Singapore Expats

Can employer cancel offer letter after I signed?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
cma1

Can employer cancel offer letter after I signed?

Post by cma1 » Sat, 13 Nov 2021 12:33 pm

I recently got offer from SG company and I signed the offer letter. They said they will apply work pass and told me not to resign before work pass is approved. Firstly they applied work permit and it got rejected. So they continue applying EP which is likely to be rejected as I'm only qualify for S Pass. I think they don't apply S pass because of not enough quota.

Now I'm waiting for EP result. I know the rejection chance is 99%. I'm worried about what can happen next if EP got rejected. The offer letter describes company can terminate employment with two month notice or salary. It even contains the join date.

I've been rejected to other interviews since I got offer there. I had prepared so much to move to SG. Can they just cancel the offer letter coz of WP got rejected? During the interview they said they are working from home due to Covid. Is there anything I can do if they cancel the offer letter?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Can employer cancel offer letter after I signed?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Nov 2021 1:38 pm

The Job Offer letter is only valid (and the codicils contained therein) only become valid IF a work pass approval is obtained by the employer. If they don't have the quota for the S pass and the EP is already been rejected, the contract has never become valid, signed, dated or not.

You only have two options. a) Look for another position; or, b) continue to work for your current employer as you were already told not to resign UNTIL an IPA was granted.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 14 Nov 2021 2:28 pm

Be patient. Every employer here is struggling with EP quotas.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

intoview5

Post by intoview5 » Thu, 16 Dec 2021 4:35 am

Hi,

How long is the processing time for you with the work permit before it got rejected? And did they state what is the reason for rejection? Have you got result for EP yet?