Singapore Expats Forum

How to pick a  good maid?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

selective

Postby selective » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 8:39 pm

I need to employ a maid soon. I need the maid to help out with housework in the daytime at my MIL's place. My MIL will be helping me to take care of my baby, who is due in early Sept.

Can someone pls advise me how to go about choosing a reliable maid? Need as much advise as possible, I don't want to leave it to my luck.

lowlife

Postby lowlife » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 8:57 pm

Pick someone who has worked for a previous employer for a few years, perhaps a min. of 4 years. Such maids are probably more sought after, as they have worked and renewed their contracts twice.

Never accept a transferred maid as they seemingly have some 'problems' that is why their employers give them up.

Another good way is to contact the pervious employer to probe on the maid's work performance etc.

It's really difficult to select the right maid, they all look the same...and their CVs always sound the same..

Luck of the draw

Postby Luck of the draw » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 8:43 pm

It basically comes down to the luck of the draw. But having said that, one does as much as possible to deal with the downside risks of being dealt a bad hand eg checking their CVs more closely :D

selective

Postby selective » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 8:48 pm

It's really a nightmare, going to have my child soon, and I read about reports about maid's abusing babies. Or should I get a day time baby sitter? :O

Do it yourself

Postby Do it yourself » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 9:00 pm

If you are having your baby soon, it will be highly advisable that you do not let the maid handle him/her. You should either have a relative, hubby to help out or handle the child yourself. Leaving it into the hands of the maid is too big a risk to take. The maid can help out with the household chores to lighten the weight there. But the baby is too precious a bundle for the maid to handle :;):