Singapore Expats

Need suggestion for the best co-living spaces for expats and students.

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
KylieMorris

Need suggestion for the best co-living spaces for expats and students.

Post by KylieMorris » Fri, 24 Sep 2021 1:19 pm

Could you guys please help me with some suggestions for the best co-living spaces in Singapore for students and expats.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Need suggestion for the best co-living spaces for expats and students.

Post by abbby » Thu, 23 Dec 2021 5:05 pm

The more reputable ones are listed here

https://www.singaporeexpats.com/housing ... spaces.htm
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 24 Dec 2021 2:11 am

KylieMorris wrote:
Fri, 24 Sep 2021 1:19 pm
Could you guys please help me with some suggestions for the best co-living spaces in Singapore for students and expats.
Alternatively can look for room rental.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 24 Dec 2021 2:13 am

abbby wrote:
Thu, 23 Dec 2021 5:05 pm

These seem to be on the higher end price wise, perhaps not suitable for students.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 24 Dec 2021 7:04 am

Why do you two keep necroposting (reviving dead threads) when the original poster has clearly not logged in for the past 2 months, has not made any other posts since then, and is unlikely to log in ever again. It’s just bad forum etiquette to necropost.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 25 Dec 2021 3:14 am

MOCHS wrote:
Fri, 24 Dec 2021 7:04 am
Why do you two keep necroposting (reviving dead threads) when the original poster has clearly not logged in for the past 2 months, has not made any other posts since then, and is unlikely to log in ever again. It’s just bad forum etiquette to necropost.
I was simply responding to Abby, otherwise I would have had no idea this thread even existed. The fact that the OP has yet to respond does not mean that the information provided will not prove useful to future forum users.

Separately, why are you always so aggressive? This is not the first time you have tried to call out mine or other posters behavior on the forum. If you don’t agree with our habits, just move on. It’s not like your post was useful, if anything your post simply added fluff to the thread (how ironic). We are all sincere posters trying to do something with our time at home while helping others, why not go after those who create fake accounts or self promote instead? This is a public forum that thrives off engagement and interaction, why shouldn’t we be able to converse with other users?

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:24 pm

Housing here was designed around the idea of “build it and they will come” without any regard for actual occupants or what they might want — and unfortunately in Singapore, they only want nuclear families who can make babies. Anything outside of that is a square peg trying to fit in round hole. Today, even nuclear families are having a tough time getting housing, so you can only imagine how it is for the rest. I’ve said it before, the #1 issue that should be on the agenda is housing.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 28 Oct 2023 9:13 am

Thebessmyt wrote:
Fri, 27 Oct 2023 8:23 pm
In Singapore, some popular areas known for expat-friendly accommodations include Clar ke Qu ay, Orch ard Ro ad, and B ugis. These areas offer a vibrant and convenient lifestyle, with access to shopping, dining, and entertainment options. Many co-living spaces in these areas are designed to provide a comfortable and community-oriented living experience.
We are getting this sort of posts for many years and I still wonder how they do work. A bit hard to believe in any impact worth paying any money just by mentioning the locations as above.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 28 Oct 2023 2:42 pm

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:24 pm
Housing here was designed around the idea of “build it and they will come” without any regard for actual occupants or what they might want — and unfortunately in Singapore, they only want nuclear families who can make babies. Anything outside of that is a square peg trying to fit in round hole. Today, even nuclear families are having a tough time getting housing, so you can only imagine how it is for the rest. I’ve said it before, the #1 issue that should be on the agenda is housing.
Pitiful, really. And the skyrocketing prices only continue to worsen the declining birth rate since youngsters can no longer afford to have families.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 28 Oct 2023 2:42 pm

x9200 wrote:
Sat, 28 Oct 2023 9:13 am
Thebessmyt wrote:
In Singapore, some popular areas known for expat-friendly accommodations include Clar ke Qu ay, Orch ard Ro ad, and B ugis. These areas offer a vibrant and convenient lifestyle, with access to shopping, dining, and entertainment options. Many co-living spaces in these areas are designed to provide a comfortable and community-oriented living experience.
We are getting this sort of posts for many years and I still wonder how they do work. A bit hard to believe in any impact worth paying any money just by mentioning the locations as above.
I believe SMS said something to the effect of they make posts and then edit them in the future to advertise/include links.

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Post by nelyanne » Sat, 28 Oct 2023 6:12 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 28 Oct 2023 2:42 pm
malcontent wrote:
Pitiful, really. And the skyrocketing prices only continue to worsen the declining birth rate since youngsters can no longer afford to have families.
I recently visited a newly finished BTO unit. It's so cramped, like a chicken coop, not a place for a growing family. And there is clearly no will to do anything about it. Singapore is the best place for double-income couples without kids.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 28 Oct 2023 9:23 pm

nelyanne wrote:
Sat, 28 Oct 2023 6:12 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
malcontent wrote:
I recently visited a newly finished BTO unit. It's so cramped, like a chicken coop, not a place for a growing family. And there is clearly no will to do anything about it. Singapore is the best place for double-income couples without kids.
Dual Income No Kids is known by the unflattering acronym DINK.

That is the ultimate efficiency — people in their prime, contributing the maximum to GDP and taking up as little space as possible (yikes, that starts to conjure up imagery of the Matrix). However, the military needs a sufficient number of NS men or else you know what’s next: NS women — that’s not going to go down well with the voting public.

And, as appealing as it might be to supplement the low birth rate with potentially superior imported citizenry (kids that took up no space in the local school system and didn’t rely on the genetic lottery of random procreation), you’ve got to contend with sustaining a cohesive and patriotic society with enough stayers vs. quitters.

However, I fully agree that something needs to be done to address housing, especially for families that are doing their part and having kids. It’s not enough to just provide a few thousand per child and call it good. Housing badly needs to a total re-think, and that needs to start with HDB, but liberalizing private developments is also critical.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

willgreer

Post by willgreer » Sun, 29 Oct 2023 5:35 am

abbby wrote:
Thu, 23 Dec 2021 5:05 pm

Thanks for the advice!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 29 Oct 2023 9:48 am

Lisafuller wrote:
x9200 wrote:
Sat, 28 Oct 2023 9:13 am
Thebessmyt wrote:
I believe SMS said something to the effect of they make posts and then edit them in the future to advertise/include links.
Either overlooked or forgotten about his comment. Makes sense.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sun, 29 Oct 2023 2:51 pm

I don’t think editing old posts is allowed anymore… maybe they didn’t get the memo.