Singapore Expats

Tech job opportunity for a seasoned female engineer relocated from US

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
anneyu2021

Tech job opportunity for a seasoned female engineer relocated from US

Post by anneyu2021 » Fri, 08 Oct 2021 7:39 am

Hi,

I am relocating from US to Singapore next Jan 2022. I have been working as a software engineer in the tech companies for over 15 years. I am planning to find a local tech job. Any suggestions? For example, American company's branches vs. local companies, researcher in the college vs. industry knowledge worker, startup vs. public company.

I am not familiar with the local working environment :???: , culture, ethical standard :shock: and especially concerned about gender equality or true inclusiveness for different origins. I am also a working mom with 2 daughters (7 and 3), so work-life balance is very critical to help kids adapt to a different place. So the options could be many or few ](*,) .

Any suggestions are welcome! :D

Wong_Jnr
Regular
Regular

Re: Tech job opportunity for a seasoned female engineer relocated from US

Post by Wong_Jnr » Fri, 08 Oct 2021 10:42 am

You do realise that you can't just relocate here without the necessary work permit or residency status.
Do some research first into that and then see if it's still plausible.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 08 Oct 2021 11:39 am

I'm assuming that you are moving with your husband? Like Wong said, you can't just relocate here.

anneyu2021

Post by anneyu2021 » Sat, 09 Oct 2021 1:11 am

Perhaps I assumed we all know the working visa requirement is not just a regional policy from Singapore, instead it is a generic requirement from most countries, including US. You can not just relocate to the US and work as you want. There is a very competitive and complicated process to get visa, sponsorship from either your employers or from your families etc. It is another and long discussion topic. Instead for this thread I want to get some sincere suggestions regarding the work itself.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 09 Oct 2021 2:19 am

So the visa situation is an important factor and not something that you should be assuming will just fall into place.

There are certain things that are a bit more unique to this country - including the fact that it is tiny (fewer tech jobs) and a pretty expensive place to hire people. And there's growing discontent against foreigners which manifests itself in the visa policy (this part is a bit more generic and not too unique to the country) - companies have to jump through hoops to hire foreigners.

So to begin with you are going to be here on a dependent pass off your husband's employment pass. I'm being presumptuous of course, primarily because you skirted the question about your visa status. I believe that the current rule involves you having to get your own employment pass in order to be employed. Like I said, it's not the easiest thing at the moment - many companies are going to flat out refuse to interview you for this reason. Which means that you will be lucky to get a job soon after you land here and more likely you will have to wait - the more picky you are, the longer the wait.

About the work culture itself - you are probably going to be better off in a big tech company. They are more likely to hire foreigners and the culture will probably be more flexible /familiar.