Singapore Expats

Singapore Citizenship rejection

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
dodococo

Singapore Citizenship rejection

Post by dodococo » Fri, 08 Oct 2021 3:15 pm

Hi all, I just received my rejection to my SC application. A little sad but at least I got my answer. I applied in December 2019 received today 8 Oct 2021.

As I'm a working adult (3k/mth) and intending to study for masters in the future, I'm wondering if I should appeal my rejection, if/when I get a better job/salary increment or reapply after 2 years of working in a new job.

If I choose to appeal my rejection, is there a deadline before I need to appeal? How much increment is enough?

Is it better to get a better job, work 2 years then reapply? Please let me know your thoughts. Anything about integrating as well.

Some details below:
Born in SG to filipino parents
Single, 25 y/o
Graduated from overseas uni (architecture)
3k/mth salary

If there are any details needed please let me know. Thank you

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: Singapore Citizenship rejection

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 08 Oct 2021 6:16 pm

dodococo wrote:
Fri, 08 Oct 2021 3:15 pm
Hi all, I just received my rejection to my SC application. A little sad but at least I got my answer. I applied in December 2019 received today 8 Oct 2021.

As I'm a working adult (3k/mth) and intending to study for masters in the future, I'm wondering if I should appeal my rejection, if/when I get a better job/salary increment or reapply after 2 years of working in a new job.

If I choose to appeal my rejection, is there a deadline before I need to appeal? How much increment is enough?

Is it better to get a better job, work 2 years then reapply? Please let me know your thoughts. Anything about integrating as well.

Some details below:
Single, 25 y/o
3k/mth salary

Improve education, salary and career and reapply after 2 years.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 09 Oct 2021 3:20 pm

Also make a plan B as a backup.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dodococo

Post by dodococo » Wed, 13 Oct 2021 5:42 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Fri, 08 Oct 2021 6:16 pm
dodococo wrote:

Some details below:
Single, 25 y/o
3k/mth salary

I see. Thanks. Can I clarify if you mean improve education, salary & career in 2 years or hold a job for 2 years?

dodococo

Post by dodococo » Wed, 13 Oct 2021 5:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 09 Oct 2021 3:20 pm
Also make a plan B as a backup.
Hello SMS, thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what you mean by a plan B, can you elaborate?

dodococo

Post by dodococo » Wed, 13 Oct 2021 6:24 pm

If I seem dense, please pardon me. I mentioned I was a little sad but it has been tough navigating my emotions regarding the rejection. :cry: I understand that there will always be another chance to try again and I'm keeping my head up as best as I can. Thank you for your patience and for taking your time to read my posts.

sonnabend

Post by sonnabend » Wed, 13 Oct 2021 7:37 pm

What he meant by Plan B is to have a backup plan in case you'll never get the citizenship. For example, migrate to another countries

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 13 Oct 2021 9:33 pm

dodococo wrote:
Wed, 13 Oct 2021 5:42 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
dodococo wrote:

Some details below:
Single, 25 y/o
3k/mth salary

I see. Thanks. Can I clarify if you mean improve education, salary & career in 2 years or hold a job for 2 years?
Better if at-least career and salary improves in 2 years and then you reapply

dodococo

Post by dodococo » Sun, 14 Aug 2022 9:26 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 13 Oct 2021 9:33 pm
dodococo wrote:
Wed, 13 Oct 2021 5:42 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:

Better if at-least career and salary improves in 2 years and then you reapply
Hi singaporeflyer & SMS, thanks for the reply. Looking back on my previous posts, I was emotional and understandably devastated. I'm now at a better place mentally with a better job.

No plan B as I was born and raised here in SG, and spent my life growing up here. I don't feel any ties to the Philippines. I'm here for the people I met and the friends I made.

Question, is the chances for getting SGC for me higher when both my brothers (28 and 22) are SGC? My little brother just got his SC acceptance after 6 months. Elder brother got his as soon as he finished NS (Applied for SC during NS). They are both working in engineering/manufacturing. Whole family is here. Will submit an application in 2 years as per your advice and when I grow in my new job. Thanks.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 10:41 am

3k is poverty level. Try later again. What is your occupation though?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

shiracha

Post by shiracha » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:08 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 15 Aug 2022 10:41 am
Not sure if the OP is still in the same industry, but 3k for a fresh grad in architecture industry in pretty the standard and it doesnt increase exponentially over time like other industries. Thanks for pointing out that those from the architecture industry are living in poverty.

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:19 pm

shiracha wrote:
Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:08 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Not sure if the OP is still in the same industry, but 3k for a fresh grad in architecture industry in pretty the standard and it doesnt increase exponentially over time like other industries. Thanks for pointing out that those in architure industry are living in poverty.
be that as it may, but it is what it is. 3k IS low. I was also earning 3k as a fresh grad and I tried to apply for citizenship. Back then you would apply it in person at ICA and the officer didn't even accept my application as he said my salary was too low.

If you look at the stats, the % citizenships per year given to the age group of 21-30 is only 15% and I suspect part of it has to do with the fact that young workers just haven't proven themselves in their careers.
t doesnt increase exponentially over time like other industries. Thanks for pointing out that those in architure industry are living in poverty.
Yeah, and ICA sadly doesn't care if an occupation, especially one not in demand, doesn't pay as well throughout the years.

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by NYY1 » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 1:14 pm

mystic_river wrote:
Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:19 pm
If you look at the stats, the % citizenships per year given to the age group of 21-30 is only 15% and I suspect part of it has to do with the fact that young workers just haven't proven themselves in their careers.
Or that this age group often does not have kids yet. The median age of a first time mother is ~31 years old.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 19 Aug 2022 12:22 am

PNGMK wrote:
LOLed at this. So blunt, PNGMK! But not wrong.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 19 Aug 2022 12:23 am

mystic_river wrote:
Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:19 pm
shiracha wrote:
Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:08 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Not sure if the OP is still in the same industry, but 3k for a fresh grad in architecture industry in pretty the standard and it doesnt increase exponentially over time like other industries. Thanks for pointing out that those in architure industry are living in poverty.
be that as it may, but it is what it is. 3k IS low. I was also earning 3k as a fresh grad and I tried to apply for citizenship. Back then you would apply it in person at ICA and the officer didn't even accept my application as he said my salary was too low.

t doesnt increase exponentially over time like other industries. Thanks for pointing out that those in architure industry are living in poverty.
Yeah, and ICA sadly doesn't care if an occupation, especially one not in demand, doesn't pay as well throughout the years.
You’re right, it’s difficult to establish yourself careerwise so early on. Oftentimes, it would take at least a couple years to be earning a respectable salary and get a title bump.