Singapore Expats Forum

Greece, Anyone?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Strong Eagle

Greece, Anyone?

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 30 Mar 2005 4:59 pm

I'm getting ready to go meet my wife in Greece soon.

Is there anyone from there, or who is familiar with Greece that would be willing to help me establish an intineray for a 10 day vacation? I'd really like to avoid the tour buses, and instead, find some place to ride motorcycles, perhaps catch a sailboat to the island(s). Of course, seeing the antiquities in Athens is a must... other than that, I'm a country and small town person.

Thanks.

Re: Greece, Anyone?

Postby Guest » Wed, 30 Mar 2005 7:14 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I'm getting ready to go meet my wife in Greece soon.

Is there anyone from there, or who is familiar with Greece that would be willing to help me establish an intineray for a 10 day vacation? I'd really like to avoid the tour buses, and instead, find some place to ride motorcycles, perhaps catch a sailboat to the island(s). Of course, seeing the antiquities in Athens is a must... other than that, I'm a country and small town person.

Thanks.

Is she Greek :?: :)

Strong Eagle

Re: Greece, Anyone?

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 30 Mar 2005 9:13 pm

Anonymous wrote:Is she Greek :?: :)

Texan... but she might do greek!

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:32 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Tue, 23 May 2006 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:48 am

Eric,

Thanks for the excellent information. Helps me map out a starting itinerary.

May I ask a couple of more questions? Is there anything like a small tour (a minvan with maybe 4 to 6 people total) to visit the various ruins around Athens. We toured with a small group in South Africa and in Vietnam (on motorcycles), and it was great. We had a knowledgable guide and having dinner with a small group everynight made for good friendships. Also, would you have recommendations for motorcycle rentals?

Lived there 2 years

Postby Lived there 2 years » Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:30 am

Hi there! I lived 2 years in Greece and Eric's explanation is pretty good! :)
If you stay there 10 days, you definitely have to focus on Peloponese (Nafplio is beautiful), Olympia, etc... rent a car in Athens (avis, hertz), it's pretty cheap.

If you do not like too big cities, don't stay too long in Athens... Athens is a great town, especially now with the new metro (built for the Olympic games). Travel with metro and cab but NEVER with a rental car or with motorbike.
Athens is crowded, very busy, impossible to walk on sidewalks, very very noizy and polluted! a lot!!! so there, visit the typical things like the Acropolis, the National Museum, Lycabetus hill, and if you have some time, go to Cap Sunio! It definitely worth it! 1hour from Athens with bus. It's the temple of Posseidon and it's just magic there! temple on the sea! just great!

In Athens, avoid tavernas (typical greek restaurant) in Plaka... they just cheat on tourists!
Greeks are very friendly but if they see you are a tourist and it's your first time in greece, they will try to cheat on your for everything... be aware with taxi drivers as well... have a look on the meter!
When you hire a cab, shout from the street... the driver won't stop to know where you want to go... sometime you will make the drive with 2 other people you don't know and who go to the same part of the city!!! be aware that you won't be able to share the drive with the others! you will have to pay your own drive, the other passengers as well! ;)

This is greece :) Chaos but great :)

If you have some time, after Athens and Peloponese, go to the islands (Cyclades are the closest ones). Santorini is pretty far (1 night by boat), but the journey by boat is simply great, especially the arrival there, in the volacano! Something you don't see by plane.
Paros and Naxos are great islands, and there, easy to rent a motorbike!

I would say that in 10 days, if you really want to see something and to enjoy greece, greek food, culture, etc... the visit of Athens and Peloponese is enough! Islands take another 2 week vacation ;)

Enjoy there!!! you will love it :)

JASSAS!

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 31 Mar 2005 2:14 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Tue, 23 May 2006 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:39 pm

To lived there for two years....your information is wrong in regards to the time it takes to get to Santorini! You said it takes one night by boat?? Yeah, maybe if you take a rowboat! High speed ferry there only takes about 6 hours. The slower one takes about 8 hours. Yes, a long time but certainly not a whole day! Or you can fly there which takes about one hour or so. Took a trip there recently and Santorini was the highlight of my trip! Loved it there and didn't want to leave.