Singapore Expats

Advice on SC application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
laughingLlama0207

Advice on SC application

Post by laughingLlama0207 » Mon, 11 Oct 2021 5:24 pm

Hello, I am in the last year of my PhD at NUS. I did all of my education (PSLE, O level, polytechnic, and Bachelor's degree) in Singapore. Given my situation, I decided to apply for SC back in Oct 2020 under the student scheme. However, considering the pace at which the application process is going, I am not confident I will get a reply from ICA before I complete my PhD sometime between Dec 2021 and Jan 2022. I have already secured a job in a government agency and am due to start in Feb 2022. Firstly, I am wondering what are my chances of getting SC? This is the second time that I applied. The first application was submitted under the economic scheme. I worked for a few years following my degree and decided to apply. However, by the time ICA called me up for document submission I had stopped working and started my PhD, so naturally my application was rejected. Secondly, should I withdraw my current application and reapply under the economic scheme?

Profile:
35 yr old female, not married
Nationality - Indonesian
Race - Chinese
Length of stay in Singapore - since 1996; SPR since 2010

I should also mention my race was initially stated as "Indonesian" on my SPR due to a clerical oversight when applied back in 2010. I requested to change my race to "Chinese" in Nov 2021 after I applied for SC, since Chinese seems to be the preferred race. My request was accepted since I am ethnically Chinese. However, now I am wondering if this could be perceived as a negative point by ICA?

Thank you in advance for your kind replies :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Advice on SC application

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Oct 2021 4:59 pm

Probably a done deal. You just need to have patience. Patience is a virtue. No way being ethnically chinese and able to prove it and accepted considered a negative. However, all normal timelines for both PR & SGC are all out of whack due to covid and short staffing/WFH & back and forth. At this point in time asking how long is like asking how long is a piece of string.

Just hang in there.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 12 Oct 2021 11:04 pm

laughingLlama0207 wrote:
Mon, 11 Oct 2021 5:24 pm
Hello, I am in the last year of my PhD at NUS. I did all of my education (PSLE, O level, polytechnic, and Bachelor's degree) in Singapore. Given my situation, I decided to apply for SC back in Oct 2020 under the student scheme. However, considering the pace at which the application process is going, I am not confident I will get a reply from ICA before I complete my PhD sometime between Dec 2021 and Jan 2022. I have already secured a job in a government agency and am due to start in Feb 2022. Firstly, I am wondering what are my chances of getting SC? This is the second time that I applied. The first application was submitted under the economic scheme. I worked for a few years following my degree and decided to apply. However, by the time ICA called me up for document submission I had stopped working and started my PhD, so naturally my application was rejected. Secondly, should I withdraw my current application and reapply under the economic scheme?

Profile:
35 yr old female, not married
Nationality - Indonesian
Race - Chinese
Length of stay in Singapore - since 1996; SPR since 2010

I should also mention my race was initially stated as "Indonesian" on my SPR due to a clerical oversight when applied back in 2010. I requested to change my race to "Chinese" in Nov 2021 after I applied for SC, since Chinese seems to be the preferred race. My request was accepted since I am ethnically Chinese. However, now I am wondering if this could be perceived as a negative point by ICA?

Thank you in advance for your kind replies :)
Fair chance now. If rejected now, work for 2 years and reapply and you will surely get it. Whats the rush now to get it before you complete your PHD and start work? How will it make a difference?

laughingLlama0207

Post by laughingLlama0207 » Wed, 13 Oct 2021 5:05 pm

It doesn't make much of a difference. I am just concern about the age factor. I don't know if being 35 yrs old unmarried female with no children will affect my chance. If this gets rejected and I have to re-apply in a couple of years, I will be closer to 40 yrs old. I have heard this might not be view on favourably by ICA.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Oct 2021 11:14 pm

She does have a valid point as after the age of 38 if a woman has never had a pregnancy, she is considered a high risk for pregnancy with the possibility of a Downs Syndrome child is several magnitudes higher (this is only a factor if it is an initial first pregnancy. Subsequent pregnancies are not really a problem, generally speaking). Her biggest problem is ICA trying to figure out if she is prone to being a spinster. If they think that, her odds will decrease dramatically as she realistically has nothing to offer the country. I know this sounds cruel, but it is what it is and I'm sure she is already aware of it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers