Singapore Expats

Need help to assess PR application profile

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
pixelneo89

Need help to assess PR application profile

Post by pixelneo89 » Tue, 19 Oct 2021 3:45 pm

Hi All ,

would like to ask if anyone could assess my wife PR application the chances to be approve.
and also would like to know when can we Re-apply for PR

Wife
- been in singapore for 5 years working as S pass holder
- Salary 2.8k Sgd
- married for 1 year plus
- failed PR application back in June 2021
- LTVP approved on OCT 2021
job industry : FNB

Husband - Sponsor
- Citizen of SG
- Salary - 3.1k Sgd
- job - Engineering

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Need help to assess PR application profile

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Oct 2021 7:12 pm

Not likely to be successful. In order to act as a sponsor your income is a bit on the light side. From when we have gathered, the minimum income per month a sponsor should be earning is on the north side of $4K/mo. This being what ICA feels it would take to support two people on a single income. The fact that she is working cannot be considered for the simple reason if she quits work then it up to you and government isn't going to be giving handouts. Additionally, should she get pregnant, then you are really up against the wall. I'd say you chances are about zero.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Wed, 20 Oct 2021 10:51 am

With respect to this point…

Would it mean that if I am working and my wife elects to be a stay-at-home mum until our child starts school - that it’ll cause me a problem down the line because they won’t approve a visa based on the non-sponsor’s employment situation?

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 20 Oct 2021 3:43 pm

Sunjackal wrote:
Wed, 20 Oct 2021 10:51 am
Would it mean that if I am working and my wife elects to be a stay-at-home mum until our child starts school - that it’ll cause me a problem down the line because they won’t approve a visa based on the non-sponsor’s employment situation?
Depends what scheme you applied on. Is it family ties scheme or PTS (professional, technical personnel, skilled worker) scheme?

If via family ties scheme aka the Singaporean spouse is the sponsor, then obviously the sponsor should be working isn’t it? To prove that they can provide for the family.

Anyway, pixelneo did not mention he following:
- Age of himself and wife
- His race
- Any criminal records for both parties
- Housing

And pixelneo applied too soon after marriage so ICA might see it as a marriage of convenience. Better wait 2-3 years to show ICA that the marriage is stable and also take these few years to get promotion/better pay.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Oct 2021 4:16 pm

Sunjackal wrote:

No, you would be okay. It's the entry to PR that is the 'key'. So, if you come in on FT she is the sponsor and has to be able to support the spouse if spouse is not working. After PR is gained, FT PR is working, no issue if SGC spouse isn't. It's the initial entry qualifications. Nobody expects that to remain consistent, not even ICA. Especially in the case of the anchor spouse being female.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Thu, 21 Oct 2021 6:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 20 Oct 2021 4:16 pm
Sunjackal wrote:

No, you would be okay. It's the entry to PR that is the 'key'. So, if you come in on FT she is the sponsor and has to be able to support the spouse if spouse is not working. After PR is gained, FT PR is working, no issue if SGC spouse isn't. It's the initial entry qualifications. Nobody expects that to remain consistent, not even ICA. Especially in the case of the anchor spouse being female.
I don’t have PR yet though, I’m on a LTVP. She isn’t working at this stage - she’s taking care of our son whilst I will be the one to work. That was something we wanted to happen.

I’m just wondering if it’ll go against my pending PR application.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Oct 2021 7:46 pm

If both are not working in Singapore, then it would be pretty difficult for ICA to grant even an LTVP (renewal). In theory, it can't happen without without a valid sponsor (if it's a Family Ties application). However, if you have a job paying a sufficient amount even on a LoC, It might be possible, but it's going to be like a salmon swimming upstream to spawn. I'll be honest, I'd like the know the results of that. If you are still working like you claimed when you first joined here, I can't see it being successful. One of you needs to be able to prove the ability to provide support. If it a PTS scheme application for PR then you need to be able to prove you have then monthly income to qualify. If it's a Family Ties application then she has to be able to justify the means to provide support as the anchor sponsor.

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:17 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 21 Oct 2021 7:46 pm
If both are not working in Singapore, then it would be pretty difficult for ICA to grant even an LTVP (renewal). In theory, it can't happen without without a valid sponsor (if it's a Family Ties application). However, if you have a job paying a sufficient amount even on a LoC, It might be possible, but it's going to be like a salmon swimming upstream to spawn. I'll be honest, I'd like the know the results of that. If you are still working like you claimed when you first joined here, I can't see it being successful. One of you needs to be able to prove the ability to provide support. If it a PTS scheme application for PR then you need to be able to prove you have then monthly income to qualify. If it's a Family Ties application then she has to be able to justify the means to provide support as the anchor sponsor.
It’s an interesting situation for me, to be honest.

So, as I am sure you are already aware:

I am British (Caucasian). My wife (Singaporean Chinese) and son (Eurasian) are SC’s. I was granted my LTVP in September and it’s valid for 1 year. I have a pending PR application live too, since March.

I am about to start a job with a MNC in Singapore. My wife wants to raise the baby until he’s old enough to go to school. Having spent so many years outside of Singapore, she doesn’t like the idea of leaving him in a nursery for 12 hours a day. My salary is $144K. We own our HDB without any debt etc. We are comfortable enough to do this, we feel.

Our plan is to manually top up her CPF each month, but beyond that, it’ll be me that is supporting the family. I am hoping that given our particular family dynamics, they’ll recognise that I am the one supporting the family and they won’t deprive me of the ability to work and then put two of their citizens into financial hardship by doing so.

The LTVP was granted despite the fact that I was the one working when we were abroad, so I suppose I’m hoping that they’ll follow the same principle they applied to our case last time.

Ideally - they’ll support my application for PR and it makes my employment more secure and also allows me to support the family without the burden of having to worry about renewals - but nothing is ever simple or clear with the ICA. Or, rather, it’s very clear and doesn’t leave a lot of room for those that fall outside of the lines.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:53 am

Sunjackal wrote:

Don't know if this helps..... My wife (SC - Chinese, I'm from India) quit her job before I had applied for PR in 2019 under the PTS scheme. My application was approved in less than 6 months. My wife wasn't working at the time of approval.

Every case will be different though.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 Oct 2021 11:41 am

Smoulder, PR PTS application doesn't care if you are married to SGC or Nairobian. That's why is called the Professional Technical Scheme and not Family Ties. Obviously IF you have family ties, it would also be taken into consideration, but it's not a key factor like Family Ties where the SGC has to be the sponsor. PTS, the applicant is self-sponsored so must have job.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Sat, 23 Oct 2021 11:47 am

^ That’s why I asked Sunjackal whether he applied for PR via PTS or family ties scheme and he still has not given a response.

If PTS, chances seem okay. If family ties and wife aka the sponsor is not working, that’s a huge question mark.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 Oct 2021 11:59 am

In Sunjackal's case, he was already granted LTVP while still in the UK. We had another like this on the board many years ago except he was granted PR whilst still in the UK. Also from the UK and married but with no kids in the UK (wife gave birth to twins after firmly entrenched back in SG. Search for "Saint" (his nick. and possibly the Juban Stand which he opened down on Boat Quay and we spent a fair number of group gatherings there while it was still open.

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:05 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Sat, 23 Oct 2021 11:47 am
^ That’s why I asked Sunjackal whether he applied for PR via PTS or family ties scheme and he still has not given a response.

If PTS, chances seem okay. If family ties and wife aka the sponsor is not working, that’s a huge question mark.
I applied from overseas before I came here. Family ties. I thought it was obvious that it was FT because of my concern with her being the main sponsor and not working. The other scheme has nothing to do with my spouse. Sorry for the confusion.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:08 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Sat, 23 Oct 2021 11:47 am

Precisely the reason why I didn't apply via family ties even though it was technically an option. Because my wife wasn't working at the time.

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:16 pm

When I applied for PR, I was in the UK. At the time of making the application, FT was the only available route that I had.

It’s a bit different now, in that I am in SG and I’ve just managed to secure employment. But the original PR application is still pending.

It was the LTVP that I was granted once I arrived. Same principle applies though - my spouse hasn’t worked since giving birth in August 2020 and they granted me the LTVP despite the “lack of income support” from an employment perspective. I was hoping that the fact that I’ve now been employed on top of this would simply be a plus.

We own our property outright so we don’t have a lot of overheads besides living expenses, to be honest.