Singapore Expats

Dependent Pass holder working remotely in Singapore.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
powerpoint23

Dependent Pass holder working remotely in Singapore.

Post by powerpoint23 » Thu, 28 Oct 2021 8:35 am

Hey, trying to find some specifics on the rules around a Dependent Pass holder working remotely in Singapore. Have read through a lot of the detail on here though still a bit unsure on our scenario.

Context is I'll be shifting from Australia to Singapore with my work and be put on an Employment Pass, with my wife getting a Dependent Pass. She runs her own digital sole trader in Aus and understand the new laws this year mean she could not work in Singapore under a DP, but not absolutely clear if she could carry on running her business in Australia whilst living remotely in Singapore.

She would remain a tax resident in Australia and have no commercial interest in Singapore, purely working with business back home from her laptop in our condo. Does anyone have any experience around this being a black and white no, or potentially a grey area which we could entertain doing?

Ignorant1
Regular
Regular

Re: Dependent Pass holder working remotely in Singapore.

Post by Ignorant1 » Sat, 06 Nov 2021 9:29 am

powerpoint23 wrote:
Thu, 28 Oct 2021 8:35 am
Hey, trying to find some specifics on the rules around a Dependent Pass holder working remotely in Singapore. Have read through a lot of the detail on here though still a bit unsure on our scenario.

Context is I'll be shifting from Australia to Singapore with my work and be put on an Employment Pass, with my wife getting a Dependent Pass. She runs her own digital sole trader in Aus and understand the new laws this year mean she could not work in Singapore under a DP, but not absolutely clear if she could carry on running her business in Australia whilst living remotely in Singapore.

She would remain a tax resident in Australia and have no commercial interest in Singapore, purely working with business back home from her laptop in our condo. Does anyone have any experience around this being a black and white no, or potentially a grey area which we could entertain doing?
This should be okay . I had a friend who was working for offshore drilling company and was on ltvp in Singapore ( married to Singaporean ) . The company had no business interests in Singapore . He could go about his work and dint have to pay taxes here .

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Dependent Pass holder working remotely in Singapore.

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 06 Nov 2021 10:34 am

1. Why remain tax resident in Australia? She can easily satisfy the requirements to be none tax resident.

2. All income derived in Singapore is subject to income tax in Singapore. Because the work is performed here I believe she will technically be subject to tax. We have had many discussions about this on the forum so have a look around.

I think you know what to do.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!