Singapore Expats

Spending majority of year in Sing as a Retired Tourist?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re:

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 14 Nov 2022 8:15 am

hangmann wrote:
Mon, 14 Nov 2022 3:30 am
Bumping this convo up. As an update, I'm still living in Singapore, but my EP is about to end next month. Wondering if I should keep my apartment here as my Asia homebase in retirement. My rent is still pretty cheap so I don't think its too much of a financial burden. I'd only want to spend 6-8 months here. Does everything still think this is a bad idea to do only on tourist visas?
Rent is not static. I would give it up and rent in a much cheaper locale such as Chiang Mai or Melaka or KL or HuaHin.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re:

Post by NYY1 » Mon, 14 Nov 2022 9:15 am

hangmann wrote:
Bumping this convo up. As an update, I'm still living in Singapore, but my EP is about to end next month. Wondering if I should keep my apartment here as my Asia homebase in retirement. My rent is still pretty cheap so I don't think its too much of a financial burden. I'd only want to spend 6-8 months here. Does everything still think this is a bad idea to do only on tourist visas?
You are renting a place and you want to keep renting it (even beyond the current term) to use as a base for 6-8 months out of the year?

If so, I'd suggest you check your tenancy agreement. Don't most have a clause that the tenant must have the right to reside in Singapore?

PNGMK

Re: Re:

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 14 Nov 2022 11:42 am

NYY1 wrote:
Mon, 14 Nov 2022 9:15 am
hangmann wrote:
You are renting a place and you want to keep renting it (even beyond the current term) to use as a base for 6-8 months out of the year?

If so, I'd suggest you check your tenancy agreement. Don't most have a clause that the tenant must have the right to reside in Singapore?
Yes but he could show a valid SVP to the LL when he comes in every time. Actually this is why wealthy people buy condos here (to use as a base).

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by NYY1 » Mon, 14 Nov 2022 12:23 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 14 Nov 2022 11:42 am
NYY1 wrote:
hangmann wrote:

Yes but he could show a valid SVP to the LL when he comes in every time. Actually this is why wealthy people buy condos here (to use as a base).
OK. I interpret these as two different situations but I don't know for sure how they are classified. Owning a condo and leaving it empty (or used part-time to very infrequently) happens in any global city (for a number of reasons), and there are no problems with that. I would view a tourist visa/SVP as different from the right to reside but they could be the same.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Spending majority of year in Sing as a Retired Tourist?

Post by malcontent » Mon, 14 Nov 2022 1:18 pm

As a foreigner, you’d only consider Singapore if you are extraordinarily wealthy or exceptionally well paid to be here.

For someone that just loves Singapore, the Sarawak MM2H visa would allow you to live in JB for 11 out of 12 months of the year, and visit Singapore anytime you like.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

hangmann

Post by hangmann » Mon, 14 Nov 2022 4:16 pm

jwoods1864 wrote:
Mon, 14 Nov 2022 5:47 am
Do you have a passport that grants you 90 days on an STVP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I get 90 days each tourist visit (US Passport). Though I think my typical stay pattern would be 1-2 months max per entry.

hangmann

Post by hangmann » Mon, 14 Nov 2022 4:21 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 14 Nov 2022 1:18 pm
As a foreigner, you’d only consider Singapore if you are extraordinarily wealthy or exceptionally well paid to be here.

For someone that just loves Singapore, the Sarawak MM2H visa would allow you to live in JB for 11 out of 12 months of the year, and visit Singapore anytime you like.
Two things:

- Whats your opinion on living in JB as a retiree? I heard it was dangerous there still, but thats a (sheltered) Singaporean friend's opinion.

- I heard the Sarawak MM2H backdoor is no longer so attractive because both deposit and regular income are requirements now, and the min number of days in Sarawak has increased to 30 per year.
Last edited by hangmann on Mon, 14 Nov 2022 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hangmann

Post by hangmann » Mon, 14 Nov 2022 4:23 pm

NYY1 wrote:
hangmann wrote:

Yes, this is a good point. I'm unclear whether I can resign a rental lease just under a SVP. I may sign a 2 year lease right before my EP ends just for this reason.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 14 Nov 2022 4:38 pm

hangmann wrote:
Mon, 14 Nov 2022 4:21 pm
malcontent wrote:
Mon, 14 Nov 2022 1:18 pm

As an aside, I heard the Sarawak MM2H backdoor is no longer so great because both deposit and regular income are requirements now, and the min number of days in Sarawak has increased to 30 per year.
If you can’t meet the financial eligibility, then you’re probably not ready to retire. The mandatory month-long vacation in Sarawak (up from 2 weeks) is a big turn-off. However, if you want to retain easy and regular access to Singapore, what other options are there?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 14 Nov 2022 4:56 pm

Out of curiosity, what's the driver behind wanting access to Singapore in particular?

jwoods1864
Regular
Regular

Post by jwoods1864 » Mon, 14 Nov 2022 7:41 pm

hangmann wrote:
NYY1 wrote:
hangmann wrote:

Yes, this is a good point. I'm unclear whether I can resign a rental lease just under a SVP. I may sign a 2 year lease right before my EP ends just for this reason.
Yeah that's not a bad idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hangmann

Post by hangmann » Thu, 17 Nov 2022 3:21 am

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 14 Nov 2022 4:56 pm
Out of curiosity, what's the driver behind wanting access to Singapore in particular?
I guess I've just become used to my easy life here. It's a little boring but ultimately more healthy of a lifestyle than other SEAsian cities, for example, can take bike rides and play tennis really easily everyday. I'm also Asian American (not Chinese however, else I'd have PR) so just feel like I blend in here without much effort.

But the fact that I don't have PR, and would be at the whim of my landlord and ICA, makes me feel like the wise thing to do would be to count my losses and find a new place I can call home, a place I know I can definitely stay long term.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 18 Nov 2022 10:31 am

I know a few folk who have started out doing this and have retired in Singapore. They inevitability leave unless they have family ties. The costs are relentless and there are better locales actually.

Peter Anderson, ROV Pilot Tech did this for years in a black and white and now lives in VN.

An old British lady I met who was a former National Service Soldiers widow was here until her children convinced her to move to BNE.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:16 am

hangmann wrote:
Thu, 17 Nov 2022 3:21 am
smoulder wrote:
Mon, 14 Nov 2022 4:56 pm
I guess I've just become used to my easy life here. It's a little boring but ultimately more healthy of a lifestyle than other SEAsian cities, for example, can take bike rides and play tennis really easily everyday. I'm also Asian American (not Chinese however, else I'd have PR) so just feel like I blend in here without much effort.

But the fact that I don't have PR, and would be at the whim of my landlord and ICA, makes me feel like the wise thing to do would be to count my losses and find a new place I can call home, a place I know I can definitely stay long term.
I get it, singapore has its flaws like any other city, but on a whole, it's a hell of a lot better than practically anywhere else in the region, or the world for that matter.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:17 am

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 18 Nov 2022 10:31 am
I know a few folk who have started out doing this and have retired in Singapore. They inevitability leave unless they have family ties. The costs are relentless and there are better locales actually.

Peter Anderson, ROV Pilot Tech did this for years in a black and white and now lives in VN.

An old British lady I met who was a former National Service Soldiers widow was here until her children convinced her to move to BNE.
I've always wanted to live in a black and white, they're beautiful. Unfortunately now all of them are either completely inaccessible or crazy expensive. A friend of mine stays in a lovely black and white but it's all the way in Changi, right next to the old hospital.