones » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 5:13 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 28 Nov 2021 2:23 pm

From the docs point of view if you test first then come back for booster, then they can charge you (or your insurer) twice :D

Mike

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Mon, 29 Nov 2021 7:33 pm

Well, they are less likely to fall foul of any malpractice suit if they check you first before giving a vaccine…