Singapore Expats

Singapore planning to boost the local stock market

Discuss about the different financial investment options, financial markets, common investment products and what is trending in the market.
smoulder
Editor
Editor

Singapore planning to boost the local stock market

Post by smoulder » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 11:03 pm

Most of us here who invest, know that the SGX is a small pond with listings of companies caught on the wrong side of the 21st century. I'll be watching with interest, but I'm mostly skeptical about the expected outcome. What are your thoughts?

https://www.asiaone.com/money/singapore ... ld-benefit

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Singapore planning to boost the local stock market

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 26 Sep 2021 11:00 am

Well, after the news look at the reaction of STI, that should tell you what the market thinks about this news.

Normally a country's stock exchange represents it's economy and its market. For example India Nifty you want to own because of the companies that will benefit from the growth of India.

Singapore market is so small and matured, so there no market to speak of and even within that even the one or two innovative companies like Shoppee decided to list on Nasdaq. India has the clout to force it's companies to list in India and generally Indians and foreigners are very upbeat about Indian economy.

Singapore is just a good place to have your asset domicile due to tax purposes, other than that there is no reason to overweight SG stock market.

So I would use this advantage of Singapore and keep all your money domiciled here, but invest in global growth areas or just follow the MSCI allocation with some tilt if you want.

sndy
Regular
Regular

Post by sndy » Mon, 27 Sep 2021 11:19 am

If you can commit to a long term investment and wants to benefit from growth of developing nation then Nifty makes sense. That's where majority of my money is parked.

SGX to me is more of a dividend market, invested in few good stocks for diversification and stable returns.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Wed, 29 Sep 2021 4:29 am

I wonder how much the GIC has dumped into Evergrande stocks and bonds.