Singapore Expats

Keeping Condo Gym Open

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Keeping Condo Gym Open

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 3:20 pm

Is anyone's condo still keeping gym open under the current BCA covid requirements?

If yes, would like to hear what approach did your MA take and how they've implemented the vaccinated status checks>

Search By

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Keeping Condo Gym Open

Post by smoulder » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 4:20 pm

Our gym is open although I am not too clued in on how they manage things because I prefer working out at anytime fitness (I lift some serious weight).

Edit I just looked for their announcement. This might help you :.

Approach Security Guardhouse to register and obtain the Gymnasium Access Card
Residents are to show the Duty Security via their Trace-Together app on fully-vaccinated status.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 4:44 pm

Thanks, that sounds feasible.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 5:02 pm

Yep. Very easy to implement. They've suspended online bookings of course. Also, workouts are mask free which is compliant with the minimum guidelines from the gahmen.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 11:45 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Wed, 22 Sep 2021 3:20 pm
Is anyone's condo still keeping gym open under the current BCA covid requirements?

If yes, would like to hear what approach did your MA take and how they've implemented the vaccinated status checks>
Yes, our gym is still open. They’ve cut off card access to the gym, instead residents must go to the guardhouse, flash their vaccination status and then take a special key from the guards to access the gym.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 11:47 pm

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 22 Sep 2021 4:20 pm
Our gym is open although I am not too clued in on how they manage things because I prefer working out at anytime fitness (I lift some serious weight).

Residents are to show the Duty Security via their Trace-Together app on fully-vaccinated status.
I’ve been thinking about registering for a membership at anytime fitness (there’s one 800m from my condo) but haven’t found any membership fees online. If you don’t mind sharing, how much does the membership cost you and how long is the commitment period?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 11:48 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Wed, 22 Sep 2021 4:44 pm
Thanks, that sounds feasible.
Pretty sure it’s standard among most condos, I actually think it’s a pretty good approach. Residents can still work out at the gym and management does not need to worry about unvaccinated residents gaining access.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 11:49 pm

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 22 Sep 2021 5:02 pm
Yep. Very easy to implement. They've suspended online bookings of course. Also, workouts are mask free which is compliant with the minimum guidelines from the gahmen.
Mask-free is the best part. Working out with a mask was unbearable for me, I had to resort to doing my cardio outdoors because I could not breathe properly with it on.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:13 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 22 Sep 2021 11:47 pm
smoulder wrote:

I’ve been thinking about registering for a membership at anytime fitness (there’s one 800m from my condo) but haven’t found any membership fees online. If you don’t mind sharing, how much does the membership cost you and how long is the commitment period?
Sure no problem. I'm paying on a monthly basis. It works out to be around 90 something dollars and it allows me access to any AF on the island... I can't remember the exact cost but it's around there. It's probably a bit more expensive than a membership where you pay everything upfront but after the California fitness fiasco, I have been quite clear that there will be no lumpsum payments.

I do find AF very convenient - they are everywhere and they are open 24x7. For me it's a good mix of sufficient weight and cardio machines. No nonsense, no frills.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:41 am

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:13 am
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:

Sure no problem. I'm paying on a monthly basis. It works out to be around 90 something dollars and it allows me access to any AF on the island... I can't remember the exact cost but it's around there. It's probably a bit more expensive than a membership where you pay everything upfront but after the California fitness fiasco, I have been quite clear that there will be no lumpsum payments.

I do find AF very convenient - they are everywhere and they are open 24x7. For me it's a good mix of sufficient weight and cardio machines. No nonsense, no frills.
Wow, thats so much more reasonable than what I had in mind. Is the price a set price or is it the kind of gym where they size you up and then quote you a price?

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 10:45 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:41 am
smoulder wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

Wow, thats so much more reasonable than what I had in mind. Is the price a set price or is it the kind of gym where they size you up and then quote you a price?
LOL, I'm not entirely sure. I *think* it is a fixed price - it's been a while but I don't recall anything during the sign up process that made me feel like I was being sized up. My wife was with me too and she's usually the one who catches that stuff - she seemed OK.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 25 Sep 2021 2:32 am

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 10:45 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:41 am
smoulder wrote:

LOL, I'm not entirely sure. I *think* it is a fixed price - it's been a while but I don't recall anything during the sign up process that made me feel like I was being sized up. My wife was with me too and she's usually the one who catches that stuff - she seemed OK.
I see, I was about to renew my boxing membership, but might have to give AF a second look now that I know how affordable it actually is. Thanks for sharing!

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 25 Sep 2021 9:34 am

Yes I believe those boxing or fight focused gyms must be quite a bit on the pricey side because they are considered more niche.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sat, 25 Sep 2021 9:53 am

smoulder wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:

Thanks for sharing this. I might have a look at this option too, it's about half the price I pay at VirginActive. I do like them though especially the fact that they provide the exercise gear, so I dont need to carry sweaty clothes around with me. But that was more relevant when I was going to office, and could pop by gym in the middle of the day when I had a break between meetings . Now that's less relevant and the fact that most locations are in CBD is not helpful either as I never go there.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 25 Sep 2021 10:50 am

My workouts are usually once during the week and then Saturdays and Sundays. But at some point before covid, I would workout during my lunch break - the thing is that I would sometimes be at Alexandra road and on other days I would be at Raffles place for meetings. So I found AF convenient because they are at all 3 locations - Alexandra, Raffles Place and 2 buildings away from my condo. Yes the only thing is that you have to carry smelly clothes which was a small price to pay for all the other benefits.

Interesting thing is that before AF, I worked out at a few gyms in the cbd. I used to actually enjoy going there on weekends because it was quite peaceful!

Nowadays, thanks to covid, I have developed a liking for jogging once a week in the neighborhood. Usually at 10pm. I do look forward to it - even though my main fitness goals revolve around lifting heavy weights.