Singapore Expats

difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Re: difficulties staying in a job for long in singapore (too much politics)

Post by tiktok » Thu, 11 Nov 2021 9:54 pm

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 11 Nov 2021 2:10 am
I see a pattern.
Me too. New guy shows up. Seasoned regulars put him down. New guy is understandably pissed off. Remaining regulars join the narrative that new guy is a nut job.

SMS I like the way you only show up after your buddies have fluffed him up.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Nov 2021 10:10 pm

I see our resident troll has crawled out from under his rock again.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Thu, 11 Nov 2021 10:14 pm

Can't you think of anything else to say?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 12 Nov 2021 6:46 am

Common denominator: whine about the place you don't like, blame everybody else for it, still stick around.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 12 Nov 2021 8:37 am

touché, @x9200 :D

But in all seriousness, when people start making personal attacks on the internet, any rational discussion turns into a pissing match. It would be good if the moderators realise this.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Fri, 12 Nov 2021 9:50 am

tiktok wrote:
Fri, 12 Nov 2021 8:37 am
touché, @x9200 :D

But in all seriousness, when people start making personal attacks on the internet, any rational discussion turns into a pissing match. It would be good if the moderators realise this.
I don't think they were personal attacks so much as some very blunt advice. I'm not sure what the OP was looking for when he posted here. It suspect he wanted affirmation more than advice. Unfortunately what he got was advice. He took it personally instead of taking a step back and considering whether this advice, however 'harsh', might actually be useful.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 12 Nov 2021 10:42 am

Your posts have been ok @Addadude, others less so. It's fine to suggest the OP looks at himself. But if you come out with "the problem is you" then you might as well say "dickhead" and the thread goes to shit.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 12 Nov 2021 12:16 pm

tiktok wrote:
Fri, 12 Nov 2021 10:42 am
Your posts have been ok @Addadude, others less so. It's fine to suggest the OP looks at himself. But if you come out with "the problem is you" then you might as well say "dickhead" and the thread goes to shit.
But as you could see even a very well balanced post of Addadude turned the OP against him.
I agree, some things could be said better way, and as you probably noticed I very seldom resort to bashing newcomers (even if I think what I think and this agrees with the others) but sometimes there is not a good way because the problem is really elsewhere.
Let's see how you responded in this threat (and similar ones earlier). Instead of undertaking some constructive dialog or trying to calm down the exchange you tried to pour in a few liters of gasoline. Sorry, you reprimand the moderators (and regulars) all the time but I don't see anything that makes you acting really that differently. This is still fine I guess but then it looks the only reason you post on this forum is pissing off some of the moderators :)

BTW, would you hire the OP based on his posts in this thread?

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 12 Nov 2021 12:35 pm

Hey, it's not my job to calm down threads or keep them on track, that's yours :)

Sure my posts are often inflammatory, but I'm only reacting to what I see is unreasonable behaviour by the mods and "veterans" here.

Meanwhile early in my days here, I noticed a moderator posted some mistruths about the HK protests, a politically sensitive topic at the time, one I am close to, and one which many bad actors were trying to skew facts to their advantage. I did not "pour gasoline" or make any personal attack on the mod, I just pointed out the facts and asked him to retract those statements which could cause real harm. Instead of doing that I've been insulted and called a troll ever since. I mean seriously wtf. That's why I hang around and be the occasional asshole.

Answer to your question: probably not, but I don't think we have enough info to make that call.