Singapore Expats

Spending majority of year in Sing as a Retired Tourist?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
hangmann

Spending majority of year in Sing as a Retired Tourist?

Post by hangmann » Sat, 06 Nov 2021 11:46 pm

Hi, I was wondering if you guys know if it's feasible to spend the majority of the year (6-8 months per year lets say) in Singapore on multiple tourist visas (stvps)?

Some background, I am an American currently working in Singapore but planning to retire soon. I was rejected for my PR application. I like living here but I really don't want to keep on working just to apply again. If I was allowed to stay roughly half the year (in 3 months increments) at a vacation condo owned by myself, this would be good enough for me and I wouldn't feel like I needed PR at all.

Given all this, I really like the idea of just using Singapore as a home base that I could live a little more than half the year. Does anybody know if this is possible or am I crazy to think this?
Last edited by hangmann on Thu, 30 Dec 2021 6:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

Wong_Jnr
Regular
Regular

Re: Spending majority of year in Sing as a Retired Tourist?

Post by Wong_Jnr » Fri, 19 Nov 2021 12:39 pm

Not an issue as a couple of friends I know have stayed years not working and just do the visa run.
They've even lasted this covid situation by just applying and getting an extension on their current STVPs.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 19 Nov 2021 3:26 pm

Not something that is feasible. Some get away with it, but just when you think they aren't looking you will get zapped. Back in the last millennium it was possible to play that game, but since 2000 it hasn't been that easy and one day when you come back in you will on be allowed one week and then banned for a minimum of 6 months. It's a dangerous game. We see too many try it over the past 17 years this board has been around and get royally burned. The only reason they are getting by with extensions of ltvps is BECAUSE of covid and the various travel restrictions. but in normal times it will only fly about two times max.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 20 Nov 2021 6:42 pm

I knew this girl from the Philippines who was working in F&B. She was telling me about how she had lost her job at some point in the early 2010s and was doing visa runs between JB and Singapore while searching. What she described was quite a traumatic experience because at some point she was on the verge of being turned back on her way in to Singapore and by her own reckoning, got in only because the ICA officer was a bit more lenient. Luckily, she did get a job a few days after that last visa run. That kind of uncertainty cannot be fun unless you are a hippy.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 1:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 19 Nov 2021 3:26 pm
Not something that is feasible. Some get away with it, but just when you think they aren't looking you will get zapped. Back in the last millennium it was possible to play that game, but since 2000 it hasn't been that easy and one day when you come back in you will on be allowed one week and then banned for a minimum of 6 months. It's a dangerous game. We see too many try it over the past 17 years this board has been around and get royally burned. The only reason they are getting by with extensions of ltvps is BECAUSE of covid and the various travel restrictions. but in normal times it will only fly about two times max.
My thoughts exactly, pretty sure it’s because of COVID that they’re allowed to stay for so long.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 1:22 am

smoulder wrote:
Sat, 20 Nov 2021 6:42 pm
I knew this girl from the Philippines who was working in F&B. She was telling me about how she had lost her job at some point in the early 2010s and was doing visa runs between JB and Singapore while searching. What she described was quite a traumatic experience because at some point she was on the verge of being turned back on her way in to Singapore and by her own reckoning, got in only because the ICA officer was a bit more lenient. Luckily, she did get a job a few days after that last visa run. That kind of uncertainty cannot be fun unless you are a hippy.
That’s so terrifying, having to bet on the officer’s leniency to enter the country would give me so much anxiety.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 26 Nov 2021 1:22 am

hangmann wrote:
Sat, 06 Nov 2021 11:46 pm
Hi, I was wondering if you guys know if it's feasible to spend the majority of the year (7-8 months per year lets say) in Singapore on multiple tourist visas?

Some background, I am an American currently working in Singapore but planning to retire soon. I was rejected for my PR application. I like living here but I really don't want to keep on working just to apply again. If I was allowed to stay something like 7-8 months total in the year (3 months at a time) at a vacation condo owned by myself, this would be good enough for me and I wouldn't feel like I needed PR at all.

Given all this, I really like the idea of just using Singapore as a home base that I could live a little more than half the year. Does anybody know if this is possible or am I crazy to think this?
When did you apply for PR? Perhaps try applying again if it was some time ago.

hangmann

Post by hangmann » Thu, 30 Dec 2021 3:04 am

Wong_Jnr wrote:
Fri, 19 Nov 2021 12:39 pm
Not an issue as a couple of friends I know have stayed years not working and just do the visa run.
They've even lasted this covid situation by just applying and getting an extension on their current STVPs.
Thanks for your reply, it's giving me hope for my idea, I have a few more questions if you don't mind. How much time do they spend in Singapore per year roughly? Do they rent/own a property here? And what country are they from?
Last edited by hangmann on Thu, 30 Dec 2021 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

hangmann

Post by hangmann » Thu, 30 Dec 2021 3:06 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 19 Nov 2021 3:26 pm
Thanks for your input. It's likely I wouldn't just do one day visa runs, I'd probably leave the country for 1-3 months at a time, do you still think its too risky given that?

hangmann

Post by hangmann » Thu, 30 Dec 2021 3:08 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 26 Nov 2021 1:22 am
hangmann wrote:
Hi, I was wondering if you guys know if it's feasible to spend the majority of the year (7-8 months per year lets say) in Singapore on multiple tourist visas?

Some background, I am an American currently working in Singapore but planning to retire soon. I was rejected for my PR application. I like living here but I really don't want to keep on working just to apply again. If I was allowed to stay something like 7-8 months total in the year (3 months at a time) at a vacation condo owned by myself, this would be good enough for me and I wouldn't feel like I needed PR at all.

I got a denial letter about 1 year ago and haven't reapplied since. I would reapply again but I'm ready to retire already, and don't really want to have to work another year just to wait on a result.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 30 Dec 2021 3:43 am

hangmann wrote:
Thu, 30 Dec 2021 3:08 am
Lisafuller wrote:
hangmann wrote:

I got a denial letter about 1 year ago and haven't reapplied since. I would reapply again but I'm ready to retire already, and don't really want to have to work another year just to wait on a result.
I see, but it may be worth the work, your alternative plan seems like far more of a hassle. Although, if you were just rejected a year ago and nothing much has changed, there may not be much sense in reapplying.

hangmann

Post by hangmann » Thu, 30 Dec 2021 6:29 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 30 Dec 2021 3:43 am
hangmann wrote:
Thu, 30 Dec 2021 3:08 am
Lisafuller wrote:

I see, but it may be worth the work, your alternative plan seems like far more of a hassle. Although, if you were just rejected a year ago and nothing much has changed, there may not be much sense in reapplying.
Yes thats a good point. But actually I would like to spend at least part of my retirement in the US and outside of Singapore as well, so I don't consider it a hassle to spend only part-time here.

hangmann

Post by hangmann » Thu, 30 Dec 2021 6:29 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 30 Dec 2021 3:43 am
Yes thats a good point. But actually I would like to spend at least part of my retirement in the US and outside of Singapore as well, so I don't consider it a hassle to spend only part-time here.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 30 Dec 2021 2:42 pm

hangmann wrote:
Thu, 30 Dec 2021 6:29 am
I think it would help if you could provide a little more context. Are there any financial and social motivations behind this? Do you already own a condo here?

What is the appeal? Most retirees would shun a high cost place like Singapore, unless they have strong social or family ties keeping them here… especially considering you can find comparable quality of life for a fraction of the cost just beyond these shores.

I think there are two models to consider:

1. Make your retirement base in Asia by acquiring a proper retiree visa - the Philippines 10 year SRRV is one such possibility for less than $2/day. And, if a Singapore lifestyle is what you seek, have a read —

https://nomadcapitalist.com/expat/like- ... ird-price/

2. Make your retirement base in the US (or even Guam) and have a more nomadic existence touring around Asia, spending up to 3 months at one shot in a given country (or up to one year in Vietnam - special for US citizens only, or up to three years in the Philippines, on tourist extensions).
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 30 Dec 2021 6:36 pm

I think Guam is a little expensive but I agree the PH makes more sense than Singapore for a retiree.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!