Singapore Expats

EP-approved, not issued but STVP refused to be issued by ex-employer

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
wxlee08

EP-approved, not issued but STVP refused to be issued by ex-employer

Post by wxlee08 » Sat, 25 Sep 2021 11:30 pm

Hi all,

My EP has been approved by MOM but can only be issued on the first working day with my new employer. However, my ex-employer refuses to issue an STVP during the buffer/transition period from my last working day at the old workplace to the first working day at the new workplace. From what i know, the IPA is insufficient as a pass to stay in Sg during that transition period.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Should I contact MOM regarding this issue?

Would appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks all!

novaandbong

Re: EP-approved, not issued but STVP refused to be issued by ex-employer

Post by novaandbong » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 3:20 am

The ex employer can only keep your EP if you’re employed by them. By giving your formal notice they will have to cancel your EP on your last working day (or the morning after immediately after the online portal opens at 9 am) because they can’t legally sponsor that EP without a valid employment contract.
How do you know they refuse to issue your STVP? Is it your last day at the old workplace yet?

If not your last day yet, wait until the last day and chase HR for the disembarkation form/STVP. Your new employer needs this to activate your new pass.

If your last day is already over, contact MOM ASAP and keep the new employer posted. You can’t legally start working for the new company while the old EP is still in effect

wxlee08

Post by wxlee08 » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 12:31 pm

I have requested the old employer to issue the STVP during my last working day however, according to them, they will violate the company governance if they issue me the STVP. Isn't the STVP supposed to be issued by your old employer after the last working day? After cancelling the EP during the last working day, if there's no STVP, are they expecting the employee to leave Sg immediately after the last working day? ( in other words, after your last working day, just get on the flight back to your homeland? This sounds nonsensical)

novaandbong

Post by novaandbong » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 4:47 pm

No, STVP is automatically generated the moment the EP is cancelled. Even if the employer doesn’t give you, the government allows you to stay up to 30-90 days (depending on nationality). If they have your EP cancelled and don’t issue you the STVP they are breaking the law. I would tell your HR that you would be contacting MOM. They will be shitting bricks