difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
`adambed
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 10:25 pm

Re: difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Post by `adambed » Tue, 09 Nov 2021 7:49 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Tue, 09 Nov 2021 3:58 am
`adambed wrote:
Tue, 09 Nov 2021 3:19 am
A carpenter or plumber may be paid like 100k in the big cities of Australia.

But I can't drive around sawing tables or digging faeces all day.

It's just I am not made for blue collar work.
Sounds like you're not made for any kind of work.

After all, you've failed at "executive jobs", you seem to get to cross purposes with all of your bosses, and by your derogatory comments about others (a-holes, crazy, nutcase), you seem to think that the problem lies with other people and not yourself.

My advice? Take a long look at yourself to find out why you get fired, why "politics" is such a big deal to you, and why you seem to rub people the wrong way.
You are wrong.

If you did read, you will realise that a few of my bosses in sg liked me and I was competent at my job. But some of them were later replaced by aholes.

I am just objectively saying I see a lot of politics in sg and many ppl being fired (not just me). In fact the more competent you are, I think the more they want to get rid of you, especially your peers but sometimes also your direct manager who may feel threatened.

All of these places usually have the same a-holes crazy ppl and lots of people leaving constantly.

A survey I read seems to suggest about 50% of people here are looking to change jobs annually and sg has the world's unhappiest workers which is just about right in my experience.

The corporate setting here (and actually most parts of the world) is filled to the brim with stupid and incompetent aholes and crazy women. It's the truth whether u like it or not and whether u are part of it or not.
Last edited by `adambed on Tue, 09 Nov 2021 8:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

`adambed
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 10:25 pm

Re: difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Post by `adambed » Tue, 09 Nov 2021 7:55 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Tue, 09 Nov 2021 8:53 am
`adambed wrote:
Tue, 09 Nov 2021 3:19 am
A carpenter or plumber may be paid like 100k in the big cities of Australia.

But I can't drive around sawing tables or digging faeces all day.

It's just I am not made for blue collar work.
Not every executive job. There are many executive jobs here that are paid low. Only certain industries like banking and finance etc that too MNCs pay well. You are a 2nd gen PR and not on EP, so I am assuming you are competing with locals at the very low end and you didn't get a break into the big leagues of companies which have full of expats. If you tell us the nationality of you colleagues and boss, we could guess what kind of companies you worked in.


Bank teller salary in SG
https://www.payscale.com/research/SG/Jo ... ler/Salary

Bank teller salary in Sydney
https://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Jo ... df1/Sydney

DBA salary in SG
https://www.payscale.com/research/SG/Jo ... /Singapore

DBA salary in Sydney
https://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Jo ... BA)/Salary

I know many people who were working in SG and then went on an applied for Australia PR or went to study in Australia with the intention to immigrate there.

But I am yet to see someone who quit his/her job in Australia to come and work in Singapore.

The only Australians I know who are working in Singapore are high end expats who makes upwards of 200k. I would be surprised to see Australians who make less than 100k and work in Singapore.
I strongly disagree that only Australians or foreigners earning more than 200k pa are working in sg. In fact most Australians I would say are under 200k.

Yes of course there are lowly paid executive jobs in sg but I am just saying in general sg pays more especially taking into account tax and rent.

`adambed
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 10:25 pm

Re: difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Post by `adambed » Tue, 09 Nov 2021 8:09 pm

this is one interesting article i read recently.

sadly i also happened to know another person who was employed at this company and he too was forced out within a year in the early 2010s. i believe he was unemployed for like almost 6-9 months thereafter...this guy was married with kids and was the only income provider for his family...and i believe he doesn't even earn much more than 4-5k at that time.

but he found another job that suits him better i guess and he has been in it for 5-6 years since.

Former employees of WWF Singapore expose bullying, toxic work environment

https://theindependent.sg/former-employ ... vironment/

“I WAS CONSTANTLY TOLD THAT I WAS NOT WORTH ANYTHING. ALL I COULD SEE OF MYSELF WAS A FAILURE.”

Some months after she had been diagnosed, she lodged a complaint at the headquarters of the NGO concerning the toxic management practices of its Singapore branch, which led to an investigation.

Ms Ponsinet added that at least seven people on the same team she was in at WWF left in under three years while the team was under the former manager’s purview. There was also a group chat on Telegram wherein former employees swapped alleged bullying stories.
Last edited by `adambed on Tue, 09 Nov 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8778
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 2
Location: Sinkapore

Re: difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 09 Nov 2021 8:51 pm

There's definitely a problem with bullying and power deranged bosses here.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

`adambed
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 10:25 pm

Re: difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Post by `adambed » Tue, 09 Nov 2021 8:55 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 09 Nov 2021 8:51 pm
There's definitely a problem with bullying and power deranged bosses here.
i think there is competition and politics to some degree in every workplace.

but i think once again spore seems to take it to a very unhealthy and dysfuntional level where there is no sense of fair play

seems to be the same for everything from primary school, to uni, to workplace to politics

all these toxic places i have been in usually have the same symptoms...which is basically a very high turnover rate either team wise or office wide :cool: :cool:

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 7:13 am
Answers: 5

Re: difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Post by Myasis Dragon » Wed, 10 Nov 2021 1:18 am

`adambed wrote:
Tue, 09 Nov 2021 7:49 pm
The corporate setting here (and actually most parts of the world) is filled to the brim with stupid and incompetent aholes and crazy women. It's the truth whether u like it or not and whether u are part of it or not.
I worked in multiple corporate environments in Singapore over the course of eight years. None of them were "filled to the brim with stupid and incompetent aholes and crazy women."

I stand by my original comments. The problem lies with you.

`adambed
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 10:25 pm

Re: difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Post by `adambed » Wed, 10 Nov 2021 2:20 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Wed, 10 Nov 2021 1:18 am
`adambed wrote:
Tue, 09 Nov 2021 7:49 pm
The corporate setting here (and actually most parts of the world) is filled to the brim with stupid and incompetent aholes and crazy women. It's the truth whether u like it or not and whether u are part of it or not.
I worked in multiple corporate environments in Singapore over the course of eight years. None of them were "filled to the brim with stupid and incompetent aholes and crazy women."

I stand by my original comments. The problem lies with you.
I stand by my original comment, especially the part in bold (The corporate setting here (and actually most parts of the world) is filled to the brim with stupid and incompetent aholes ). Thank you.

`adambed
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 10:25 pm

Re: difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Post by `adambed » Wed, 10 Nov 2021 3:06 am

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 09 Nov 2021 8:51 pm
There's definitely a problem with bullying and power deranged bosses here.
Thankfully, I have 1) options (to work elsewhere if i want to) and 2) money and also 3) a small business which brings in a few grand monthly to pay the bills. :P

SG's business environment is definitely much better than say China and Indonesia (maotai, corruption, blatant cronyism) but it's still pretty garbagey. The cronyism and corruption is less in your face but its definitely widely present in more legal formats (i guess this is the same worldwide).

User avatar
Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2006 12:37 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Darkest Telok Blangah

Re: difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Post by Addadude » Wed, 10 Nov 2021 5:36 pm

`adambed wrote:
Tue, 09 Nov 2021 7:49 pm
You are wrong.

If you did read, you will realise that a few of my bosses in sg liked me and I was competent at my job. But some of them were later replaced by aholes.

I am just objectively saying I see a lot of politics in sg and many ppl being fired (not just me). In fact the more competent you are, I think the more they want to get rid of you, especially your peers but sometimes also your direct manager who may feel threatened.

All of these places usually have the same a-holes crazy ppl and lots of people leaving constantly.

A survey I read seems to suggest about 50% of people here are looking to change jobs annually and sg has the world's unhappiest workers which is just about right in my experience.

The corporate setting here (and actually most parts of the world) is filled to the brim with stupid and incompetent aholes and crazy women. It's the truth whether u like it or not and whether u are part of it or not.
This is the kind of 'tough love' you may get on this forum when you seek advice. You won't always get sympathy. In fact it's not uncommon to get feedback that you won't particularly like. But it doesn't make that feedback any less truthful or indeed useful - if you choose to consider it.

The fact is, you seem to be continuously finding yourself working for companies that are, as you put it, "filled to the brim with stupid and incompetent aholes and crazy women." So could it be that you have a lot of bad luck... or are just really bad at choosing the right organizations to work for?

It's certainly not the case that every organization here is that dysfunctional - and I'm saying that with the benefit of experience that comes from 28 years of living and working here.

You need to consider it may not be that all companies here are "full of stupid and incompetent aholes and crazy women". Maybe the problem is you. Maybe that organization is simply not the right culture for you. It happens.

I spent 2 miserable years in an organization where, to me, it was clear that there was full on Dunning Kruger Syndrome going on and it appeared rife with company politics complete with weaponised emails as standard. I hated every moment there but stuck it out because I needed the job. But the fact is, this organization has been around for decades, with a sterling reputation for excellence in its field. So it certainly wasn't going to change to suit me. I also realised that most of colleagues did not experience the same challenges that I faced. In fact most were proud to be there. So clearly I was the one with the problem.

I eventually found a new role in a new company and was infinitely happier. You have to do the same for yourself - BUT, stop blaming these organizations or some "Singapore corporate culture". It won't help you in any way.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

`adambed
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 10:25 pm

Re: difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Post by `adambed » Wed, 10 Nov 2021 6:26 pm

Addadude wrote:
Wed, 10 Nov 2021 5:36 pm
`adambed wrote:
Tue, 09 Nov 2021 7:49 pm
You are wrong.

If you did read, you will realise that a few of my bosses in sg liked me and I was competent at my job. But some of them were later replaced by aholes.

I am just objectively saying I see a lot of politics in sg and many ppl being fired (not just me). In fact the more competent you are, I think the more they want to get rid of you, especially your peers but sometimes also your direct manager who may feel threatened.

All of these places usually have the same a-holes crazy ppl and lots of people leaving constantly.

A survey I read seems to suggest about 50% of people here are looking to change jobs annually and sg has the world's unhappiest workers which is just about right in my experience.

The corporate setting here (and actually most parts of the world) is filled to the brim with stupid and incompetent aholes and crazy women. It's the truth whether u like it or not and whether u are part of it or not.
This is the kind of 'tough love' you may get on this forum when you seek advice. You won't always get sympathy. In fact it's not uncommon to get feedback that you won't particularly like. But it doesn't make that feedback any less truthful or indeed useful - if you choose to consider it.

The fact is, you seem to be continuously finding yourself working for companies that are, as you put it, "filled to the brim with stupid and incompetent aholes and crazy women." So could it be that you have a lot of bad luck... or are just really bad at choosing the right organizations to work for?

It's certainly not the case that every organization here is that dysfunctional - and I'm saying that with the benefit of experience that comes from 28 years of living and working here.

You need to consider it may not be that all companies here are "full of stupid and incompetent aholes and crazy women". Maybe the problem is you. Maybe that organization is simply not the right culture for you. It happens.

I spent 2 miserable years in an organization where, to me, it was clear that there was full on Dunning Kruger Syndrome going on and it appeared rife with company politics complete with weaponised emails as standard. I hated every moment there but stuck it out because I needed the job. But the fact is, this organization has been around for decades, with a sterling reputation for excellence in its field. So it certainly wasn't going to change to suit me. I also realised that most of colleagues did not experience the same challenges that I faced. In fact most were proud to be there. So clearly I was the one with the problem.

I eventually found a new role in a new company and was infinitely happier. You have to do the same for yourself - BUT, stop blaming these organizations or some "Singapore corporate culture". It won't help you in any way.
hey bud, i never did say all companies are bad. i also experienced a good company myself (1/3 in sg) but being in a volatile world, even good managers can all resign or the company can collapse.

as for your experience where every email is weaponised and u choosing to suck it up because it is a 'good name' so it cannot be wrong, i find it that to be pathetic to be honest.

luckily i am in a position financially and work wise with my own business not to have to deal with that.

i am not sure if u even took a management module before or have any concept of business. when i refer to bad companies i refer to those with like 50+% ppl leaving annually. i would say probably nearly 50% of companies in sg are like this. if u still insist this is due to one person's cultural fit when 50+% of all employees in the department leave annually or maybe its even more like 80+% in my experience...then i can see why u have what it takes to survive the corporate world for 30+++ years...anyway hope ur paycheck was high enough to justify ur joyful life

User avatar
Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2006 12:37 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Darkest Telok Blangah

Re: difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Post by Addadude » Wed, 10 Nov 2021 9:54 pm

`adambed wrote:
Wed, 10 Nov 2021 6:26 pm
as for your experience where every email is weaponised and u choosing to suck it up because it is a 'good name' so it cannot be wrong, i find it that to be pathetic to be honest.
Now I see where your issue is. You don't seem to be able to parse information correctly. That is not what I said. (Try reading it again slowly and out loud.) You have clearly illustrated your inability to understand what people are telling you and instead you put your own spin on it, pulling 'facts' out of your nether regions to 'confirm' your very narrow world view.

Having said that, I'm happy that you are in a position to not to have to deal with the sordid reality of actually working for someone else. It really doesn't sound like you are cut out for it. But it does beg the question, why on earth are you on this forum looking for advice? Or are you just here to bitch and moan and hopefully have your prejudices confirmed by others? (Note: you might be on the wrong forum for that...)
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

smoulder
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Post by smoulder » Thu, 11 Nov 2021 2:10 am

I see a pattern. Your request for advice is actually just a request for people to nod in agreement with your viewpoints. When they give you advice (tough love like someone said), you don't like it. More reason for some of us to be convinced that you are the issue and not so much those companies. If you are managing to rub people up the wrong way in an internet forum, I can imagine how they feel about you in person.

`adambed
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 10:25 pm

Re: difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Post by `adambed » Thu, 11 Nov 2021 2:13 am

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 11 Nov 2021 2:10 am
I see a pattern. Your request for advice is actually just a request for people to nod in agreement with your viewpoints. When they give you advice (tough love like someone said), you don't like it. More reason for some of us to be convinced that you are the issue and not so much those companies. If you are managing to rub people up the wrong way in an internet forum, I can imagine how they feel about you in person.
i think its pretty much pointless talking to the ppl here like u.

the point is not that you cannot disagree, you can disagree with the topic on whether sporean workplaces are more toxic or not, you can provide your experience that they are not or that they are.

but the nonsense you are spewing is just pathetic. you dont even know me except the limited info i shared here and i wont even know u or care what u say.

if anything, i think some of the posters like u only provide more evidence that sg workplaces are indeed somehow more toxic :roll: :roll:

smoulder
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Post by smoulder » Thu, 11 Nov 2021 12:40 pm

Said the soldier marching out of step - he kept complaining that everyone else was marching out of step.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39768
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Nov 2021 5:48 pm

Well, as I see it, just like his former employers probably told him, and probably for the same reasons already mentioned there, he should not let the door hit him in the arse on his way out. He is wasting everybody's time here as he cannot seem to see the forest because of the trees.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests