Singapore Expats

PR REP Renewal

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
goodmanz

PR REP Renewal

Post by goodmanz » Fri, 01 Oct 2021 9:24 am

Hello,
I am SPR(Korean) for 15 years. For last 4 years I worked and stay in overseas.
REP going to expired in End of Nov 2021. Since last year I was looking for Position in Singapore.
Finally, I got job position and first day appointed in 1 Nov 2021 with Singapore company. and will go in Singapore end of this month with family.

2 days ago I submit REP renewal for me and my family. until now it still show as pending
I mention my detail situation (Question about Job(work) in Singapore) on REP renewal form

below my question,
1. Anyone had same situation before ? What was result?
2. Case not normal like me, How long takes to know result ( Reject or Approved ) ?
3. If I get reject notice, what I can do more. ?
4. If it rejected as final, what will be happen after Exp date REP ?

Thank you

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR REP Renewal

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Oct 2021 2:22 pm

If it is rejected as final, it depends on whether or not you are currently in Singapore. If you can get into Singapore (and survive, financially until your new position starts you will be okay. However, it is essential that you managed to get into (e.g., through immigration) while your REP is still valid. Once in Singapore, you do not have to have an REP to stay here but if you leave while your REP is expired you will be signaling ICA that it is your intention to give up your PR. The REP is only a requirement if you want to leave the country (even a day trip to Batam or Johor). You can stay here as a PR indefinitely without an REP, but until the REP is renewed, you tread on dangerous ground should you have an emergency back in Korea.

I have gone as long as 15 months without an REP before renewing it. So I know this option is available (I've been a PR for over quarter of a century). I retired 2.5 years ago. Get into the country before it expires. (usually if you haven't had it happen before, it was possible to pay a fine (used to be S$100) but not sure now how much it is. If that happens, you will be given a 1 year REP, usually to get your affairs in order. Or stay in Singapore as otherwise, ICA doesn't see any reason for you to remain a PR if you are not resident here. Something to chew on......

SMS
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 01 Oct 2021 8:50 pm

goodmanz wrote:
Fri, 01 Oct 2021 9:24 am
Hello,
REP going to expired in End of Nov 2021. Since last year I was looking for Position in Singapore.
Finally, I got job position and first day appointed in 1 Nov 2021 with Singapore company. and will go in Singapore end of this month with family.

2 days ago I submit REP renewal for me and my family. until now it still show as pending
I mention my detail situation (Question about Job(work) in Singapore) on REP renewal form

below my question,
2. Case not normal like me, How long takes to know result ( Reject or Approved ) ?

Thank you
Likely will be given 1 year renewal or a rejection. After that you can consider to appeal based on the new job.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sun, 03 Oct 2021 8:18 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 01 Oct 2021 2:22 pm
I have gone as long as 15 months without an REP before renewing it. So I know this option is available (I've been a PR for over quarter of a century). I retired 2.5 years ago. Get into the country before it expires. (usually if you haven't had it happen before, it was possible to pay a fine (used to be S$100) but not sure now how much it is. If that happens, you will be given a 1 year REP, usually to get your affairs in order. Or stay in Singapore as otherwise, ICA doesn't see any reason for you to remain a PR if you are not resident here. Something to chew on......

SMS
My wife and daughter’s REP expires this Dec, and unless we have plans to travel, I was thinking there is probably no hurry to renew this. But does renewing it late send any signals?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Oct 2021 2:30 pm

Doesn't seem to, I've renewed 2x since then. Just remember that forgetting to renew it is a distinct possibility although one would think you would remember, but life's like that. Throw you a curveball when you don't expect it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 03 Oct 2021 6:29 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 03 Oct 2021 8:18 am

SMS
My wife and daughter’s REP expires this Dec, and unless we have plans to travel, I was thinking there is probably no hurry to renew this. But does renewing it late send any signals?
I will renew it on time. Reason is see the below line from ICA

If you have a valid REP, you must renew it online using e-Service within three months of its expiry date. You are not required to submit any documents, unless requested by ICA.

https://www.ica.gov.sg/reside/PR/apply-REP

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sun, 03 Oct 2021 7:02 pm

Sun, 03 Oct 2021 2:30 pm
Doesn't seem to, I've renewed 2x since then. Just remember that forgetting to renew it is a distinct possibility although one would think you would remember, but life's like that. Throw you a curveball when you don't expect it.
Yep, something similar happened to me once, except it was my EP that was expired. We were catching a ferry to Bintan for the weekend and they were like, ummm, did you know your EP expired over a month ago? I was like, what!? Fortunately they were pretty cool about it but still had to pay a reduced fine before we could continue on to Bintan. When we got back, fortunately the same immigration at the ferry terminal recognized me and gave be a 90 day SVP to straighten it out. I had my company reimburse me for the fine, but I’m sure the black mark remains.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Oct 2021 9:03 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Sun, 03 Oct 2021 6:29 pm
malcontent wrote:
Sun, 03 Oct 2021 8:18 am
I will renew it on time. Reason is see the below line from ICA

If you have a valid REP, you must renew it online using e-Service within three months of its expiry date. You are not required to submit any documents, unless requested by ICA.

https://www.ica.gov.sg/reside/PR/apply-REP
Okay, then that has changed. I have to admit, mine happened before online renewals were available back when you actually needed to go down to Kallang to do it (Passport chop, not the slip of paper you fold up and put in the back of your passport and pray you don't lose while overseas). Must remember to renew it now.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 04 Oct 2021 8:41 am

Normally words like “you must” are followed by words like “failure to do so could result in…” but as far as I know, such wording only exists if you are outside of Singapore when it expires.

I noticed that many who have PR here are under the false impression that REP renewal = PR renewal.

This is similar to what is commonly believed about the legality of possessing and chewing gum here — I’ve actually got a good story about our experience with customs… not to be shared publicly. You can probably imagine. Let us say no more.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Oct 2021 11:42 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 04 Oct 2021 8:41 am
Normally words like “you must” are followed by words like “failure to do so could result in…” but as far as I know, such wording only exists if you are outside of Singapore when it expires.

I noticed that many who have PR here are under the false impression that REP renewal = PR renewal.

This is similar to what is commonly believed about the legality of possessing and chewing gum here — I’ve actually got a good story about our experience with customs… not to be shared publicly. You can probably imagine. Let us say no more.
You are right. Normally it is expressly noted. But to be on the safe side...... :-k

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 04 Oct 2021 1:36 pm

How I read that, is that you must renew with e-services, instead of coming to ICA office.

Though don't see really a reason not to do it immediately when it's available for renewal, feels safer that way to have it in pocket.

Skidmarkz

Post by Skidmarkz » Sun, 06 Mar 2022 7:28 am

goodmanz wrote:
Fri, 01 Oct 2021 9:24 am
Hello,

below my question,

Thank you
HI goodmanz have you got your Rep renewed for 5 years yet? Iam on the same situation as you were last year.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Mar 2022 3:17 pm

Skidmarkz wrote:
Sun, 06 Mar 2022 7:28 am

HI goodmanz have you got your Rep renewed for 5 years yet? Iam on the same situation as you were last year.
How long have you been in Canada? Three years or more? Are you still there? You IP address would indicate so. Anyway, if you have been out of the country for 3 or more years and only back in Sg for 1 year the likelihood (and anecdotal evidence) is that you will get it renewed IF you are already back in Singapore and it will likely be for only 1 year to see if you remain here. Permanent Residence is for Residents of Singapore (e.g., where you spend the vast majority of your time). After that it is possible that you will get a normal 5 year renewal.

However, if you are still outside Singapore with less than a year to go and have been outside 3 or more years, the likelihood of renewal is extremely thin, 1 year or 5.

On the other hand, if you make it back to Singapore before it expires, you can try, but they may well reject renewal but as a PR, as long as you remain inside Singapore you can remain a PR. But if you leave while in that situation, you will signal ICA that you are giving up your PR the moment you walk through immigration outward bound and your NRIC will be impounded by ICA at Immigration.

You can, theoretically spend the rest of your life here without a reentry permit, but still be a PR. But the moment you leave the country without the REP, it's sayonara Singapore.

Anecdotal 1st hand evidence, I stayed here on PR alone for 15 months before renewing mine. I believe that was back in 2004~2005.

Skidmarkz

Post by Skidmarkz » Mon, 07 Mar 2022 6:17 am

Sun, 06 Mar 2022 3:17 pm
Skidmarkz wrote:
Sun, 06 Mar 2022 7:28 am

How long have you been in Canada? Three years or more? Are you still there? You IP address would indicate so. Anyway, if you have been out of the country for 3 or more years and only back in Sg for 1 year the likelihood (and anecdotal evidence) is that you will get it renewed IF you are already back in Singapore and it will likely be for only 1 year to see if you remain here. Permanent Residence is for Residents of Singapore (e.g., where you spend the vast majority of your time). After that it is possible that you will get a normal 5 year renewal.

However, if you are still outside Singapore with less than a year to go and have been outside 3 or more years, the likelihood of renewal is extremely thin, 1 year or 5.

On the other hand, if you make it back to Singapore before it expires, you can try, but they may well reject renewal but as a PR, as long as you remain inside Singapore you can remain a PR. But if you leave while in that situation, you will signal ICA that you are giving up your PR the moment you walk through immigration outward bound and your NRIC will be impounded by ICA at Immigration.

You can, theoretically spend the rest of your life here without a reentry permit, but still be a PR. But the moment you leave the country without the REP, it's sayonara Singapore.

Anecdotal 1st hand evidence, I stayed here on PR alone for 15 months before renewing mine. I believe that was back in 2004~2005.
Hi thank you for your reply, I appreciate it very much. I have been in Canada since end of 2019, right few months covid officially hit SG. My REP will expire in early Oct 2022 this year. And I am planning to go back around end of May this year. And plan to find job in SG asap to contribute my CPF as well. Will I get chance to get 5 yrs renewal? If I do volunteering cpf contribution, will it count?
I was working and contributing CPF consistently from 2018 to 2019 though.

Thank you

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 07 Mar 2022 8:25 am

Skidmarkz wrote:
Mon, 07 Mar 2022 6:17 am
Hi thank you for your reply, I appreciate it very much. I have been in Canada since end of 2019, right few months covid officially hit SG. My REP will expire in early Oct 2022 this year. And I am planning to go back around end of May this year. And plan to find job in SG asap to contribute my CPF as well. Will I get chance to get 5 yrs renewal? If I do volunteering cpf contribution, will it count?
I was working and contributing CPF consistently from 2018 to 2019 though.

Thank you
If you can confirm that you will be back in SG before expiry, you’ve really got nothing to worry about — you won’t lose PR as long as you stay in Singapore, even without a valid REP. If they reject the renewal, just stay in SG until you find a job, then reapply.

You seem concerned about getting a full 5 years… that makes me wonder if you actually want to stay outside SG in the future but don’t want to lose the option of returning to SG.

If that is the case, you should provide more context around why you left SG because it is possible to renew the REP from abroad, but they will need some really strong evidence that your stay in Canada is temporary and that you have concrete plans to return.