Singapore Expats

Covid situation not looking so good?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Mon, 27 Sep 2021 9:07 pm

Numbers are on the rise everyday...not looking good. I am just wondering will even the next 2 weeks help?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Covid situation not looking so good?

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Sep 2021 2:44 am

Doubt it will do anything significant. Really worrying to see the cases rise day after day, the spike came from seemingly nowhere.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:25 pm

It will probably continue until it hits around 5K/day. Don't forget, the vast majority are on home quarantine (HQO) and in all probability are asymptomatic with no apparent effects but still showing up as infected. Additionally, as we are looking at over 80% fully vaccinated. It's mostly elderly who refuse to get vaxxed and a couple of others with various/numerous co-morbidities which led to a severely compromised immune system who are dying. Currently there are less than 1300 warded in hospitals but only 194 serious (requiring O2) and 27 in ICU. The other 20 or 30K are on HQO either at home or in a facility to simulate HQO if actual home not suitable.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:26 pm

The spike is because of the ramping up of the various testing regimes picking up even asymptomatic cases with ART and the others. AND Delta.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 29 Sep 2021 4:12 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:25 pm
It will probably continue until it hits around 5K/day. Don't forget, the vast majority are on home quarantine (HQO) and in all probability are asymptomatic with no apparent effects but still showing up as infected. Additionally, as we are looking at over 80% fully vaccinated. It's mostly elderly who refuse to get vaxxed and a couple of others with various/numerous co-morbidities which led to a severely compromised immune system who are dying. Currently there are less than 1300 warded in hospitals but only 194 serious (requiring O2) and 27 in ICU. The other 20 or 30K are on HQO either at home or in a facility to simulate HQO if actual home not suitable.
5K a day is a terrifying prospect, hope the government doesn’t let it come to that, although it may not be within their control.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 29 Sep 2021 4:12 am

Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:26 pm
The spike is because of the ramping up of the various testing regimes picking up even asymptomatic cases with ART and the others. AND Delta.
Makes sense, perhaps the number of cases aren’t actually rising, just that the number of reported cases are.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Sep 2021 11:06 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 29 Sep 2021 4:12 am
Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:26 pm
Makes sense, perhaps the number of cases aren’t actually rising, just that the number of reported cases are.
Spot on, Lisa.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Wed, 29 Sep 2021 12:31 pm

Probably a bit of both, actually rising but also higher percentage getting reported as more tests are being carried out, as pointed out by SMS. Deaths are also rising a bit, which would hint that there is more cases around, but even those numbers are by international comparison super low, and countries in Europe are opening up fully with higher death rates.

And not being ageist here, but the deaths are pretty much all at age group that they have actually already reached the life expectancy in Singapore. So, no matter how sad it sounds people are not going to live forever. If you are over 80 and have multiple health conditions, covid or not, you are likely to die rather sooner than later. Obviously being not vaccinated doesn't improve your chances.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Sep 2021 12:45 pm

Well, as long as they are giving out free booster shots, I'll be in line (although I got my first booster day after registering for it. (I got the SMS the 1st day at 11 am and got the booster on day after at 10:30 am. I'm not 80 but at 74 why take chances (or should I say, take the option with the lesser risks).

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Wed, 29 Sep 2021 3:55 pm

“Wong has generally appeared to favour tighter measures to contain the virus, while Ong is seen as a greater advocate for opening.“

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/singa ... 51483.html

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Fri, 01 Oct 2021 7:15 am

How much longer can they suppress the economy at 82% vaccinated?

FnB places will struggle to last much longer on 2 pax dining, families will be frustrated and much less likely any tourists will come if they can’t dine out.

More likely, mental health issues will break through. Some single friends are complaining about cabin fever.

SG really has to face what being endemic means, like flu. A lot of money is being wasted on test and trace, when many are vaccinated and symptomatic. The Govt knows who isn’t vaccinated, they just need to focus on those not exposing themselves.

We already have mandatory vaccination for childhood diseases, intended to reduce morbidity and mortality. COVID vaccination for adults and >12 can become mandatory to protect the children (until approved for <12).

There is no way to reach 90% vaccination without a mandate or other incentive - which for Singaporeans is likely financial. Either run a lottery, or withdraw all financial suppprt to treat COVID if you aren’t vaccinated.

The latter is much cheaper and I am surprised health insurance hasn’t pulled that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

potatoinsg

Post by potatoinsg » Fri, 01 Oct 2021 3:25 pm

At this rate, everyone get contracted covid at least once. Then, those with low immune system have to suffer. I am getting very worried about when is it my turn.....

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 02 Oct 2021 10:02 am

potatoinsg wrote:
Fri, 01 Oct 2021 3:25 pm
At this rate, everyone get contracted covid at least once. Then, those with low immune system have to suffer. I am getting very worried about when is it my turn.....
Not necessarily. Also, you might have already contracted it.

With 80%++ vaccinated there is not much that can be done. Yes, people with coexisting conditions and those unvaccinated may suffer, but the tightening kills the economy and in my opinion indirectly may kill more people than covid.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 02 Oct 2021 10:18 am

An anecdote. My friend's mum in Bangalore was infected a few months ago. She's in her 80s and suffers from dementia. But, since she was vaccinated she was quarantined at home. She had mild symptoms and recovered within a few days. My friend and his wife are also vaccinated and didn't catch the virus. Neither did his 2 sons who live in the same house, in their teens and early 20s even though they were not yet vaccinated at the time. Keep in mind that the old lady suffers from dementia and would keep walking around the house without her mask on.

Just one of I'm sure several examples of how vaccination helps

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sat, 02 Oct 2021 8:48 pm

Indeed, old sick people die no matter Covid it not. Now making the whole population suffer emotionally and become more suicidal is hardly justifiable, just because some people don't believe in vaccination. Year ago was quite different than now. Anyway we can just hope the government is brave enough to ignore the noise from anti vaccers and paranoids, and let the rest of us get back to our lives.