Singapore Expats

SC Approval Likelihood

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
dan91

SC Approval Likelihood

Post by dan91 » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 2:11 pm

Hi all.

I'm planning to apply for citizenship in July 2022 upon fulfilling the 2-year requirement as a PR. Below are my background details:
  • Citizenship: Malaysian
  • Race: Chinese
  • Marital status: single
  • Highest education: bachelor's degree in engineering from Malaysia's top public uni
  • Employment sector: professional services in corporate finance at a big 4 (same company since moving here)
  • Salary: S$6.3k/month basic (excluding CPF contribution)
  • Experience in SG: EP since Mar 2019 and PR since July 2020
  • Family background: retired parents living in Malaysia, a younger sister who's also a PR living here since end-2019 (she also intends to apply for citizenship upon fulfilling the 2-year requirement in July 2022), and some relatives who are also PR living here
Seeking advice/insights to the following:
1. What is the success likelihood of my citizenship application based on my background? Has anyone of similar background succeeded?
2. Thinking of switching to a higher-paying job to increase my chance. Is my salary of concern and what is a safer salary range? Does switching jobs now affect my chance?
3. I'm thinking of taking some time away travelling overseas, let's say 1 year away, after submitting my application. How would it affect my chances?

Your input is much appreciated.
Last edited by dan91 on Sat, 25 Jun 2022 8:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: SC Approval Likelihood

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 8:00 pm

You should be okay, but if you change jobs AND it for a better salary and/or promotion but at least the same salary, then your chances are better. If you do, be sure to let ICA know as soon as you receive your first 'full' paycheck and submit that and letter of employment to ICA for their perusal. I don't think an overseas trip for an extended period of time is a good idea. You could get caught due to covid lockdowns and/or if contacted by the ICA you might not be able to return in a timely manner. But, let your conscience be your guide.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dan91

Post by dan91 » Wed, 27 Oct 2021 10:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 26 Oct 2021 8:00 pm
You should be okay, but if you change jobs AND it for a better salary and/or promotion but at least the same salary, then your chances are better. If you do, be sure to let ICA know as soon as you receive your first 'full' paycheck and submit that and letter of employment to ICA for their perusal. I don't think an overseas trip for an extended period of time is a good idea. You could get caught due to covid lockdowns and/or if contacted by the ICA you might not be able to return in a timely manner. But, let your conscience be your guide.
Hi sundaymorningstaple, thanks for your input.

With regards to the spending a year away travelling (and might not be under any employment during period) after submitting my application, apart from Covid and returning in a timely manner, could there be any other concern during the typical processing time of 6-12 months up until IPA, e.g. would ICA seek my proof of employment/payslips for that period of time? I'm asking this because i was required to submit a certification of employment when i was granted the PR in-principle approval (IPA).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Nov 2021 6:33 pm

Applying for SGC is a bit different than applying for PR. Yes, they probably will required certification of employment. After all, your previous certificate was to gain PR not SGC. Two or more years will have passed so yes there is that possibility. I close with the same two sentences as my previous reply.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 07 Nov 2021 7:04 pm

My wife was working when she applied for citizenship and she quit before we got to know the outcome. Her citizenship was approved just a days after her last working day. So when she completed her citizenship journey, she was without a job.

Not sure if this answers your question.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Nov 2021 4:40 pm

Yeah, smoulder, but her CPF contributions were up to day so there wouldn't have really been a discernible gap it it was only a matter of days or even a week or two. Remember, they can check with the CPF board as well as a matter of course. CPF doesn't go into the system until 2 weeks after the close of the pay period. If they check and don't see any CPF contributions for a number of months and you are the main applicant, I think it might be a different story.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 08 Nov 2021 6:08 pm

Mon, 08 Nov 2021 4:40 pm
Yeah, smoulder, but her CPF contributions were up to day so there wouldn't have really been a discernible gap it it was only a matter of days or even a week or two. Remember, they can check with the CPF board as well as a matter of course. CPF doesn't go into the system until 2 weeks after the close of the pay period. If they check and don't see any CPF contributions for a number of months and you are the main applicant, I think it might be a different story.
Yes that's true. I kind of assumed that he's planning to travel a bit after his application is approved.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Nov 2021 6:14 pm

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 08 Nov 2021 6:08 pm
Mon, 08 Nov 2021 4:40 pm
Yes that's true. I kind of assumed that he's planning to travel a bit after his application is approved.
I get the impression he wants to take a year off after submission. not approval.
3. I'm thinking of taking some time away travelling overseas, let's say 1 year away, after submitting my application.

dan91

Post by dan91 » Tue, 09 Nov 2021 10:32 am

Appreciate your inputs sundaymorningstaple and smoulder.

Some follow-up questions that I have:

1. What if, during the application processing period, I work outside of SG under the employment of a SG-based company (note: its remote work arrangement not business travel) for a period of say 3-6 months in a year. I supposed this is considered a temporary absence and I think i'm still considered a SG tax resident under such circumstances. Does this negatively affect my chance at all?

2. I noted from this forum it seems like the application processing time is generally 6-24 months. Is there any anecdotal evidence to gauge a more specific timeframe for my profile/background?

Thanks

dan91

Post by dan91 » Sat, 25 Jun 2022 8:04 pm

I've yet to come across or read about anyone getting their citizenship with similar profile especially those that apply right after being a PR for just 2 years. Those that got it are always those that have resided here for many many years. So I still wonder what are my chances (eventho i'm the so-called 'preferred nationality/race').

Also, is S$6.3k/month salary considered too low for my age?

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 25 Jun 2022 8:54 pm

dan91 wrote:
Tue, 09 Nov 2021 10:32 am

1. What if, during the application processing period, I work outside of SG under the employment of a SG-based company (note: its remote work arrangement not business travel) for a period of say 3-6 months in a year. I supposed this is considered a temporary absence and I think i'm still considered a SG tax resident under such circumstances. Does this negatively affect my chance at all?

2. I noted from this forum it seems like the application processing time is generally 6-24 months. Is there any anecdotal evidence to gauge a more specific timeframe for my profile/background?

Thanks
For #1, are you receiving CPF contributions? Are you paying tax on the income that you are earning while you live outside Singapore? I believe that if you answer yes to these questions, you should be alright.

dan91

Post by dan91 » Sun, 26 Jun 2022 12:08 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sat, 25 Jun 2022 8:54 pm
dan91 wrote:

Thanks
For #1, are you receiving CPF contributions? Are you paying tax on the income that you are earning while you live outside Singapore? I believe that if you answer yes to these questions, you should be alright.
Thanks smoulder. Have u ever came across somebody of my background (single and resided here not long about ~3 years) and got their citizenship in recent years?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Jun 2022 1:44 am

dan91 wrote:
Sat, 25 Jun 2022 8:04 pm
I've yet to come across or read about anyone getting their citizenship with similar profile especially those that apply right after being a PR for just 2 years. Those that got it are always those that have resided here for many many years. So I still wonder what are my chances (eventho i'm the so-called 'preferred nationality/race').

Also, is S$6.3k/month salary considered too low for my age?
Your salary is fine, though it is not on the high end it is certainly not low.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Jun 2022 1:45 am

smoulder wrote:
dan91 wrote:

Thanks
Great point, the government at the very end of the day is very money faced, if you are paying your dues you should be fine.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Jun 2022 2:08 am

dan91 wrote:
Sun, 26 Jun 2022 12:08 pm
smoulder wrote:
dan91 wrote:

Thanks
Thanks smoulder. Have u ever came across somebody of my background (single and resided here not long about ~3 years) and got their citizenship in recent years?
Let’s put it this way - it’s all a game of numbers so while statistics can be helpful they are by no means a rule. Each applicant is different and with the number of PR and citizenship applications that get approved every single year there’s bound to have been someone who was single and only lived here for a relatively short period of time so yes or no to your question would not be very helpful to you at all.