Singapore Expats

Lunch box recommendations

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Lunch box recommendations

Post by abbby » Wed, 06 Oct 2021 6:33 pm

I need to buy a nice lunch box that's functional, keeps food tight and fresh, doesn't leak and not too big..are there any you can recommend? Been on amazon and shopee but have not found any suitable..
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Lunch box recommendations

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Oct 2021 7:23 pm

https://shop.tastemade.com/pages/prepd-pack

I bought one of these when it was first launched as a kickstarter project. Sadly, I retired before I received it (retired 3.5 years early @ 71.5 yrs)), not because it was late. So I gifted it to my daughter. She loves it. YMMV.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Wed, 06 Oct 2021 8:14 pm

Thanks SMS! Looks really chic and stylish..and check if Singapore sells this.. Like the separate containers.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Fri, 08 Oct 2021 12:29 pm

That’s a very classy lunchbox…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 09 Oct 2021 1:37 pm

Before WFH I used to pack an egg & cheese sandwich for breakfast every tue/thu each week (oatmeal in my mug for the other days). For that I used a square/flat Tupperware type of container, just slightly larger than the sandwich itself. Only $2 from Daiso, and it was perfect - took up very little space in my bag.

My son packs a lunch for school and uses an insulated zippered bag, which holds various sealed containers of food. This seems to work best. We’ve never been able to find good ones locally, so whenever we visit the US we buy several extras (in a given school year, at least one or two will be stolen or misplaced). We always buy them at Target, similar to this one —

https://www.target.com/p/fulton-bag-co- ... A-53338811
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Post by nelyanne » Sun, 10 Oct 2021 3:31 pm

I can recommend you this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Modetro-Lunchbox ... B01EWR83SW
I bought it 3 months ago.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Mon, 11 Oct 2021 11:27 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 09 Oct 2021 1:37 pm
Before WFH I used to pack an egg & cheese sandwich for breakfast every tue/thu each week (oatmeal in my mug for the other days). For that I used a square/flat Tupperware type of container, just slightly larger than the sandwich itself. Only $2 from Daiso, and it was perfect - took up very little space in my bag.

My son packs a lunch for school and uses an insulated zippered bag, which holds various sealed containers of food. This seems to work best. We’ve never been able to find good ones locally, so whenever we visit the US we buy several extras (in a given school year, at least one or two will be stolen or misplaced). We always buy them at Target, similar to this one —

Looks good too..let me check out daiso as well.

I got the daiso water bottles but they kept breaking once you accidentally drop once.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 06 Oct 2021 7:23 pm
https://shop.tastemade.com/pages/prepd-pack

I bought one of these when it was first launched as a kickstarter project. Sadly, I retired before I received it (retired 3.5 years early @ 71.5 yrs)), not because it was late. So I gifted it to my daughter. She loves it. YMMV.
Wow, you’re a big spender SMS! I remember seeing this a couple years ago on kickstarter but never got around to buying it. Seems like they’ve upped the price quite a bit since it hit the market officially.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:36 pm

abbby wrote:
Wed, 06 Oct 2021 6:33 pm
I need to buy a nice lunch box that's functional, keeps food tight and fresh, doesn't leak and not too big..are there any you can recommend? Been on amazon and shopee but have not found any suitable..
I’d recommend sistema lunchboxes (not the toothpaste brand). Relatively inexpensive $10-15 if I remember correctly. I bought the salad box years ago and still use it today, stores more than just salad. My only complaint is there’s no temperature regulation, although makes sense considering it’s a salad box.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:36 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 09 Oct 2021 1:37 pm

Whatever happened to good old brown bags? LOL

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 16 Oct 2021 10:58 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:36 pm
I still see them sold at stores in the US, and that is what I used from junior high onwards, I probably thought that a lunch box wasn’t cool anymore.

For some reason, my friends from Japan are obsessed with American brown lunch bags, they were even hoping to find some here in Singapore. Sadly, they were disappointed.

Another “classic” item that you just can’t find here is the plastic red party cups that are so ubiquitous at keggers in the US. I remember my first BBQ here, all I could find were these small chintzy clear plastic cups… ugh! Since then they have gotten in bigger and better ones, but it’s hard to beat the classic party cup.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 18 Oct 2021 10:33 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 16 Oct 2021 10:58 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:36 pm
I still see them sold at stores in the US, and that is what I used from junior high onwards, I probably thought that a lunch box wasn’t cool anymore.

For some reason, my friends from Japan are obsessed with American brown lunch bags, they were even hoping to find some here in Singapore. Sadly, they were disappointed.

Another “classic” item that you just can’t find here is the plastic red party cups that are so ubiquitous at keggers in the US. I remember my first BBQ here, all I could find were these small chintzy clear plastic cups… ugh! Since then they have gotten in bigger and better ones, but it’s hard to beat the classic party cup.
Solo cups! They’re everywhere in the US but can’t really find them here. Sometimes at cold storage I see little plastic shot glasses that look a lot like solo cups, but they’re far too small to be the real thing.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 19 Oct 2021 11:59 am

Yep, I find it almost insulting, these little plastic cups… even McDonald’s used to use them when you ask for free water. After a while, I just asked them, please… give me the water in a normal drink cup (for crying out loud!) and they will, if somewhat grudgingly.

I have such disdain for these little cups… I exclusively call them “pee cups”, because they remind me of those cups used for providing urine samples!

You might expect somebody here would react to my calling them that… but no, I never get any reaction. I guess everyone here thinks it’s normal to drink from a pee cup, either that or it’s passing completely over their head.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Oct 2021 12:14 pm

more likely the latter.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:41 am

Definitely the latter, some locals can be so dense when it comes to having a sense of humor.