Singapore Expats

PR REP Renewal

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: PR REP Renewal

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 07 Mar 2022 8:49 am

Skidmarkz wrote:
Mon, 07 Mar 2022 6:17 am
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 06 Mar 2022 3:17 pm
Skidmarkz wrote:
Sun, 06 Mar 2022 7:28 am

HI goodmanz have you got your Rep renewed for 5 years yet? Iam on the same situation as you were last year.
How long have you been in Canada? Three years or more? Are you still there? You IP address would indicate so. Anyway, if you have been out of the country for 3 or more years and only back in Sg for 1 year the likelihood (and anecdotal evidence) is that you will get it renewed IF you are already back in Singapore and it will likely be for only 1 year to see if you remain here. Permanent Residence is for Residents of Singapore (e.g., where you spend the vast majority of your time). After that it is possible that you will get a normal 5 year renewal.

However, if you are still outside Singapore with less than a year to go and have been outside 3 or more years, the likelihood of renewal is extremely thin, 1 year or 5.

On the other hand, if you make it back to Singapore before it expires, you can try, but they may well reject renewal but as a PR, as long as you remain inside Singapore you can remain a PR. But if you leave while in that situation, you will signal ICA that you are giving up your PR the moment you walk through immigration outward bound and your NRIC will be impounded by ICA at Immigration.

You can, theoretically spend the rest of your life here without a reentry permit, but still be a PR. But the moment you leave the country without the REP, it's sayonara Singapore.

Anecdotal 1st hand evidence, I stayed here on PR alone for 15 months before renewing mine. I believe that was back in 2004~2005.
Hi thank you for your reply, I appreciate it very much. I have been in Canada since end of 2019, right few months covid officially hit SG. My REP will expire in early Oct 2022 this year. And I am planning to go back around end of May this year. And plan to find job in SG asap to contribute my CPF as well. Will I get chance to get 5 yrs renewal? If I do volunteering cpf contribution, will it count?
I was working and contributing CPF consistently from 2018 to 2019 though.

Thank you
Voluntary CPF won't count. ICA ia already aware of this trick.
even if you come back in may 2022, your chances for 5 years is very slim. You will be given a 1 year REP first and then based on how you stay here during the 1 year, you may get a next 5 years REP renewal.
2018/2019 - working consistently is ok. What matters is the 2 years gap now.

Skidmarkz

Re: PR REP Renewal

Post by Skidmarkz » Thu, 14 Apr 2022 2:05 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 07 Mar 2022 8:49 am
Skidmarkz wrote:
Mon, 07 Mar 2022 6:17 am
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 06 Mar 2022 3:17 pm

How long have you been in Canada? Three years or more? Are you still there? You IP address would indicate so. Anyway, if you have been out of the country for 3 or more years and only back in Sg for 1 year the likelihood (and anecdotal evidence) is that you will get it renewed IF you are already back in Singapore and it will likely be for only 1 year to see if you remain here. Permanent Residence is for Residents of Singapore (e.g., where you spend the vast majority of your time). After that it is possible that you will get a normal 5 year renewal.

However, if you are still outside Singapore with less than a year to go and have been outside 3 or more years, the likelihood of renewal is extremely thin, 1 year or 5.

On the other hand, if you make it back to Singapore before it expires, you can try, but they may well reject renewal but as a PR, as long as you remain inside Singapore you can remain a PR. But if you leave while in that situation, you will signal ICA that you are giving up your PR the moment you walk through immigration outward bound and your NRIC will be impounded by ICA at Immigration.

You can, theoretically spend the rest of your life here without a reentry permit, but still be a PR. But the moment you leave the country without the REP, it's sayonara Singapore.

Anecdotal 1st hand evidence, I stayed here on PR alone for 15 months before renewing mine. I believe that was back in 2004~2005.
Hi thank you for your reply, I appreciate it very much. I have been in Canada since end of 2019, right few months covid officially hit SG. My REP will expire in early Oct 2022 this year. And I am planning to go back around end of May this year. And plan to find job in SG asap to contribute my CPF as well. Will I get chance to get 5 yrs renewal? If I do volunteering cpf contribution, will it count?
I was working and contributing CPF consistently from 2018 to 2019 though.

Thank you
Voluntary CPF won't count. ICA ia already aware of this trick.
even if you come back in may 2022, your chances for 5 years is very slim. You will be given a 1 year REP first and then based on how you stay here during the 1 year, you may get a next 5 years REP renewal.
2018/2019 - working consistently is ok. What matters is the 2 years gap now.
Hi ok thank you for your info so I guess I can only expect for 1 yr extension if that's the case. I heard from my other friends that they were given 1 yr extension and after that another warning via letter for final 1yr extension ( after that no more 1yr extension again).
I will keep my fingers crossed so my renewal won't be straight away rejected.
Thanks