Cold Feet after IPA for PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 3

Cold Feet after IPA for PR

Post by malcontent » Tue, 28 Sep 2021 1:46 am

This is going to sound bizarre, but here goes. I have some in-laws who recently applied for PR and have just received their IPA. They honestly didn’t expect to be approved and are now second guessing the whole thing (I know what you are thinking… but let’s put that aside).

The IPA says they have to act within 30 days, and the question is, what if they don’t? Will the IPA lapse and they won’t get PR?

Will pulling this kind of maneuver have any negative repercussions on their existing or future EP?

How about if they apply for PR in the future?
It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters ~ Epictetus

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Re: Cold Feet after IPA for PR

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:05 pm

Mal, I don't think it will affect existing or future EPs but it will surely put the seal of 'forget PR' in the future unless the rellie is a neurosurgeon or rocket scientist. With the normal codicil of 'It's only my opinion'. Yes, the IPA will lapse and will send the same signal as them writing in to say they don't want it. In either case, they are telling the gahment that they no longer find Sg attractive enough to make it their permanent home. (unless they have a really valid excuse in the gahment's eyes-not their eyes)

Having said that, we've seen some strange crap over the past 3 or 4 years so.......
But I'd sure not take that gamble. (I reckon the odds are about the same whether or not you don't take up PR or give up your PR and want to return although there is a better chance of that as they would have to return all the CPF if they withdrew it. But not have contributed to PR, I think they are permanently closing the door to 'permanent'.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 28 Sep 2021 1:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:05 pm
Mal, I don't think it will affect existing or future EPs but it will surely put the seal of 'forget PR' in the future unless the rellie is a neurosurgeon or rocket scientist. With the normal codicil of 'It's only my opinion'. Yes, the IPA will lapse and will send the same signal as them writing in to say they don't want it. In either case, they are telling the gahment that they no longer find Sg attractive enough to make it their permanent home. (unless they have a really valid excuse in the gahment's eyes-not their eyes)

Having said that, we've seen some strange crap over the past 3 or 4 years so.......
But I'd sure not take that gamble. (I reckon the odds are about the same whether or not you don't take up PR or give up your PR and want to return although there is a better chance of that as they would have to return all the CPF if they withdrew it. But not have contributed to PR, I think they are permanently closing the door to 'permanent'.
Thanks for the advice. The fact that it’s the father (EP holder) and two sons (DP holders) on the application (the mother is already a PR), I would guess there’s also a risk that the two sons will also be affected in the future, even to get their DP renewed. The two boys are in local school and the oldest just turned 13.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Sep 2021 1:57 pm

Are the two boys on the IPA as well? This guy is really taking a gamble then. You are right. I assume they are DP on the EP and not LTVP on the mother's PR? Is she the birth mother? Or was the kids kept off deliberately due to the NS issue. The way I see it, the kids almost have to have been on the father's PR application and now the father is having second thoughts due to the NS issue. If that's the case, yeah, I can see them not renewing the DP and forcing the issue. We all know that ICA can play dirty if one tries to pull a fast one and they cotton to it in time.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 28 Sep 2021 5:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 28 Sep 2021 1:57 pm
Are the two boys on the IPA as well? This guy is really taking a gamble then. You are right. I assume they are DP on the EP and not LTVP on the mother's PR? Is she the birth mother? Or was the kids kept off deliberately due to the NS issue. The way I see it, the kids almost have to have been on the father's PR application and now the father is having second thoughts due to the NS issue. If that's the case, yeah, I can see them not renewing the DP and forcing the issue. We all know that ICA can play dirty if one tries to pull a fast one and they cotton to it in time.
Yes, the two boys are on the IPA, and yes they are currently on DPs under the father’s EP. The PR mother is the birth mother, but the oldest son was born in the US. The father was a naturalized US citizen, so the second child born here is also a US citizen by birth.

So, yeah… I figure they have no choice but to give their two sons… or get outta Dodge (and don’t come back). Of course, back when the application was filed last year, I suspect the employer sponsoring the EP had plans to cut. Singapore probably saw a boatload of PR applicants coming out of the woodwork last year because of that.