Singapore Expats

Looking for Affordable Places to Shop

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
CricketR

Looking for Affordable Places to Shop

Post by CricketR » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 11:37 am

I'm new in Singapore. I come from a third-world country (the Philippines) and I'm just so surprised at how expensive everything is!

First of all, I don't know where I can shop for gadgets. I work in a corporate setting & it's so hard to keep up with the clients I meet with the salary I have. Unfortunately, I think I am being underpaid since I am an expat from the PH and my rent is pretty expensive too.

If you guys have any suggestions on where to eat out & shop for gadgets & accessories affordably, I'm all ears!

And it's so crazy, I just saw this article saying that Singapore is way, way ahead of its other neighboring countries in terms of cost of living (132% higher than others!). I thought that when I moved here, I'd have an easier time with my salary, but I feel like I'm just making ends meet with me sending my money back to the family and coping with the expensive cost of living.

Does anyone struggle financially as well?

Here's the article if you don't believe me:
{deleted by moderator]

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Looking for Affordable Places to Shop

Post by malcontent » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 5:27 pm

I just made a comment on another thread that Singapore is a place to make money, not spend money. I’ve lost the desire for many material things since I got here. You would be wise to do the same.

How do you avoid spending? First, forget about gadgets. Second, start shopping at places like Mustafa and Value$ for your essentials. Third, find an apartment you can share with others. You can get your expenses under $1000/mo if you are single with no kids and really put your mind to it. Live a simple life, focus on career, saving & investing, once you have S$500k and invest it appropriately, you’ll have enough to retire for the rest of your life in the PH.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 8:07 pm

The only thing the Poster is being honest about is the fact that she says she is from the 'peens. That is true, the rest is not as she is still in the 'peens using a 'peens ISP. Additionally, based on her email address, the link is/was one of her own.......

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 26 Oct 2021 9:28 pm

I suspected as much, but the question was valid and so I responded for the benefit of anyone here who might actually be in this situation.

What I describe is drawn from my own experience. Been there, done that!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Oct 2021 1:34 pm

Mal, that is exactly why the thread stayed, but the email disappeared. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 16 Nov 2021 11:32 am

robertcollins446 wrote:
Mon, 15 Nov 2021 9:28 pm
Quite helpful thread for me.
How so?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Nov 2021 3:14 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 16 Nov 2021 11:32 am
robertcollins446 wrote:
How so?
Mal, he's gone, as are all four of his posts. Oddly enough, he comes from your neck of the woods in the US. Or at least the ISP he's using is.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 17 Nov 2021 12:35 am

Maybe he thought this forum is from Singapore, Michigan

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Wed, 17 Nov 2021 2:14 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 16 Nov 2021 3:14 pm
malcontent wrote:
Tue, 16 Nov 2021 11:32 am
robertcollins446 wrote:
How so?
Mal, he's gone, as are all four of his posts. Oddly enough, he comes from your neck of the woods in the US. Or at least the ISP he's using is.
Indeed. "Robert Collins 446" sets off my spidey sense that we have a spammer. It's just "that kind of name".