Singapore Expats

Timeline of my Wife's PMLA/LTVP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
theoneandonly

Timeline of my Wife's PMLA/LTVP

Post by theoneandonly » Thu, 18 Nov 2021 6:28 pm

Hi All.

Read through this forum and understood many things here. Decide to contribute some stuff for all those applying/planning to apply for LTVP

My Profile:
Job: Self Employed/Sales
Annual salary: S$40K
Education: Just O Levels
Housing: Staying with Parents' 4room HDB

Spouse Profile:
Job: Cafe Baristar
Annual Salary: Equiv to 7000SGD (really low i know)
Education: Secondary Equivalent

Additional Details: She cant really speak english (I can speak rather fluent Thai)

We've been together since 2019 (When i was still serving my NS) and decide to marry just 1 year after knowing each other (Cos we cant stand to be apart- Especially since it was during covid that we were not together and we feel we should build a future together while we still have nothing)

Nov 2020 Applied for Her to come into SG via Spouse to Be channel during Covid period
16 Jan 2021 Applied for PMLA
11 March 2021 PMLA Approved
26 Oct 2021 - We finally ROM
27 Oct 2021 - Extended for her Short term visit pass + Applied for LTVP online
* Just require Applicant D/E Number, passport, your IC, CPF/Payslip (For employed) or NOA (For Self Employed)
29 Oct 2021 - ICA Requested for some personal details and income prove etc.
*They requested for my company ACRA and latest FY PnL
2nd November 2021: Approved in Principle and Require to go for Medical checkup (Went on the same day)
*Went to the clinic at Peace centre as it was near our place and cost bout $50- They offer same day report if you go in the morning too
3rd November 2021: Receive Lab report and submited to ICA
4th November 2021: Approved in Principle
Earliest Appointment was 18th november so we booked 18th

18th November TODAY!: We got to ICA building at 9am, took a queue to submit the documents stated in the IPA (Actually just my IC and my Wife's passport)
We were served almost immediately and the process took barely 5 minutes. Then we were told to wait for another queue
Waited for bout 20 minutes and my wife scan finger prints and got her LTVP Card within 10 minutes after.

Overall waiting time from submiting document to approval considering I submited documents on 30th Saturday: 1-2 working days!

I was really shocked when I got approved as i heard stories of countless of rejections due to " Short time being together/married" , "Low income" etc. But from what I see, ICA approves each individual by their own merits.

I knew my wife for about 2 years when we married and just 1 day after married we applied for LTVP. Considering our salary isn't high averaging to bout 3k per month (Or rather just mine- since she is not employed when she is in Singapore during this period) and the fact that we are both really young. We got approved in the end (And really fast too)

To all those who fear that they will get rejected, honestly just give it a try. I'm a good example of what many "feels" will not get the LTVP approved. And afterall, you wont know if you don't try. And even if you fail, what's there to lose other then the application fee? Don't listen to people saying "don't bother applying as it is hard to get approved" and believe in yourself.

Next step would be working hard apply for a PLOC and then apply for PR a year or 2 later.

Lastly, each application is different and mine is just a reference and perhaps a motivation for those who have yet to apply for LTVP. The wait may be daunting but just be patient and wait for what ICA has to says.

Hope this post is useful to those reading:)
Last edited by theoneandonly on Thu, 18 Nov 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hellogoodbyee

Re: Timeline of my Wife's PMLA/LTVP

Post by hellogoodbyee » Thu, 18 Nov 2021 6:55 pm

Wasn't there an option to apply for PLOC at the same time when you applied for LTVP?

theoneandonly

Post by theoneandonly » Thu, 18 Nov 2021 6:57 pm

I didn't see that option there(Or i probably missed out on this) . So would likely call up MOM the next few days

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Nov 2021 7:30 pm

The fact that you all knew each other for a while prior to the marriage was one thing. But I have a sneaking suspicion what was the clincher is that you didn't wait until you were 30+ to marry. I've always been a firm believer that the government here would like to see folks marrying younger rather than progressively older (statistics bear this out). I got married at 36, also at 28 and at 21. But only had offspring after the 3rd marriage (which is now 38+ years). The older one gets, to my way of trying to think like an ICA Officer, would be the older the more likely a marriage of convenience. Younger means there is actually 'feels' involved and not just a BTO. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 18 Nov 2021 8:48 pm

theoneandonly wrote:
Thu, 18 Nov 2021 6:57 pm
I didn't see that option there(Or i probably missed out on this) .
That is unlikely. I applied LTVP for my husband thrice and most recently this year was his renewal. All 3 times there was the option for PLOC.

You probably accidentally selected “No” for the “Do you want to be considered for PLOC?” question.

It’s the very last question in the list of yes/no questions. Most of the questions on top are “Have you been declared bankrupt?”, “Do you have criminal record?”, etc and we answer no to all of them so highly likely you selected no for PLOC by accident. Just be careful and read carefully for the renewal next time.

No worries about that. My understanding is that you can apply PLOC with MOM. Someone in the forum did that early this year with an existing LTVP and got approved for PLOC.

theoneandonly

Post by theoneandonly » Thu, 02 Dec 2021 1:13 am

Got MOM and provided particulars and they send me a form to fill in last Monday. They approve the LOC the very next day😊

Also, I know it sounds stupid to apply for PR at this very stage, but yes i did.

To my thinking, having just a LTVP is nothing except that my spouse could stay and work. But getting a PR to us is getting privileges such as getting a BTO and starting our family (frankly speaking which young couple can afford a resale flat? Even if they did, at a normal rate do we have to wait for 30 to buy a house and start a family?)

So yes, applied for Pr For my wife and hope for the best. Even if rejected, its just a $100 loss in application fee. No harm done😂
If it is approve, yay. We could start our family planning earlier😊

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 02 Dec 2021 8:18 am

You applied PR too early IMO. Common consensus is to wait 2-3 years after marriage before applying or ICA sees it as a marriage of convenience. Could have used $100 to invest instead or save it. :P

Though sms does say you buy your ticket and take the chances. Just don’t be too disappointed if rejected the first time.

You can still get BTO under non-citizen spouse scheme, just that it’s only 2 room flat in non-mature estate. You can also just rent temporarily or get a small flat first and then upgrade to a bigger one once she gets PR.

I did want to stay with my parents but they said we should have our own space and privacy lol. Best decision ever, my friends are having issues staying with their in-laws.

I rented for a while before buying a small resale using my salary alone… the grants I received were that of a single even though I’m married (but to a foreigner). That’s a rant for another day.

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Post by JWNYsg » Wed, 08 Dec 2021 3:06 pm

Thank you for sharing. My wife is Thai also and we just relocated back to Singapore. Hopefully I can get an extended STVP or LTVP in next few weeks